ectopic

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

ectopic

Postby Buffy74 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:02 pm

I was diagnosed a week ago with an ectopic pregnancy after major abdominal pain - mostly on my left side. They did an emergency ultrasound to confirm. Because I was so early ( 5 weeks) and was stable, they have just monitored me closely to make sure my HCG levels drop (which they are)..so they have not done anything invasive such as surgery or medication. Has anyone else had an ectopic without any intervention? For those with previous ectopics, when did you start TTC again? Did you go on to have healthy pregnancies? I'm just so scared to try again. I don't want to go through this again....
Did you do anything different when TTC... I just keep wondering why this happened? I don't have any risk factors...
Thanks! I don't have any friends who have been through this before...
Buffy74
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby JaxJax » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:41 am

I had an ectopic last july and I received the methotrexate injections. There is no real known cause for it, although they say smoking can increase the risk... :?: We didnt try for at least 3 months bc thats what my doctor told me was safest. You can ask for a lapriscopy (sp?) where they take a camera and look at your tubes for blockage or problems, but normally they wouldnt do that unless you had multiple ectopics bc it is so random. I am 5 weeks pregnant today, the exact same time I went to the hospital for my ectopic in my last pregnancy. I havent felt any pain in my side this time around and I have felt a lot of cramping and tugging in my lower abdomen (great signs of a pregnancy in the correct spot!!!) I have an appt the 24th for an u/s so my worries wont be completely alleviated until then, but I do feel much better about this pregnancy. We didnt really do anything different this cycle other than I used OPKs and I started taking my prenatals BEFORE i got pregnant. I know how you are feeling and trust me it does get better. dont lose hope!!! We were going to get a tattoo as a memorial to our angel baby, but I got pregnant again before we ever did it haha. We still plan on getting it bc that was our first pregnancy and it really effected us as a couple. The risk of another ectopic is increased for you now, but its not by much and most of them are so random and unpredictable that you cant let yourself get down about future pregnancies. When you get pregnant again, try to enjoy every moment of it and not worry too much about it! I am so sorry for your loss and if you need to talk about anything (bc most people just dont understand) then you can sent me a pm!
Me- Jackie 25
DH- Michael 26
DSD- London Amaya 1
DS- Devin Ellis 10/6/11 7lbs 15oz
Angel Baby- 7/19/10
BFP 1/25/11 @ 9DPO!!!
It's a BOY!!!!!! EDD 10/6/11
ImageImage
JaxJax
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby niclet » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 am

I had a "suspected" ectopic 4 years ago. I was pregnant right after coming off the pill and my numbers were not doubling. I then starting spotting brown and they could not see anything in the sac. They saw a "maybe spot" on the left side and treated me with 3 rounds of methotrexate. We waited 6 months to try again, but sadly had no success. My advice to you is to be proactive!

1. When I got home (this happened on vacation) my Dr. wanted to remove my tube without even checking it. I said no....thank God as this is the side we have our baby from now!
2. Demand testing! They wanted me to wait a year of trying again but I was scared it would happen again. I bullied my way into a fertility clinic and lied about trying a year to have them check my tubes. It was a simple dye test that confirmed they were open. This made us feel better about TTC.
3. There is no cause sometimes although recent studies suggests that women who are on low progestrone birth control for a long time are more prone to ectopics because it makes the inside of the tube like vasoline.

stay positive and just know...you will get pregnant. Worst case scenario, you use IVF and bypass the tubes all together. Good luck and I am so so very sorry.
My DD at 11 weeks 3 Days. I love this US pic!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
niclet
Angel
Angel

Postby Buffy74 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks so much for the responses! JaxJax- congrats on this pregnancy ... keep me posted on your progress. I have had one healthy pregnancy - I have an amazing 2 year old boy...and really..being pregnant is the most amazing experience...
Niclet- thanks for the advice. A test to confirm if my tubes were open would certainly alleviate some of the stress and worry with trying again
I'm still waiting for my levels to drop to zero..and for a repeat ultrasound to make sure everything is gone. I wonder if the ultrasound would show any info about the tubes for the next time?
Anyway, thanks again ladies! It's reassuring to have 'friends' on here who have been through the same experience. :)
Buffy74
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby meggola » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:07 pm

I know this post is a little old, but I wanted to respond as I went through an ectopic back in August of 2010. The cause of mine was also a mystery. Factors that increase the risk of it happening are certain STDs, PID and previous abdominal surgeries, which can cause scar tissue to form around the fallopian tubes.

The risk of having another ectopic is about 10-15% - so 85-90% that you'll have a non-ectopic, or intrauterine pregnancy.

That's good that you didn't have to have surgery or medical treatment for the ectopic - having those can increase the risk of having another one.

I hope you're doing well, and please PM me if you ever have any questions or need to vent or anything. I don't hang out on the preg boards much - it's too hard since the m/c, but I spend way too much time on the TTC side. Hugs to you!
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby woodwind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:54 pm

I had the methotrexate shots on 2/7 and my hcg numbers were falling appropriately. However, 8 days later I ended up in the ER for severe pain and had a laparoscopy to remove the ectopic. The doc took part of my tube and drained a cyst. (I have 2 girls already, ages 20 & 9, so I definitely wasn't expecting trouble, as I had no problems with either of those pregnancies.) I had my post-op appt almost 2 weeks ago and the doc said we could ttc after my first af, which recently ended. I had a positive opk yesterday.

I started drinking raspberry leaf tea, which is great to help the uterus and the whole reproductive stuff for women. (It also helps with pms and a lot of other things.) I've been drinking a couple of cups a day for the most part, but when I get some more I'm going to make a pitcher of it.

Something else that is supposed to be really helpful is Vitex (chaste tree extract, chaste berry extract). It indirectly raises progesterone levels and helps to regulate hormones and your cycle. It's good for women who have irregular cycles, pms, menopause, etc. The dosage is typically 1000 mg/day. You're not supposed to take it during pregnancy though.

I've also been taking prenatal vitamins, folic acid, vitex, and zinc. After having methotrexate you should really concentrate on replenishing your body with vitamins, especially folic acid since that's the main thing the methotrexate targets and depletes.
woodwind

Postby woodwind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:57 pm

I meant to add that a couple of the docs in the practice suggested the possibility of doing a HSG (the x-ray with the dye) to be sure there weren't any blockages in the tubes. But the doc that did the surgery said the other tube looked great so, at this point, I don't plan on having that done.
woodwind

Return to Pregnant After a Loss