Epidural vs spinal-update in OP

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Epidural vs spinal-update in OP

Postby cacton » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:36 pm

If i have another section I will get a spinal block instead of an epidural. With the epidural I felt like I couldn't breathe during the section and I FREAKED. I've read with a spinal it's even worse. Did you feel like this with either?

Well, there was no comparison. With the spinal I could breathe, it wore off quicker so I was sitting in a chair later that day, it took effect quicker, no headache...all in all it was a great experience as far as c sections go :)
Last edited by cacton on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Courtenay 35
DH 54
DS born 01/03/10
DD born 09/18/11
Image Image
cacton
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby April1980 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Court :hi:

Congrats woman :) I had a spinal with both sections my first one felt like I couldn't breath, Second one was amazing!! I could feel touch but no pain! Breathed fine! Puked again! But felt awesome overall :D Spinal is quick painless and the only way I'd ever go if I could ever do it again lol (which BTW can't happen ) tubes are tied ;) I've had an epi before with my daughter and spinal is way better ;)
April-30
DH-35
DSD-16
DD-7
DS-9 months
ImageImage
April1980
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby aerb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:25 am

I had a spinal. I have nothing to compare it to, but I had no difficulty breathing, no headaches, nothing. I felt really calm during the c-section actually. I WAS pukey afterwards, all day long and into the night (c-section was at 9 AM) although I attribute that to the morphine that they gave me DESPITE the fact that I explicitly told the anesthesiologist that it makes me sick.
Allison-- 33, DH--33
DD Miriam Aislinn born 9/8/10.
4 angel babies :angel::angel::angel::angel:
BFP 5/1/12
aerb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lami » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:50 pm

I had a spinal, and I did freak out, I really thought I was not going to be able to breathe. They threw oxygen on me and I thought it made it worse, it was so scary! I couldn't feel anything but my lips I swear! I hyperventilated at the end and also got nausea. Now I had the Epi for the last part of my labor and had zero side effects, then they took it out and put the spinal in for the c-section. I am not sure if the epi is different for a c-section, I was under the impression you had to have a spinal for a section?
ITS A BOY
10/18/10

lami
Angel
Angel

Postby LoveVaeh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:52 pm

I have had 3 spinals and I dont remember ever having the feeling of not being able to breathe. I just felt numb. I could feel the pressure, but no pain. I did have nausea, but I had AMAZING anestheseologists there to help me through. Most of the nausea came from my blood pressure dropping low, so they knew when to give me the anti-puke meds. :wink:

Afterwards, I was still felt some nausea, but nothing huge where I actually thought I would throw up. Also, the ITCHINESS sucks!! I got so itchy after it, but they have meds for that too and it was almost gone within 20 minutes of the first dose, and completely gone after the second.

GL Mama!! and CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Randi and Greg - Formula feeding, Retired Breastfeeding, Baby-wearing, Co-Sleeping/Bed-sharing Military Mommy and Daddy! - Yes, I can do it too!

:hb: 5 month breastfeeding milestone :hb:
Unfortunately, Had to quit at 5m3wk.. :(

Nevaeh - 7/7/04, 35wk, 5lbs 7oz
Ryenn - 10/24/08, 39w1d, 7lbs 7oz
Jordynn - 10/11/10, 40w1d, 7lbs 11oz
LoveVaeh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 121903 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:06 am

My hospital doesn't have epidurals at all.So I had to have a spinal for both c-sections.With both spinals I never had the feeling that I couldn't breathe.I felt like I was going to throw up almost immediately after they did my 2nd spinal,but the feeling didn't last long at all.It made me numb all the way up to my neck during the first one which I hated.

I have had one major issue though since having my first spinal.
A short while after leaving the hospital after my first c/s,different parts of my back started to go numb.At first it was my lower back.I would get a tingly numb feeling that would come and go.It eventually moved up higher.I know that this was a result of the spinal.I told my OB about it and he's never heard of this happening before.When speaking with the anestesiologist right before my 2nd c/s,I told him about the numbness that I still had and he had no explanation for why that would happen.
I still have the tingling/numbness in my back occasionally 6 1/2 years later.
Oh and I never had a spinal headache that some people get.My 2nd spinal overall was a lot better of an experience than my first.
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby DestinyStarr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 pm

I didn't have any problems tolerating the anesthesia administered in my epidural. However, we DID experience a problem getting the darn thing in my back.

The first (yes, I said first) Doctor that attempted had a horrible bedside manner, and had attempted at what felt like to me at least 2 or 3 times to get the thing in my back, much to my dismay. He kept blaming me for not rounding my back, etc etc... I'm snotting and crying and snotting (LOL) all over my Ob/Gyn and the OR Nurse who were holding my hands and thinking to myself --- WTF is supposed to happen NOW?

Another anesthesiologist came in to assist (ended up taking over) and POP! he got it in the first try. He gave me something beforehand to calm me down as I was rather upset and in pain at this point, and it seems the epidural went in with ease (he said I had a slight curvature in my spine).

Needless to say, I am a little freaked out about the need to go thru this a 2nd time in December. Maybe I can request the better doctor from jump. LOL But I did enjoy the fact that I could just push that lil button to administer my own pain meds during recovery instead of waiting on a nurse. Just my "pro" to getting the epidural over a spinal.

What are the pros to the spinal, from your opinions?
:angel: MMC 8w3d: May 2011
DestinyStarr
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Skeely » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 pm

I had an epidural (because I intended a vaginal delivery) and then when I went into the c-section they did a spinal through the epidural catheter. I had heard of this happening with the spinal (about feeling like you can't breathe) and the whole idea freaked me out so much. So I asked the anesthesiologist who gave me the spinal and he said it could happen, but he didn't think it would because I was tall. The funny thing is I am only 5'4" but I didn't correct him because he was about 5'3" :lol: Anyway I did not have that problem.
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Postby ashrash » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:40 am

No issues with my spinal! Just numb from waist down... no breathing issues at all! Also, no "tingles" in my legs when the drug was wearing off like I got with the epi.
Ashley-28, DH-33
DD1-Dylan Grace born 12.15.2008
DD2-Ryan Elizabeth born 10.14.2010
DD3-Payton Faith born 10.14.2010

ImageImage
ashrash
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cacton » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks everyone! To those who asked, a spinal block is different than an epidural. Spinal block is a shot, no catheter and wears off faster. It is supposed to numb you from below the breasts down.

I'll just crossly fingers and hope it doesn't happen, but prepare myself mentally if it does!
Courtenay 35
DH 54
DS born 01/03/10
DD born 09/18/11
Image Image
cacton
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Momma_Laura » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:00 am

Hi momma!!! :hb: 14 weeks already, wowsers!!!

I have had 2 spinals, one with each of my children. Not sure if you remember but after DD (who was born vaginally) I had very bad tearing that required a long stint in theatre right after she was born to repair. That is where I had my first spinal by choice rather than be put under. It was great. Felt great, it wore off fast and didn't have any issues at all.

My second was during my planned c-section with DS last July. It too was wonderful! If you remember I am a nurse and we deal with spinals all the time at work after surgeries. Epidurals IMO have a much higher chance of side effects with them than spinals, plus not having the cathetar has to be a huge plus! Anyway, my spinal was starting to wear off in recovery and I was up walking around my room at 7pm that night after having Ollie at 11am. It was fabulous! I did have some post-op itching from the morphine but that wore off after a few hours without too much hassle. I am really glad I didn't have to worry about getting an epidural to be honest, at work all we ever see is failed ones, too many attempts to put them in and complications later on. Of course this is all relevant to who is doing them and how much experience they have had. But for me, I would choose the spinal every time :D

Must remember to stalk you more often so you don't sneak another 14 weeks in on me ;) Hope your doing well momma :hb:
Laura (me!) - 27
DH - 27 ~ my soulmate :)
DD - 3 ~ my everything :hb: BF'd for 19mnths :)
DS - 14th July 2010 ~ my little ray of sunshine :hb:

Momma_Laura
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

!

Postby Belldandy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:23 am

DestinyStarr wrote:I didn't have any problems tolerating the anesthesia administered in my epidural. However, we DID experience a problem getting the darn thing in my back.

The first (yes, I said first) Doctor that attempted had a horrible bedside manner, and had attempted at what felt like to me at least 2 or 3 times to get the thing in my back, much to my dismay. He kept blaming me for not rounding my back, etc etc... I'm snotting and crying and snotting (LOL) all over my Ob/Gyn and the OR Nurse who were holding my hands and thinking to myself --- WTF is supposed to happen NOW?

Another anesthesiologist came in to assist (ended up taking over) and POP! he got it in the first try. He gave me something beforehand to calm me down as I was rather upset and in pain at this point, and it seems the epidural went in with ease (he said I had a slight curvature in my spine).

What are the pros to the spinal, from your opinions?

This happened to me too.....they stuck me 7 times!!
Belldandy
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: !

Postby DestinyStarr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 am

Belldandy wrote:This happened to me too.....they stuck me 7 times!!

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo -- damn doctors!!! I'm really hoping that I can see the GOOD doc on the first try this time. Or, I'm going to have to tell them to give me something in my IV first, again :lol: I was feeling so good I didn't care what they were sticking in my back after that lmaooooo
:angel: MMC 8w3d: May 2011
DestinyStarr
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby jade2009 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:30 am

I was just numb for waist down as well.. :D
Heather 37
hubby 39
DD 18
Twins 16
Ds 13
BFP on 3-13-2010@ 8 dpo
Kyler will be here on 4-04-13 at noon CT

BFP on September 1st 2012 @ 12 DPO

Ashlynn born on November 16, 2010
Ashynn was 2 days old here... was so in love with my little girl

Ashlynn 2 taken in November right before her Birthday
jade2009
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tracylee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:20 pm

I had an epi in becuase we tried a vaginal birth until it was painfully obvious that my son was tooooo big to come out that way. When they rushed me in for my C-section and loaded me up on pain meds through the epi, I too couldn't breath. I felt numb up to my throat. It was the worst thing EVER and totally ruined my entire birthing expierence. I had to completely close my eyes and just focus on my breathing or lack thereof since I could hear ALL the staff telling me I was breathing fine. I just concentrated on breathing in and out and totally missed everything. After he was born I swear I must have just passed out from lack of oxygen becuase I don't remember anything until someone woke me up 4 hours later so I could see my son before he was taken to the NICU. Worst thing ever-
ImageImageImage
Tracylee
Angel
Angel

Next

Return to Labor & Delivery