Two Week Wait

A special place to talk about your pregnancy after a loss.
Post a reply

What should I do?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:20 am

Hi ladies, long story short I had a missed miscarriage 4/25/13 at 12 weeks and just got another bfp the other day. I called the doc to see if it could e leftover hcg and she said unlikely and wanted me in for betas and early tracking ultrasounds etc. I have two healthy girls age 4 and 2 and have had only one miscarriage. I'm tempted to say, nope, I'll see ya at 8 weeks. And just let what will be, be. Any advice? I mean, what good ate betas, really? I can see it causing me more stress like last time. Any advice appreciated. :)

Re: What should I do?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:41 am

My doc office doesn't do betas. If you are really concerned maybe that would give you piece of mind, but I didn't miss them.

I've gotten extra us because I'm paranoid and that's been very comforting.

Re: What should I do?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm sure your doctors office has the ability to order a beta blood draw and mine doesn't generally do it either, but since I just had a loss I think that's why they want to. Did you have a lot of ultrasounds? Have you had a loss?
Think ill wait til 7/8 weeks and go from there. What's going to happen is going to happen!

Re: What should I do?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:53 pm

I have had a couple losses over the years. I had a chemical the month before this one stuck. Yes they have the ability to do betas, but both these last two times they made me wait closer to 6/7 weeks for an early us. They don't usually have us come in for betas because they said they wouldn't be able to do anything if it didnt stick. Although he did a blood test to check my thyroid and for lupus after my chemical.

I've had a few us already with this one just because I'm paranoid... They are pretty awesome about it. I have tons of photos.

I really hope this one sticks for you Hun!

Re: What should I do?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:12 pm

I had an early loss in Feb, and found out I was pregnant again at the start of March.

My doctor (just my general practitioner) sent me for a couple of early ultrasounds and I had weekly beta hcgs done from 4-7 weeks.

I found that approach reassuring for me, but I know everyone is different.

Re: What should I do?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Yay, Cookie! Glad to see you over on this side.

You do what you is right for you. For me, there was no way I could have waited until 8 weeks. It was a relief to me that my betas were doubling. (I had 3 done at 4-5 weeks.) The last time, I had a little hiccup so it made me feel a lot better about this pregnancy. Then I had my first us at 6 weeks and we saw a heartbeat...didn't see one the first, so again I felt like I could actually get a little excited about this pg. Had another us at 7wk and go again tomorrow for a 9wk.

Of course, I was extremely nervous after each draw and before each appointment, but for me it was worth it to breathe a little sigh of relief after. You're absolutely right, that there isn't really anything to do if you're going to have an early loss, but for me, I would rather know as soon as possible.

Anyway, hope all goes well!

Re: What should I do?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks ladies. I only today had AF due so I am still so early. Going by lmp I'm 4w5d but i o'd more like cycle day 19 instead
Of 14 so I feel sure I'm around 4 weeks, give or take a day. I'm not feeling overly's almost like its meant to be but then the nerves get to me and I pee on another $1 test. The lines are nice
And dark even in the middle of the day and that is reassuring.
Maybe in two weeks I will go for an early u/s but then I worry they won't se
What they expect for 7 weeks since they date me differently. Know what I mean? The last time, the loss, we saw a
Heartbeat and growth and everything measuring around 3
Days behind and then suddenly stopped
Growing at 8w5 days although I was 12 weeks by then. No reason why. So for me I won't feel better til after 9 weeks anyway regardless because that was
The first time it went wrong. Does that make sense? I just can't decide.

Re: What should I do?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:30 am

If you're not worried, then why not treat this like most people and go in at like 8 weeks?

The dating/ cycle thing gets confusing especially this early. I just came back and the dr was like, oh you're ahead. You should only be 8w 2d but it is measuring 8w 6d. Well, since I have short cycles and O CD12, that makes perfect sense as I was estimating today to be 9w! But as along as you know when you O'd and you're on track with that, then you shouldn't worry!

Anyway, why don't you make an appt for 8/ 8.5 weeks and go from there? If you decide to go for a u/s earlier, I'm sure they will fit you in. Most important to relax and to take care of yourself!

Post a reply
Milkies Milksaver
Milkies Milk Trays
DreamBelly Butter
Nursing Blend