Will Progesterone Cream "Mask" a MC?

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Will Progesterone Cream "Mask" a MC?

Postby jessicaolds1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:35 am

Hi Ladies - My OB put me on Progesterone right away when I got my BFP and he wants me to continue for the first trimester. When I had my miscarriage before, I was not on progesterone and the symptoms started out with pink CM, then went to brown spotting, then bleeding and cramping.

So like most everyone on this board I am constantly checking for blood on TP and looking at my CM. This time around its been absolutely colorless, which is making me feel better! I've had some minor "dull aches" in my uterine area but certainly no cramping like last time.

My question is: Will the Progesterone Cream "hide" a mc? Am I looking at all of these positive signs in vain? I have known other women who have been on the progesterone suppositories and when they mc they got the normal brown/red spotting followed by bleeding - so that should still apply with the cream right?

Sorry if I'm not doing a very good job at explaining :(
jessicaolds1

Postby lilbwitty02 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm no doctor but I think the answer is no. I was put on progesterone for this pregnancy and everything went perfectly. I think if you're going to have a m/c you'll know, regardless if you're on a supplement. I understand the paranoia...I'm 5 months along and still have days where I check the t.p. 'just in case'. But everything is well with my little boy. Good luck to you!!
lilbwitty02
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessicaolds1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Thank you :) Based on everything that I can track down on the internet your right - if your going to mc you'll have the same symptoms/signs even if your on the progesterone.
jessicaolds1

Postby zohbeeeee » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:52 am

I don't know about progesterone supplementation as I have never been on it.
But when I had my miscarriage I never had any signs. My baby stopped growing but the part that was the placenta kept chugging along. This is known as a missed miscarriage.

I don't mean to scare you. I just wanted to give you accurate info since you asked. I am sure your baby will be fine. Those first few weeks while waiting to see the heartbeat can be long and anxiety filled. Especially after you have experienced a miscarriage. I was also checking the toilet paper like a maniac. Heck I am now 21 weeks and still checking.

Have you seen the heartbeat yet? If so you can take solace in the fact that once you have a heartbeat you have a 90% chance of NOT having a miscarriage.
zohbeeeee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lovie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

This is my experience, with my third mc, I was on the progesterone cream (vaginal inserts) and my mc was the exact as you have described. For my 4th pregnancy I was on progesterone (oral—prometrium) and never saw any signs of spotting. So, I would say that if you are not seeing anything on tp—then I would assume it to be a very good sign.

I don’t know about anyone else, but for my three mcs (they were consecutives), I was spotted at or around 7 weeks...with my one successful pregnancy, I never saw even a tinged of cream/brown.

Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy.

Lovie
Angel
Angel

Postby bernababe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:47 pm

I was on prog suppositories and still had a mc in july 2009.
DD- 10yrs
DS2-3 yrs
Due in december! EDD 12/31/2013
Our angel Kyle Ethan 07/2007 @ 24wks
m/c 5weeks 4days July 2009
m/c 5weeks April 2011
Baby Fiona due 12/31/2013
PCOS dx 2009

bernababe
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Pregnant After a Loss