drug free vs. pitocin contractions

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:03 am

With my son I was induced with Pitocin. I didn't feel the contractions until my water was broken, and then they were constant and right on top of each other. I got an epidural at 4cm (though was dilated completely only two hours later). With my daughter, I went into labor on my own. I could feel all of the contractions with my water intact, but there were breaks in between them. I delivered her without an epi.

In my experience, the contractions are bad either way. But the Pitocin was worse because they were constant, as opposed to natural contractions that allowed for some recovery.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby megaminty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:32 pm

I was quizzing a friend of mine who just delivered (April 1) for info on this. She had to be induced with 1st and 2nd babies, but went completely natural with her 3rd. She said what she felt like at 9cm naturally, she felt like at 4cm with Pitocin.

I was induced with my first two babies and am hoping for a natural labor and delivery this time!
megaminty
Star Member
Star Member

Postby countrymomma » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:54 pm

I had pitocin with my DS, and went natural with DD. And I agree, the major difference is not having a break between contractions. My water was broken with both labors so I cant say how that changes things.
FORMERLY BABYRABE
Me (34) & DH (39) Married 11/18/2000

SAHM, Homeschooling mommy to:
DD-8
^Noah True^ 12/12/06 m/c 10.5wks
DS-5
DD-4
DD-2
# FIVE!! Due May 31, 2014
countrymomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Both my labors were fairly quick... with pitocin, my first labor was about 3-4 hours (from when contractions first started picking up) and my second natural labor was about 4-5 hours from when contractions first started picking up.

Contractions sucked with both labors. But like others have said, with pitocin the contractions just keep coming and coming and the closer you get to delivering, the worse it gets. You seriously never get a break. With my natural labor, I maybe got 2 or 3 contractions on top of each other, but then I would get a long break. In fact, right before I started pushing I had a really long break with no contractions (probably close to 15 minutes). It was heaven. It also made me think it would be forever until I delivered her because I expected the contractions to keep getting closer and closer together but they really didn't!

One strange thing... I threw up several times with my drug-free labor, and not at all with my pitocin labor! I have no idea why that would be!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby njnectarine » Mon May 02, 2011 6:32 pm

contractions were definately worsw with pitocin for me- after about 30 minutes I begged for epi
with my second I went meds free and the contractions sort of build up ...I mean they were strong and painful but your body sorts of prepares you for them rather then the sudden pitocin shock
Me-36, DH-40
DS- 3
DS- 1
DS# 3 due 5/19/11

njnectarine
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Tue May 03, 2011 5:38 am

I had both kinds when I was in labor, but then, everyone who went through the room thought that my natural contractions were pitocin-induced. They were transition strength and less than two minutes apart less than an hour after labor started, and never let up. So... you know. Oh well.

They fizzled out when I got my epidural, which is why I needed pitocin. The epidural got turned off, pit got started.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Labor & Delivery