QUAD SCREEN TESTING?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Would you or have you done the AFP, Quad screening?

Declined
47%
Took it the screening
53%

Total votes : 17

QUAD SCREEN TESTING?

Postby JADE0199 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:48 am

Hi everyone,

I didn't plan on doing any testing and definitely not any invasive testing but at my last OB appt the midwife/dr (not sure which) gave me the script to have the Quad screening done. She said that the u/s can sometimes miss anomolies I guess things such as heart conditions etc (which I still have to confirm that in anything I've read) and seems to just screen for Downs, Trisomy and spina bifida, all of which I think can be detected on an u/s. She said that if they did detect something and the baby or babies required special medical attention, they would be able to accommodate that need in advance, so it's got me thinking.

anyhoo, I want to do what's best for the babies but am so afraid of a fasle + or incorrect reading because I'm carrying identical twins. And am also concerned they won't calculate the correct age since I conceived with donor eggs, our donor was 26 yo.

What do you girls think? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
Cathy
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Betteb » Fri May 09, 2008 1:04 pm

We did NOT do the screenings. We spoke at length w/ our High Risk OB about it b/c all my friends did it. She said look, you are young and your risk is low. (used to only do screening if over 35..now offer to everyone)If you do the test, the risk for false positive is higher b/c of twins and then it comes down to, do you want to do Amnio...higher risk of bad stuff happening w/ Amnio w/ twins and will you take that risk? If not, then no point in doing screening. She said ALL the things they find out in screening they can tell at 18 week anatomy u/s except downs, hard to tell on u/s. BUT risk for downs for my age bracket was much lower then risk for something bad happening during amnio..I wasn't going to risk it. It took us a very long time to conceive and a lot of money and I wasn't going to put babies in harm. It's a VERY personal choice though. We really battled with it.
Me 29, DH 37
Twinkies born 5.13.08 at 33 weeks
Sydney 4lbs 6oz
Ethan 3lbs 6oz
Betteb
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby JADE0199 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Thanks Betteb for replying. I was alittle surprised that she even suggested it, was even alittle pushy about it but said that it could possibly find other defects like a heart defect but I haven't seen that in print anywhere. All I have read was that it tests for Trisomy, Downs and spina bifida. I know it has a high false + rate especially with twins and like you said, if we aren't going to do the amnio, why bother. I'm definitely NOT doing the amnio and like you said, the risk of downs in your age bracket was much lower than the risk for something bad happening during amnio, and with us using donor eggs, I fall into that group. I know they recommend the test for women over 35, but is it common to offer it to everyone pg now?

I know exactly what you mean, it took us a long time to conceive too (over 2 years) and tons of money, cost of IVF + donor fees, etc. I remember you from the IVF boards! :congrats: on your twins!! You are far along now, almost there!! How are you feeling?

Thanks to everyone who voted in my poll.
Cathy
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby esbi » Fri May 09, 2008 7:43 pm

I really wasn't going to have it but at the last minute decided that I wouldn't take the results to mean the worst as I know with multiples the test can be off. In the end everything came out just fine and I was glad for the peace of mind.

esbi
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Betteb » Sat May 10, 2008 5:17 am

My OB said the only thing it tested for was those three things you mentioned: Trisomy, Downs and spina bifida and as previously mentioned Downs is only one they can't see on ultrasound.

I have never heard of them detecting for heart conditions and I would have to assume this is false b/c I actually had a higher risk for a heart defect as I had a sister die very young from a heart defect and the thing my ob suggested to rule that out was a Fetal Echocardiogram at like 23 weeks or something. The echo sees everything in the heart and takes a very close look so again, they could detect anything then and be prepared at delivery if there was a defect. An echo is an intense u/s and does not harm/risk the babies at all.

Yes they recommend/suggest the screening for EVERYONE now..all ages. ALL of my friends (26-29yrs old) have had it done. I am the ONLY one who did not. I actually assumed I would until speaking to the OB and hearing her point of view, we agreed. IF not doing an amnio then why put yourself thru it, so you can stress your entire pregnancy. I really was a crazy infertile patient, always obsessed and questioning the RE etc. and I just wasn't going to let my pregnancy be like that. I finally wanted to enjoy this. I have seen friends who get a false positive and are so worried for so long just to find out things are ok. THat being said, MOST people like to know, but I seriously think those are the words of people who come back with a negative test, of course then they are happy they did it. Again, this is just my opinion, take some time to really think what's best for you both! (Almost everyone I asked said to DO IT, even my sister who has a son, but again she got pregnant on the first try so really didn't understand how precious these babies where to us)

Yes I rememeber you too from ivf boards. I am so glad you are here!! I have about a month left and I feel good. Def getting tired and uncomfy but so excited. My biggest advice is to take it easy during pregnancy, lay down , be lazy, it is the best thing for your babies. Eat as much as OB says, I was petrafied to gain soo much weight but I listened to OB and my babies are great weights now. OH and be ready at like 30 weeks (closets cleaned etc.) b/c after that doing anything is just exhausting. Vs. like singleton pregnancy my friends at like 36 weeks were running around doing stuff.
Me 29, DH 37
Twinkies born 5.13.08 at 33 weeks
Sydney 4lbs 6oz
Ethan 3lbs 6oz
Betteb
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Lynner405 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:39 pm

It's a totally personal choice to do the test of not....but just my two cents my peri told me NOT to get the test done because false positives with multiples is really high, and the u/s I got at 20 weeks was so thorough that they would have seen pretty much anything that could have been wrong with the babies.
ImageImage

ImageImage
Lynner405
Angel
Angel

Postby Leighsah » Sat May 10, 2008 6:17 pm

I'm totally lurking....

I had that test done when I was about 19 weeks pregnant. I will never have that test again. I got a false positive for Down Syndrome and spent a week worrying myself to death before a genetic ultrasound was done.....my son does not have Down Syndrome.

Just caused me to worry unnecessarily.....my doctor was pushing for me to have it done, so I did. But I won't with any other pregnancies.

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More