Increased risk for PPD?

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Increased risk for PPD?

Postby Shannon88 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:45 am

My husband mentioned to me that he is very concerned about me having PPD this time around. I thought to myself, how could that happen? I'm finally (God-willing) going to have a baby to take home! I won't miss being pregnant, and I will be overjoyed to finally have a baby to hold. What do you think? Does having a baby after a loss (or multiple losses) put you at an increased risk for post-partnum depression? I thought that was for women who really enjoyed being pregnant and all the extra attention. We are concealling and not telling anyone for the simple fact that we DON'T want extra attention. Am I wrong?
** Shannon **

Proud Submariner Wife to Eric 05/28/2005

Proud Mommy to Jeremy Ryan ~ born safely 08/03/2007 and Savannah Grace ~ born into Heaven 05/18/2009 & 4 MC Angels

http://www.savannahgracerenfro.blogspot.com/

Shannon88

Postby MicheleLM » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:55 am

Anyone can get post partum depression. Hormones are all over the place and it doesn't matter how much you love or hate being pregnant. I think after a loss or losses (especially later losses) there could be a higher risk only because it could bring back memories of the babies you lost and don't get to hold. I don't know about statistics, but it makes sense to me that there could be more emotional turmoil that could fuel PPD. Really though, any woman who goes through pregnancy or miscarriage can develop PPD from the hormone fluctuations and it can happen many months after delivery too, not just right away.
*DD -12-22-08
*DS - 05-03-12
:angel: 4 Angel Babies:
Chemical, DS 17w, DD 9w, Blighted Ovum 9w

MyBlog: http://www.tryingagainajourneyoflove.blogspot.com
MicheleLM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flipflop1117 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:17 am

I've had many, many losses and did not get PPD after Jax :) Hopefully that will ease your mmind a bit. I agree with the PP that anyone can get it regardless of circumstance. It's chemical so it's going to be hit or miss, I think.
"And maybe that's what my scars really are...proof I've put myself back together." ~ Carrie Ryan
Jaxon Russel 3~15~10, Alexa Leigh 10~11~12
flipflop1117

Postby ritzy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:24 pm

I didn't have PPD after DD1 but did after the twins. It's all hormonal and anyone can get it. Sleep deprivation is also a huge trigger. I think mine was also intensified by the fact that I was no longer TTC. It sounds strange but we had been dealing with infertility for so long (7 years) and it had consumed my entire being for all that time, that it was very hard to no longer have that to focus on. I almost felt lost for a time. My PPD is almost gone now, I'm finally coming out of the fog and I am feeling much better, but for a time it was really hard. Learn the signs and symptoms now, and say something if you are feeling depressed. I had an enormous conversation about it with the twins pediatrician and it helped a lot. It is nothing to be ashamed of, and needs to be taken seriously. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Michelle 40 DH 39
DD1 6/18/03
MC:12/4/09 We will always love you baby girl!
Twin DD & DS 3/21/11- Our IVF Miracles!
M/C 5/3/12 Always in our hearts....

ritzy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HappyGoLucky » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:02 am

It took us almost 4 years and I had 4 early losses.
After my Hazel was born I was the exact opposite of depressed, she's almost 3 months old and I'm still on a natural high, completely intoxicated by her.
Relieved that I finally carried to term and that Im no longer ttc, I'd forgotten what life was like before ttc we had been at it so long!
I wouldn't worry about ppd, for me I was depressed the first tri when I was so afraid of a loss but after that I was high flying!
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Pregnant After a Loss