Testing

Welcome! If you're new, come and introduce yourself!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Testing

Postby Lilsgrnspice » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:39 pm

This is my first pregnancy, we conceived through a RE using IUI and Clomid. We did preconception genetic screening and a lot of other blood tests. I am still under 35 and will be only just 30 at delivery. I have no idea what scans, tests, U/s they will do and how often. We were spoiled in the beginning getting ultrasounds and HCG counts so often. My last OB appt nothing was done but paperwork. I go tomorrow at 12.5 weeks, will I have anything done other than Q&A? Does everyone get NT scans, or just at-risk? I just wanna see and hear my Little Bug again!
Second time Mommy
Baby #1 via IUI girl born January 10, 2016 7 lbs 14.5 oz, 19.5 inches long, Lillian Nicole

Baby # 2 conceived the old fashion way, surprise! EDD May 14, 2018
Lilsgrnspice
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Testing

Postby FrostedFuji » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:07 pm

The NT should be available to you (and anyone else) if you want it, though it depends on what other testing you've had done. If you did cell-free DNA testing like the Harmony, Verifi, or MaterniT21, the NT should still be offered but won't be as necessary for you as those tests are more accurate to begin with. I opted to go ahead just in case, largely because I couldn't wait until my anatomy scan at 20 weeks to see her again! If you're interested in an NT, bring it up tomorrow because it does need to be done before 14 weeks.

I don't know what tests you have had, but these are the ones I've had and/or scheduled so far:
7 weeks: Blood draw for HCG, STDs, etc., ultrasound to confirm heartbeat
11 weeks: Blood draw for carrier testing (cystic fibrosis) & Harmony, general physical, uterus & cervix check, pap smear*
13 weeks: NT scan
16 weeks: Blood draw for MSAFP, a serum screen for spina bifida (the same serum screen used for trisomy testing)
20 weeks: Anatomy ultrasound scan to check & measure all baby's bits
24 weeks (ish?): Glucose tolerance test

* I did not actually have a pap smear, my previous results have all been normal and since I had gotten one on schedule one year previously, my midwife concluded that there was little benefit from doing another one and dealing with the resulting spotting for a day or two.

I may end up with more depending on what comes up, but so far this is all that's planned out or has happened already :) My understanding for pregnancies conceived thru RE is that once it takes hold and everything looks good, you'll progress & be cared for like any other pregnancy unless you're also high risk for other reasons.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby Lilsgrnspice » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:07 am

Thank you Fuji, Trisomy test was offered, but the NT was not. I'm like you, I just want to see baby via ultrasound as frequent as possible. Next ultrasound is around 20 weeks which seems like forever. Then the glucose test. What can I expect the monthly visits with OB to be from now on? Pee tests and Q&A? Will Doppler be used at each visit?
Second time Mommy
Baby #1 via IUI girl born January 10, 2016 7 lbs 14.5 oz, 19.5 inches long, Lillian Nicole

Baby # 2 conceived the old fashion way, surprise! EDD May 14, 2018
Lilsgrnspice
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:28 am

That has been my experience. Pee test, weigh in, discussion of concerns or problems, and a Doppler check :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby 90Kat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:15 pm

I received an ultrasound at 7 weeks, then 14, then 20, when my cervix appeared short they gave me 3 additional weekly ultrasounds 21,22,23 to make sure my cervix measured normally. I have also had a 30 week ultrasound (this week) due to fundal height being above average.

That being said, at 14 weeks I was seen every 4 weeks, and at 27 weeks I was seen biweekly. Now that I'm 30 weeks and measuring so far ahead, she wants to see me weekly.

Each visit I have a pee test, weight check, BP check, talk about concers, then have my fundal height measured and then listen to Viktor's heart with the Doppler.

Every OB is different, and every pregnancy is different they will decide what's important for your pregnancy, but always remember that it's your body and if you feel uncomfortable in any way, wether it's how your treated, how they respond, or whatever it may be- voice your concerns and make sure there heard.

Peace of mind means you can have less stress!
And have a very happy and healthy pregnancy!
90Kat
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Newbies