PG with suspected LPD (xpost from high risk forum) (updated)

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

PG with suspected LPD (xpost from high risk forum) (updated)

Postby NinaBear » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:30 am

I just found out I'm pg again after a december miscarriage, which I have strong suspicions was due to a luteal phase defect. I'm still bfing my 16 month old DD, and I've read that high prolactin levels can cause low progesterone levels, and that low progesterone is responsible for LPD.

Well my luteal phases were always 8-9 days long until my BFP last fall (m/c). Again it was short in January when I got AF, but now I'm pg again. I'm hoping to get in to see a doc on Monday and am praying I can convince them to test my progesterone levels.

This time around, I'm only bfing DD 4 times a day (with the last pregnancy it was 6 or more times a day). Also, I'm 10 pounds heavier which I'm hoping will help the progesterone levels (I was 106 pounds last pregnancy and 116 now). Finally, I am taking extra B6 and Vitamin C in addition to my prenatal as I read that can lengthen LP, however it did not work last month when AF arrived (though I was only taking it a couple weeks before AF and not the whole cycle at that point).

Does anyone know if the changes I made above might help increase my progesterone this pregnancy and save this baby? TIA!
Last edited by NinaBear on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me: 26, DH: 27, Emma: Born 10/9/08, Brendan: Born 10/30/10

http://thriftymomnina.blogspot.com/
NinaBear
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hmh85 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:50 am

Sorry I do not have an answer for you, but im kind of in the same situation. I also just had a miscarriage in December. :sticky:
hmh85
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby NinaBear » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:01 am

I remember you hmh85. I'll KUP on what the doc says, if she'll even let me come in! I'm going to BEG her (it's a new doc that I tried to see before but she only lets you come in after 8 wks of pregnancy, but I'm hoping I can convince her to see me now since of my previous M/C).

NinaBear
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AshleyGatMax » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 pm

I had LPD, well not diagnosed by a doctor, but my LP was only 6-8 days the 3 cycles before my BFP. I am using a progesterone cream I bought at Walmart. Doctor said it is okay to continue til about 10 weeks pregnancy, then stop it because there would be no further benefit. I am also taking B6.
Me-31 DH- 32
2 sons, Gatlin born 9/10/10 and Maxton born 3/3/09 with congenital diaphragmatic hernia, passed away 3/21/09

Miscarriages- June 2012, August 2012, August 2013
BFP 4/30/14, Due date: tentatively January 11th, 2015
AshleyGatMax
Star Member
Star Member

Postby NinaBear » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 am

Well the new OB got me in this morning and drew a bunch of bloodwork and is testing my progesterone - I'm so relieved that this doc is actually taking me seriously and testing it! I love this new OB, and my results come in tomorrow so I'll know if the progesterone is too low. I'm praying it isn't!

I feel sad and guilty now about the last pregnancy, I was worried about my progesterone being too low with that pg since my LP was short and I'm still bfing, but the OB assured me everything would be fine and never tested me and then I m/ced. I'm really struggling with feelings of remorse, like I should have pushed to be tested and could have saved that baby :( I'm trying to tell myself it was too late anyways as I was 5 weeks and I'm pretty sure the baby died the day after my appointment (my symptoms disappeared and DD was freaking out at the breast that day trying to nurse CONSTANTLY which my La Leche League leaders said could be a sign that the baby died that specific day, since the next day DD was normal and sxs were pretty much gone).

NinaBear
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby DoulaMama » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 am

How great that your new OB is taking you more seriously and testing. :) Do you think that they will also send you for an early u/s??
I think that the changes that you mentioned you made can do nothing but help, for sure.

Do you mind my asking: what do you think would cause DD to freak out when bfing her, the day that you suspect your LO passed?....maybe the drop in hormones..?

Anyways, I am so happy for you and your family and to see you on the PG boards again.

Happy and Healthy 9 months :)
DoulaMama
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NinaBear » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:52 am

At the time I thought my milk supply was plummeting and DD was freaking cause of that (my supply seemed really really really low), however the next day it was back to normal. My LLL leader said something about how the unusually early dip in supply followed by the regular supply next day could have been a sign of the m/c.

NinaBear
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NinaBear » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:29 am

I got my results, and they're good so far! Progesterone 15.6 and HCG 76. So I go for more blood tomorrow just to make sure numbers are going up (I think HCG goes up, but is progesterone supposed to go up too?).

NinaBear
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hmh85 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:39 am

glad to hear your appointment went well
hmh85
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby DoulaMama » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 am

Great news about your results! :)