Did any of you get MORE scared after seeing the heartbeat

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did any of you get MORE scared after seeing the heartbeat

Postby twinboys4me » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:58 pm

This pregnancy was a complete surprise! After 3 years of trying with 6 losses 3 diagnosed losses and 3 chemicals we finally gave up and decided to be happy with our 9 year old twins. So that BFP knocked me on my tushie. I was in denial for at least 2 weeks and just now went to the RE for a scan and bloodwork. I have had minimal symptoms, but then again with my first pregnancy I had zero symptoms. I have had spotting off and on the whole time. So I go yesterday absolutely convince that there would be nothing in the uterus like the last time. I even refused to look at the screen until the RE told me to look at the heartbeat. I have a tilted uterus so the baby was measuring a bit small, but even the RE said it was +/- 4 days and then to add a few more b/c my uterus is so retroverted. That would have actually put the little guy ahead by a day or two. My bloodwork came back perfect, but I'm still spotting and scared!

Anyway, today I have been even more terrified of miscarriage than ever. For some reason seeing that heartbeat took it out of "fantasy land" into reality. The baby has arms and legs and a beating heart. IT IS A BABY! There is not way to justify/mitigate the loss if it happens. I don't know how to handle this. I'm so scared.

How do you all deal with the fears and am I the only one that found very little if any relief in seeing the heartbeat. (don't get me wrong I am thrilled that the baby is doing so well)
twinboys4me
Star Member
Star Member

Postby niclet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 am

I am scared too...i think those feelings are normal! I know bad things happen....but I read a study yesterday(see below) that said if a strong heartbeat is detected at 6-7 weeks, your chances of caryying this baby to term is over 95%.....nothing is 100% so just try to relax and enjoy!

http://www.ob-ultrasound.net/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1553 ... t=Abstract
My DD at 11 weeks 3 Days. I love this US pic!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
niclet
Angel
Angel

Postby twinboys4me » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:30 am

Thank you so much for your reassurance. I hope that tomorrow's u/s will ease my mind. If the baby shows adequate growth and such.
twinboys4me
Star Member
Star Member

Postby lreints2010 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:09 am

I'm still scared and I'm almost 23 weeks. I've seen my baby about 7 times via ultrasound. Each time he has been very active and had a perfect heartbeat, but this doesnt stop the worry. I'm worried I'll go into labor early and that will be the end, or i'll get all the way to the end and have a stillborn or something. I dont think my worry will every stop.
Lisa - 31
Steve - 31
DS1 - born 12/8/2010
DS2 - due 12/25/12 c/s schedule 12/18/12
BFP 4/12/12
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
lreints2010
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Pregnant After a Loss