blighted ovum and symptoms

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

blighted ovum and symptoms

Postby iamshannon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi girls, hoping someone with some experience can help!

I got a surprise BFP for a July baby, but three ultrasounds have shown an empty sac, so it's been diagnosed a blighted ovum. They gave me the option of waiting, cytotec, or D&C, and I really wanted to wait it out.

However, the last few days I've started having what I assume are pregnancy symptoms, as I feel pretty much as miserable as I did in the first trimester with my first pregnancy... extreme fatigue, horrible headaches, nausea, reflux, constipation... I feel awful! I can barely get off the couch and I have a precocious little one to chase. :) I really wanted to wait it out but if I'm going to feel pregnancy symptoms until my body finally decides to let go and pass the sac, I don't know if I can do it.

- Did anyone with a blighted ovum have this same situation?

- And if anyone waited it out, how long did it take?

- Did anyone take the cytotec and how long did that take?

- Also, did anyone have symptoms leading up to a miscarriage? Like, maybe these are AF-type symptoms and bleeding will come along eventually?

Arrrghhh!!!
Shannon 29 | DH Joshua 32 | DSS Noah 3 | Eli Samuel 3.18.09

iamshannon
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Garnergirl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:15 pm

I waited it out. First, because I'd read lots of stories about misdiagnosed blighted ovums and miscarriages (my best friend was diagnosed with a miscarriage and on the the day of her d&C, the doctor said, let's do one last ultrasound, and there was a beautiful, thriving baby in there) and Second, because I was getting married a week after we were told we had the blighted ovum. I didn't want to have the d&c and risk being in pain for the wedding.

I didn't have any symptoms at that point. I felt pretty good. My pain and exhaustion, extreme cramping, etc., didn't start until I started bleeding, the night of my wedding. Up till then, I was symptomless, from about 5 weeks on. I do know that hcg can continue to increase even with a blighted ovum, which might be why you're having symptoms, but it seems like you shouldn't be feeling this badly.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. My instinct is this - if I were in your place, I would wait it out. And if the symptoms get worse over the next day or two and you still haven't started to miscarry, I would go back to the doctor and ask for a final confirmation u/s. I wouldn't be able to get out of my mind the possibility that the debris had turned into a baby.

I wouldn't wait long, though - some doctors suggest d&c because of risk of infection, so if you're really feeling terrible, go back to the doctor, just in case it's that.

That's all I can offer, my experience with b/o, my opinion and my sympathy. Please take good care!! Good luck to you.
Donna: 42 Brad: 38 Married 5.2.09
DS Declan born 5.17.10
DD Delia born 12.28.11

Garnergirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Pregnant After a Loss