Progesterone and miscarriages

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Progesterone and miscarriages

Postby abgil » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:55 pm

I found out I was pregnant last Sunday. My doctor put me on progesterone immediately. I have at 2 miscarriages. Well, I started bleeding a little Thursday night. I called the doctor, and he told me that he felt that it was normal and to take it easy this weekend. I have been spotting off and on since.

My question is it possible that the progesterone is stopping me from bleeding? What if I am trying to miscarry? Is the progesterone just masking the miscarriage? I am really worried about this. I don't go see my doctor until March 18th. I am freaking out a little. Can anyone help?

Thank you!
abgil
Star Member
Star Member

Postby flipflop1117 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:30 am

Progesterone wont "mask" a miscarriage, as far as I know and have read. Also, early pregnancy and some light bleeding/spotting can be very normal as the baby is burrowing deeper into the lining. Some women have also reported progesterone causing some spotting, as well. I would try and relax and hope for the best. I know this is easier said then done, as I have had 3 repeat miscarriages. The first two times I was not on progesterone and lost the baby at 6 weeks and then 8 weeks. The last time I was on progesterone and lost the baby at 11 weeks (fetal death 8 weeks). The progesterone didn't effect the loss as it was Triploidy, and unrelated. I bleed heavily the morning of my D&C and may have ended up natrually miscarrying if I had cancelled but went ahead with the D&C anyways.

This time I was on progesterone and had the same thoughts as you, that maybe I would have a missed miscarriage because of the last pregnancy. My doctor assured me that the progesterone wouldnt mask a miscarriage, and that my body just still believed I was still pregnant even after the baby passed and often happens in pregnancies not supported by progesterone suppliments.

Point is really, there is nothing you can do to stop it from happening if it is going to happen. The best thing to do for you and your baby is stay as relaxed and optimistic as possible. I'm two weeks away and still nevrous and anxious but have luckily had a healthy uneventful pregnancy despite my history of loss. :hb: Good luck to you!
"And maybe that's what my scars really are...proof I've put myself back together." ~ Carrie Ryan
Jaxon Russel 3~15~10, Alexa Leigh 10~11~12
flipflop1117

Postby abgil » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:05 am

I am so sorry for your losses, but am excited for you that your baby is almost here! Thank you so much for your reply. It makes me feel a lot better. I know that I will feel even better when I go for my u/s in three weeks.
abgil
Star Member
Star Member

Postby bernababe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm

I was on progesterone suppositories and still miscarried. You will have heavy cramping first and then start spotting. It wont be several days of spotting your body usually passes the baby within 24 hours of miscarriage if you have it before 8 weeks.

Just take it easy and try not to stress, the progesterone can irritate and make you spot. GL hun...I pray for you and your bean to make it to the 2ns tri with flying colors! :)
DD- 10yrs
DS2-3 yrs
Due in december! EDD 12/31/2013
Our angel Kyle Ethan 07/2007 @ 24wks
m/c 5weeks 4days July 2009
m/c 5weeks April 2011
Baby Fiona due 12/31/2013
PCOS dx 2009

bernababe
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Pregnant After a Loss