HCG & other monitoring after recurrent MC's

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

HCG & other monitoring after recurrent MC's

Postby drsamyjohn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi ladies, I've been stalking this site since my first MC in August 2012. That pregnancy was a surprise but after losing the baby at 9 weeks, I was seriously on a mission. No special care during that pregnancy because I've never had problems up to that point, I have a healthy 7 year old. Went in for first scan to find no heartbeat :-( I MC naturally two weeks later. Since then I have been consumed, almost obsessed with having a baby. I will be 35 in July and my goal was to have a healthy pregnancy before that as I can't shake the "Its all downhill from there" feeling. (Fertility wise.)

I got pregnant again two cycles later. I booked my normal first OB appointment at approx 6 weeks, but lost the baby before the appointment took place.

I kept that appointment and asked the OB to help me find out why I was losing the babies. She ran all kinds of tests and only came back with positive for the MTHFR gene mutation, and a low thyroid. She recommended a daily baby asprin and 4mgs of folic acid.

Fast foward 5 months, after TONS of OPKS, HPT's, FertileAid, FertileCM, and OVABoost, I got a BFP May 25. My positive OPK was May 12. So I am assuming I O'd somewhere between the 12th & the 15th.

I was able to get in to the OB right away, at 4w3d. There was nothing to be seen on the ultrasound, but the tech prepared me for that, the doc put me on twice daily injections of Heparin, as well as thyroid medication, and they did bloodwork. MY HCG WAS ONLY 86!!!This freaked me out. I have been on the internet NONSTOP, searching for success stories for low HCG pregnancies.

I went back 5 days later for a repeat beta, it was 404. Now I've done the math, the doubling time is 53.something hours, or 2.2 days, I've read all I can find, yet I can't stop worrying about the low number.

Here's my real problem I guess....the doctor didn't want anything further to happen until THE END OF JUNE! No more betas, no more US's, NOTHING.

Am I just being a freak or should they be monitoring me more closely? I would really like to know if there is hope for a healthy baby, rather than be in this limbo self protection mode until the 8 week scan. At least if I can see the HCG going up or down I would KNOW what to expect. As it stands I will go the next three weeks scared to death.

I'm just so so scared. Scared of the low beta's, scared of not knowing, scared they aren't doing enough monitoring....What in the world should I DO?

Any advise or thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you and baby dust to all~ Amy
drsamyjohn
Friend

Re: HCG & other monitoring after recurrent MC's

Postby Alberta_born » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:51 am

I think your numbers are great! They are doubling, and remember it doesn't matter what the initial number is, just that it is doubling. Once you hit I beleive 6 weeksish they stop doubling but continue to rise. 86 is a great number :) I know it's hard not to think about, when I had 4 mc in a row with no reasons as to why I freaked out about everything, especially if someone has as far along as me and they has symptoms, or higher numbers. That being said, you need to step away from google!!!! I was scared right until I could feel her moving, then after that I was scared if she wouldn't move as much as I thought she should. Hugs!

Thare are mnay ladies here who can help you get through the first weeks until you are scanned or can hear hb/movement. Did you join a ddc yet?
Lori
dh~Keith

Our Little Emmett
Alberta_born
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hopeful88 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Congrats on your BFP! I know how hard it is this early on...few symptoms, etc. But as Alberta_born said, your numbers doubled so that should be a huge relief! Don't worry about the number as long as they are doing what they are supposed to. So are you around 5 weeks now? I know the next 3 weeks will seem like an eternity.

I had an u/s done on Tue at 6 weeks and we were able to see a heartbeat which was a huge relief. (Never saw one the last time despite waiting in case it was a slow grower.) Of course, I'm still really nervous. Luckily my dr said it was up to me if I came back in 1 or 2 weeks. I opted for 1.

I'm not sure there's much they can do early on, but you can try asking for an u/s earlier. Of course the later you go, the more you see...maybe try for 7 weeks instead of 8?

I know it's hard, but hang in there!
Me- 36
DH-31
Baby #1 EDD 1/25/14
It's a Girl!

mc Jan 13, D&C Feb 13

hopeful88
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby jlnelson1980 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 pm

I think 86 is a great number! My first number was 39.5! I am now 11w1d. Everything that you are feeling is entirely normal. I have two living children age 11 and 1. We decided we wanted one more....and I got pregnant in Sept only to have a CP.....February we got pregnant again for me to have yet another CP. So I understand your worry. I had my first beta drawn and only one more to follow and then had to wait until 7 weeks for my first u/s cuz my doctor also didn't want to do anymore. My HCG levels doubled and my progesterone was looking great! It was a stress filled few weeks. I bet, however, that if you call your doctor and tell her/him you are looking for reassurance and want another u/s they will do it for you. My doctor always says that it is better not to stress and see the patient because the success rate for women who do not stress is greater than those that do.

Monday, I landed in the ER cuz I started to spot:( I was freaking out as you can imagine. The ER gave me no answers so I ended up going to the doctor on Tuesday to find out I had a small tear in my gestational sac and it is fairly common in women. Baby was still moving around and had a great heart rate, but again the doctor told me to call if I need anything so he can see me to reassure me.

Please just hang in there! You are not alone. The worry does not go away! Not sure that it ever does for those of us who have experienced a mc....but this is a great support site!!!
jlnelson1980

Postby drsamyjohn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:35 am

Alberta_born wrote:I think your numbers are great! They are doubling, and remember it doesn't matter what the initial number is, just that it is doubling. Once you hit I beleive 6 weeksish they stop doubling but continue to rise. 86 is a great number :) I know it's hard not to think about, when I had 4 mc in a row with no reasons as to why I freaked out about everything, especially if someone has as far along as me and they has symptoms, or higher numbers. That being said, you need to step away from google!!!! I was scared right until I could feel her moving, then after that I was scared if she wouldn't move as much as I thought she should. Hugs!

Thare are mnay ladies here who can help you get through the first weeks until you are scanned or can hear hb/movement. Did you join a ddc yet?

Hey thanks so much for your post! Its SO nice to communicate with others who know EXACTLY how I feel! And your comments about my numbers helped me take a deep breath.

You are SO RIGHT about leaving Google alone!

So you had a healthy daughter after four mc? I'm sorry for your losses, but so happy to hear your daughter is healthy! Are you still TTC? How have things been for you?

What is a ddc? I can't wait to connect with more ladies like us!

Have a great day!
~ Amy
drsamyjohn
Friend

Postby Alberta_born » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Amy, A DDC is a due date club :) I take it your due in Jan/Feb? You can join the dute date clubs and connect with ladies who are due the same month as you :) It is a great support and most of the ladies are having the same fears or anxieties that you are/will experience.

Yes I had a healthy daughter after 4 unexplained mc's :) She was is perfect in every way. Now I am expecting our first son! I've had 5 misscarriages altogether, but 4 were one after another. I had every testing under the sun as well as DH. Everything was "normal". My family was so supportive but my best support was my dog. Everyone tries to give words or encouragemnt, which they mean well, but that was just not what I needed at that time. I just needed someone to hold while I cried, and not say anything, or any judgement. (Which I totally did a full on toddler IT'S NOT FAIR!!" tantrum.) she came and snuggled me and was just there for me. When I did need someone to talk to, the ladies on this forum were truly amazing. It was so nice to connect with people who understood my feelings, and who had gone through the same (or similar) experiences. They will help you get through this first initial month until your scan :)

Congratulations again, and I look forward to hearing about your pregnancy!

Lori
Lori
dh~Keith

Our Little Emmett
Alberta_born
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby drsamyjohn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:20 am

hopeful88 wrote:Congrats on your BFP! I know how hard it is this early on...few symptoms, etc. But as Alberta_born said, your numbers doubled so that should be a huge relief! Don't worry about the number as long as they are doing what they are supposed to. So are you around 5 weeks now? I know the next 3 weeks will seem like an eternity.

I had an u/s done on Tue at 6 weeks and we were able to see a heartbeat which was a huge relief. (Never saw one the last time despite waiting in case it was a slow grower.) Of course, I'm still really nervous. Luckily my dr said it was up to me if I came back in 1 or 2 weeks. I opted for 1.

I'm not sure there's much they can do early on, but you can try asking for an u/s earlier. Of course the later you go, the more you see...maybe try for 7 weeks instead of 8?

I know it's hard, but hang in there!

Hopeful,
YAY HEARTBEAT! So happy for you!
So when is your next US? Can't wait to hear how that goes!
Talking to ladies such as yourself is making hanging in there a ton easier!

I asked the doc about coming in earlier, she said she'd like me to wait. She said we are doing everything we can to help this baby stick, the numbers look good, and she would really like us to be able to see a substancial little bean with a strong heartbeat. I am doing my best to trust that everything happens for a reason and whatever will be will be.

I, like you, went in for the first HB scan with my first MC to find nothing :-(, it was tough, as you know. But as long as there is a little baby in there I'm going to try to enjoy it!

SOO nice talking with you! Please keep in touch!

My best ~
Amy
drsamyjohn
Friend

Postby drsamyjohn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 am

jlnelson1980 wrote:I think 86 is a great number! My first number was 39.5! I am now 11w1d. Everything that you are feeling is entirely normal. I have two living children age 11 and 1. We decided we wanted one more....and I got pregnant in Sept only to have a CP.....February we got pregnant again for me to have yet another CP. So I understand your worry. I had my first beta drawn and only one more to follow and then had to wait until 7 weeks for my first u/s cuz my doctor also didn't want to do anymore. My HCG levels doubled and my progesterone was looking great! It was a stress filled few weeks. I bet, however, that if you call your doctor and tell her/him you are looking for reassurance and want another u/s they will do it for you. My doctor always says that it is better not to stress and see the patient because the success rate for women who do not stress is greater than those that do.

Monday, I landed in the ER cuz I started to spot:( I was freaking out as you can imagine. The ER gave me no answers so I ended up going to the doctor on Tuesday to find out I had a small tear in my gestational sac and it is fairly common in women. Baby was still moving around and had a great heart rate, but again the doctor told me to call if I need anything so he can see me to reassure me.

Please just hang in there! You are not alone. The worry does not go away! Not sure that it ever does for those of us who have experienced a mc....but this is a great support site!!!

WOW, 39.5? Did you worry about that? SOOO awesome 11 weeks!!! My goodness, that spotting must've SUCKED. Glad to hear it was nothing to worry about, are you still bleeding? I know I look everytime I go to the bathroom for any blood, and I walk arouind squeezing my boobs to make sure they are still sore :-)

Its so reassuring to know and communicate with you ladies, I pray that everything works out for each of us!

So when is your next US? PLEASE let me know how it goes!

Oooh, you know how people call these babies our 'rainbow babies'? I went outside last night and found a huge bright DOUBLE rainbow! Sending those rays you way :-)

~ Amy
drsamyjohn
Friend

Postby jlnelson1980 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 am

Hi Amy,

Still experiencing a little spotting but the doctor expected that it would last about a week. 12 week mark is approaching on Wednesday....I don't go to the doc again until the 27th of this month....my next u/s won't be until 20 weeks unless something else goes wrong....which I am praying not!

I think once you finally get your BFP..it's really more stressful after the recurrent m/c's
jlnelson1980

Postby hopeful88 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks, Amy!

How are you doing? Sorry you can't go earlier, but it does sound like you've got a good plan to help the bean along the way. Well, 1 week down, 2 more to go. :)

I go back again today. Almost as nervous as last week.

jlnelson,
How exciting, to be so close to the magical 12 week mark! Hope you're feeling better and there are no more scares along te way.

Andrea
Me- 36
DH-31
Baby #1 EDD 1/25/14
It's a Girl!

mc Jan 13, D&C Feb 13

hopeful88
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Pregnant After a Loss