Tests Needed When You're Pregnant After a Miscarriage

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Tests Needed When You're Pregnant After a Miscarriage

Postby galexander » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi you all,

I'm newly pregnant and, like a lot of you here, anxious because my last pregnancy ended at around 10.5 weeks (a missed miscarriage, with growth halted at around 5.5-6 weeks). I had a D & C and I got the karyotyping done and it indicated a triploidy pregnancy, which I know is incidental--that there is no increased risk in future pregnancies, etc.

I'm still wondering, though, would any of you be expecting to get into your doctor's earlier, the next time you were pregnant--would you be expecting betas?

At this point, my doctor is treating it like a regular pregnancy, and I'm supposed to see him for the first time at 8 weeks (I'm at 5 weeks now). Would you be expecting anything different if it were any of you? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!
galexander
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby abgil » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:41 pm

I am so sorry for your loss.

I was expecting my doctor to want to to betas and early ultrasounds when I got pregnant this time (I have had two past miscarriages), but he didn't. I didn't see my doctor until I was 8 weeks. I had a HSG and a hysteroscopy before getting pregnant this time, and my doctor felt there was no cause for concern. I had a polyp that he took care of during the hysteroscopy, and he thinks that is why I was miscarrying (the babies couldn't implant).

I think that since they didn't find any cause for concern when you miscarried, he feels like everything should be ok. However, if you are stressing and worried about it, I would definitely try to convince him to see me sooner.
Good luck! :)
Me: 36 (Amy)
DH: 29
Hannah Beth: 10 months
BFP- 8/23/2011
ImageImage

abgil
Star Member
Star Member

Postby galexander » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks Abigal--that totally put my mind at ease. Just seeing everyone's betas, you know, I was starting to think to myself: Now Why don't I have betas? But what you're saying makes sense to me.

Good luck to you, too. I hope you have a healthy, thriving pregnancy!
galexander
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Bailey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:16 am

I just had a m/c in Jan. I got a BFP after one cycle. Did not get any special treatment :(
In fact my first appointment is April 5th. I will be 8 weeks and 4 days :roll:

Good luck!
Blighted ovum @ 8 weeks (Jan. 2010)
BFP 3/5/2010 (my 37th B-day)
EDD 11/11/10

Image Image Image
Bailey
Angel
Angel

Postby jade2009 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:43 am

The only thing my Dr did was a couple Betas to make sure I was doubling. I have my 1 st prenatal appt on Monday the 5th.. I will be a little over 7 weeks. :D
Heather 37
hubby 39
DD 18
Twins 16
Ds 13
BFP on 3-13-2010@ 8 dpo
Kyler will be here on 4-04-13 at noon CT

BFP on September 1st 2012 @ 12 DPO

Ashlynn born on November 16, 2010
Ashynn was 2 days old here... was so in love with my little girl

Ashlynn 2 taken in November right before her Birthday
jade2009
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby wantsanothergator » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:44 am

So sorry for your loss.
I think it's normal to be treated as if nothing happened. Unfortunately, miscarriages are common and since you know that the reason for your loss was something that could not have been prevented then there is really no reason for extra tests etc.
I had a m/c and 9 weeks in Feb and found myself pg again before af returned so my doc is doing beta's just to make sure that it's a new pg. Other than that he said there is no reason for any additional tests.
Have a great 9 months!!!!
Me-31
DH-36
DD-Dylan 8-2-08
2/19-MC D and C
3/26 BFP!
Beta#1-13dpo-245
Beta #2-16dpo-908!
6 wks-:hb: hr 119
8 wks- :hb: hr 170 (girl?)
wantsanothergator
Angel
Angel

Postby galexander » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks for all of the replies!

I'm glad to see that there's a consensus among you that, for the most part, after a single miscarriage that is attributed to something incidental, you're considered a normal patient.

In some ways, it's a relief--if that makes sense. I'm glad to know that my doctor doesn't have any additional reason to think that this pregnancy won't be successful.
galexander
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Lovie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:49 pm

Hey galexander,

So sorry for your loss. I had three consecutive mcs one of which was triploidy and when I got pregnant the 4th time, my doctor saw me at around 7 weeks. I also did not get any special treatment. They treated me like I was a firt timer.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Lovie
Angel
Angel

Postby mommyofgirls » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:34 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy! I had 2 prior normal healthy pregnancies than a MC at almost 10 weeks. I got pg again 3 months later and my OB treated me the same as my other pregnancies. I asked her about betas and she said it would be stressful for me and given my history it was on my side to have another successful pregnancy. I was mad at first as I was soooo nervous & worried but she was right. I would have been so stressed and if the numbers were good but not where in my mind they should be I would have been a crying mess for weeks to come. All my visits were the same although she did order an extra ultrasound at 8 weeks to make sure everything was on target.

After my MC before I became pregnant I did see a genetic counselor & had some genetic testing done. Everything came back normal. When I did become pg again my OB did order a bunch of extra tests also. All came out fine except Tay-Sachs and I'm only of 1/3 jewish heredity :roll:
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Pregnant After a Loss