placenta delivery: anyone done it both ways?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Your physiological 3rd stage (compared to a hormonal one):

made you feel less of the 'guts falling out' feeling.
50%
felt about the same afterwards.
50%
felt worse afterwards!
No votes

Total votes : 2

placenta delivery: anyone done it both ways?

Postby ballerinamommy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:09 am

With my first, I had the 'normal' hospital placenta delivery, meaning I had pitocin/syntocin in my system and the placenta was tugged away about 5 minutes after birth by the Ob/Gyn rather than delivered naturally.

This time, I've opted for a 'physiological 3rd stage', meaning I won't receive any hormones (unless I bleed) and delivery will be natural and could take up to an hour.

It's got me wondering, though. Will it make a difference to the 'guts falling out' feeling? I HATED the tugging of the placenta to begin with, even though I had an epi...it felt horrible! I also really didn't like the post-birth feeling, but I don't know if that is made worse by having the hormonal delivery or not. Does anyone know? Has anyone done it both ways and did you notice a difference to how your body felt afterwards?

I'm due tomorrow, but figure I'll be overdue...however any quickish answers would be good. I'm just curious, though...it won't affect my decision! :wink:
Image Image
ballerinamommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ballerinamommy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:49 pm

Wow....nobody?? :?
Image Image
ballerinamommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Momma_Laura » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:08 am

I didn't want to read and run, but I had the injection after I had DD to deliver the placenta. I didn't have an epi and it was such a weird feeling! I remember thinking 8O "I need to push again"!! lol. I had a c-section with my little man so didn't get to experience that again, but funnily enough still had the "guts falling out" feeling!! :rofl: Sorry, sick sick humour of mine :oops:

Good luck with your new LO hun, I am a secret stalker of yours since way back. 8) Can't wait to hear all about it and hopefully see some baby boy spam :)
Laura (me!) - 27
DH - 27 ~ my soulmate :)
DD - 3 ~ my everything :hb: BF'd for 19mnths :)
DS - 14th July 2010 ~ my little ray of sunshine :hb:

Momma_Laura
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:00 pm

I was interested to hear what others said as I've been reading up and not sure which route to go {FTM here}... Guess I'll just have to wait for your experience this go around! :-)
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ballerinamommy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:32 am

Ugh, still no votes?? C'mon....there's gotta be SOMEBODY who has done it both ways on here...

Still nothing happening here, but I'll make my report once the little guy decides he's ready for an appearance! :wink:
Image Image
ballerinamommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Belldandy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:36 am

I really don't know how I did it....it was about 10 minutes after I had DD, the doctor told me to push again, and it came out. It just felt kinda squishy.
Belldandy
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Kiwi » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:24 am

Well I've only had one baby and she was born at home with no drugs, hormones etc. so the delivery of the placenta was natural too. Honestly it didn't feel like too much of anything...no guts-falling-out sensation, mostly just like a big blob of jello coming out. And I tore a fair bit with the baby, so it surprised me how little I felt it. Dunno if that helps you at all, lol.
Kiwi
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ballerinamommy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 am

Is that actually how you felt in the few days after the birth though? That's what I'm curious to know about...I know the actual delivery of the placenta wouldn't feel like much. Just thought it'd be interesting to see if delivering it naturally vs pretty much having it pulled out makes a difference to how you feel in the days following.
Image Image
ballerinamommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:10 pm

I didn't vote b/c I didn't how how to answer.

I loved delivering my placenta. I did have the pit though during the last couple hours of labor.
Delivering the placenta felt wonderful. It was so relieving. I remember feeling very empty afterward.
My m/w tugged a bit I think once it came dislodged. Once it came out it completely disinitegrated.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kiwi » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:53 pm

I felt great right after & the next few days. Pretty sore from the stitches, obviously, but the rest of me bounced back amazingly fast. The midwife was really impressed with how fast my uterus shrank back to normal size.
Kiwi
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mommyslittlemnster » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:03 am

Ive never done it with pitocin but I don't think it felt like my guts were falling out. It just felt like something smooth plopped out. I really have no idea how to describe it!
Me: Stephanie 27 DS: Stephen Jr. 11/28/2008
Dylan Danger 6/19/2010 Charlotte and Chelsea 5/24/2012
mommyslittlemnster
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ballerinamommy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:19 am

Well it seems that still nobody is getting what I meant...I never meant how it feels to deliver the placenta...I wanted to know the after effects but it turns out I didn't get my physiological third stage anyways...I was laboring for quite a while so the mw was afraid I might have a pph do I ended up with pitocin. The mw was much easier with the tugging though so my "guts falling out feeling" wasn't nearly as bad this time.
Image Image
ballerinamommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ballerinamommy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:19 am

Well it seems that still nobody is getting what I meant...I never meant how it feels to deliver the placenta...I wanted to know the after effects but it turns out I didn't get my physiological third stage anyways...I was laboring for quite a while so the mw was afraid I might have a pph do I ended up with pitocin. The mw was much easier with the tugging though so my "guts falling out feeling" wasn't nearly as bad this time.
Image Image
ballerinamommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby afdani1984 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:44 am

Notbarbarabush wrote:I didn't vote b/c I didn't how how to answer.

I loved delivering my placenta. I did have the pit though during the last couple hours of labor.
Delivering the placenta felt wonderful. It was so relieving. I remember feeling very empty afterward.
My m/w tugged a bit I think once it came dislodged. Once it came out it completely disinitegrated.

This! Not so much loved delivering it, but it was like..after it came out I felt this immense sensation of relief. I had a med-free birth, so everything was natural..I have no idea if they tugged on mine or not, but I do remember having my belly mashed. I didn't get the pitocin until after the baby was born and the placenta was delivered, and I felt none of the contractions.
Danielle (25), DH- Thomas (26)
DS- Joseph Miko born 31 May 2010!

1 pug: Lola (2), 1 tuxedo cat: Oreo (3) and two rat kings: Octavious and Artemis.
TTC since July 09

1-11-10 HB 145...IT'S A BOY!

afdani1984
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Labor & Delivery