Strollers, car seats, and more!

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Strollers, car seats, and more!

Postby babyhopeful » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:21 am

Hello!

I started looking into strollers for our two babies to come. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on strollers and anything else that multiple parents need to consider.

I saw some double strollers but see that some will need adapters for newborns so wanted to know what people bought, and what worked and didn't work.

Beyond strollers, what else should I be getting that accommodates twins?

Thanks!
5+6: Saw two sacs!
9+2: Baby A :hb:180 & Baby B :hb:189
12+1: Baby A :hb: 156 & Baby B :hb: 146
14: Baby A :hb: 164 & Baby B :hb: 150
15+1: Baby A :hb: 155 & Baby B :hb: 145
19+6: Baby Girl is 11 oz :hb: 157 & Baby Boy is 10 oz :hb: 154
25+5: Baby Boy :hb: 158, Baby Girl: :hb: 153
27+5: Baby Boy weighs 2lb5oz; Baby Girl weighs 2lb3oz

FX for healthy babies!
babyhopeful
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Strollers, car seats, and more!

Postby lmtc430 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:36 am

I can't tell you what works and doesn't since my babies aren't born yet but I can tell you some of the things we are getting.

I did a lot of searching online (specifically Pinterest) on what twin moms need and can do without. I think a lot of people assume you'll need 2 of everything but that is definitely not the case. You will want to decide where and how your babies will sleep. For example, we decided we didn't want our babies to sleep together due to safety and a recommendation from my aunt who is a NICU nurse. We are getting the Graco Pack N Play for twins as a bassinet to use during the day for sleeping/napping. Also, we bought two cribs and our plan is to put babies in them from day 1 but if for some reason that doesn't work or I need them closer, we are going to put the pack n play next to our bed.

Of course, you'll need 2 car seats. We were gifted the Baby Trend Sit N Stand double stroller, which works with various infant car seats (we are getting the Baby Trend Flex Loc). We decided on that stroller because it accommodates the car seats we wanted AND it will work for a couple years as they grow. I haven't used the stroller but I did set it up and I think it will work great.

We are trying not to spend too much so that's another consideration in figuring out what to buy. For blankets, clothes, things like that, we are just trying to get enough to share between both babies. I haven't bought a lot of clothing since I received a lot of used baby clothes but the ones I do buy, I try to make sure both babies can wear, which is a bit harder since we are expecting a boy and girl.

Also, another thing to think about is feeding. I'm planning on breastfeeding and hopefully can learn to tandem feed. I was given a pillow (My Breastfriend) and two Boppy pillows for this. We are going to buy a couple different brands of bottles so that we have several options in case I have to pump earlier than expected (I will be pumping when I go back to work after 12 weeks). Also, if you do plan to pump, think about what kind of pump you'll get. A lot of insurances cover breast pumps.

I am probably missing a lot! It took me a long time to figure out what to put on our registry and what to buy. But you'll figure it out and I learned a lot through a Multiples class I took through our hospital. I think the reality is that we can prepare ourselves before as best as possible but it will only be after babies come that we really figure out what we need!!!

Congratulations on twins by the way!
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby babyhopeful » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:01 am

Thanks for the info! I didn't see this till now :)

I feel like I'll be in the same boat as you in not wanting to get two of everything and waiting for some of the stuff we need later. We're also having a boy and girl and luckily I love neutrals and the girl can wear more boyish neutral clothes! The one thing that has been plaguing me is finding the right stroller for us. I want a tandem but want to make sure it will work for us for a long time. Originally we were looking at the city select, baby jogger but the cost is too much when you have to buy all the accessories. Leaning towards the contours now but I'll check out the baby trend. Hopefully they have it at babies r us for us to play around with it.

I remember reading people getting help with their breast pump so I'll definitely look into what my insurance will cover!

We aren't planning on a baby shower so we're cluelessly just looking at things one at a time :) Thanks for all the tips!
5+6: Saw two sacs!
9+2: Baby A :hb:180 & Baby B :hb:189
12+1: Baby A :hb: 156 & Baby B :hb: 146
14: Baby A :hb: 164 & Baby B :hb: 150
15+1: Baby A :hb: 155 & Baby B :hb: 145
19+6: Baby Girl is 11 oz :hb: 157 & Baby Boy is 10 oz :hb: 154
25+5: Baby Boy :hb: 158, Baby Girl: :hb: 153
27+5: Baby Boy weighs 2lb5oz; Baby Girl weighs 2lb3oz

FX for healthy babies!
babyhopeful
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lmtc430 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:23 am

Figuring out a stroller becomes easier when you think about when and how you'll use it. I had to realize that I wasn't going to be taking 2 newborns to a whole bunch of places but will need a stroller if I am alone. That's why I liked the Sit N Stand (Graco makes a similar stroller) because it had the ability to convert from using an infant car seat to just a regular stroller, which will be useful as the twins get bigger. I liked the long profile instead of wide - not sure why though. Some complaints about the Baby Trend stroller was that the basket in the bottom isn't that big and it isn't but it's plenty big for odds and ends and maybe even a medium diaper bag. Honestly, we only saw it in the store once and didn't even play with it. I just researched reviews online and hoped it would work! The only other big thing to think about is trunk space!!!! I didn't think about that before getting the stroller and I drive a smaller car (Kia Forte). Luckily, it fits like a glove and I have just enough space to put some other things if needed.

We had a baby shower and received a lot of the essentials but really, most of the things we've gotten have come used - clothing, blankets, etc. I also told people in the beginning I would take used clothing just to save money and I'm glad I did. We are probably well covered for the first 6 months and maybe even a year!

Some people stockpile diapers but I was told not to until you figure out which brand works best. We have a couple small packs of various brands in newborn size and size 1 but we do stock up on wipes and hygiene products. When I go to the store and see baby shampoo on sale, I usually get it. It's been an interesting experience preparing because my husband has 3 other kids but has never raised 2 together so even he doesn't always know what we need and how much.
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby WilmaMeade » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:58 am

I am already expecting twins and to manage both with my work my husband got a twin stroller from Babyography.
WilmaMeade

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More