Food?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Food?

Postby fodla » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:22 pm

For those of you who were allowed to eat during delivery, what did you eat? I'm not sure what kinds of food I should plan on bringing, or if I'll need to send my husband or mom on food runs.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby allisonwi » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:41 am

I had a few ice chips and sipped on some raspberry lemonade... eating was the last thing on my mind!!!
Me (Allison) - 30, DH- 31
DD1: 3/18/08
DD2: 8/25/11
DS1: 4/10/13

allisonwi
Angel
Angel

Postby Linds0412 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:26 am

I never had the option to eat (other than ice cubes or popsicles). They told it was because I had to have an empty stomach jic I needed and emergency c-section. This wasn't just for me .. everyone I know was told the same thing. At least here in Canada(Ontario) anyway. But either way .. I was in no mood to eat anything other than ice and popsicles. Even water made me throw up.
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Linds0412
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:39 am

They told me not to eat, but I was STARVING so I had a protein bar when the nurses weren't in the room :P

I was induced at 1am and when I woke up in the middle of the night for it I wasn't hungry at all (the nurses were surprised that I didn't eat on the way to the hospital LOL) but after I was awake for a few hours I was really hungry (and I knew I would be) so I ate a protein bar I had put in my bag because I knew it would take care of the hunger, stick with me for a while, and digest soon enough that if I did end up needing a c-sect. it wouldn't be in my stomach anymore.

However, despite being starving, I wasn't even able to finish the bar and I didn't even think about food after that. After the baby was born, however, I was starving again (with the shakes from low blood sugar). I made DH go to a restaurant nearby to get me a hamburger before they closed and we just kept it in the mini-fridge in our room until I was able to eat because I knew the hospital cafeteria would be closed by the time DD was born.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:09 pm

I was told (also in Ontario) that I can eat as long as I don't have an epidural, which I'm not having. Maybe it's a midwife/ob difference?

I might not eat either, but I want to have something on hand in case I want to. Protein bars sound like a good idea.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Linds0412 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Hmm not sure .. it was the nurses at the hospital who told me I couldn't eat. Maybe it depends on the hospital? I had an epi but they told me that well before I even went into labour during our prenatal classes at the hospital.
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Linds0412
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, nurses work with the OBs, so I don't think I'll be seeing them. My midwives told me that I can eat. Could be a hospital policy thing, though.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:49 pm

I didn't eat once contractions started. My water broke several hours before contractions started though, so I ate a granola bar at one point and then a ham sandwich for dinner. I had zero desire to eat once contractions picked up though. It didn't help that I threw up a few times. My doula was convinced I should drink some gatorade (because of the throwing up) so I had a few sips, but then later I threw up the gatorade and that was disgusting! :roll:
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue May 03, 2011 12:45 pm

I had my baby in Oklahoma, with a midwife in a hospital. They had no trouble with me eating and drinking. I had a med free natural birth and I ate snacks a lot of the time in early and mid-labor. I have sensitive blood sugar and run out of energy quickly if I don't keep food on my stomach. I was actually eating apples and crackers and cheese between contractions (I would have been about 6 cm at that point). As soon as I felt one coming I'd swallow quick and stand up because it was horrible taking the contractions while sitting down!

Put it in your birth plan, that if you're planning on having a natural birth, you'd like the freedom to eat and drink. It really helped me.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Chiteacher » Tue May 03, 2011 12:50 pm

I was sent home in active labor :roll: and told to get lunch. I had some tacos and let me tell you that was a bad call. Turns out I am the kind of person who throws up once labor gets really intense.

My advice is to eat light!
Me (Jane) & DH married 5/29/05 DS 5/6/10 (6lbs 7oz) DS#2 10/7/11 (10lbs 7oz)
Chiteacher
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Tue May 03, 2011 1:14 pm

BeccaM wrote:I had my baby in Oklahoma, with a midwife in a hospital. They had no trouble with me eating and drinking. I had a med free natural birth and I ate snacks a lot of the time in early and mid-labor. I have sensitive blood sugar and run out of energy quickly if I don't keep food on my stomach. I was actually eating apples and crackers and cheese between contractions (I would have been about 6 cm at that point). As soon as I felt one coming I'd swallow quick and stand up because it was horrible taking the contractions while sitting down!

Put it in your birth plan, that if you're planning on having a natural birth, you'd like the freedom to eat and drink. It really helped me.

Yeah, I read your birth story - I want a birth like yours! :) I do have it in my birth plan and have cleared it with my midwives, I'm just not sure what to pack. Cheese sounds like a good plan (looooove cheeeeeeeese) because it's easy to eat.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Thu May 05, 2011 7:16 pm

I had lots of snacks packed, but all I ended up eating was applesauce. My back labor was too intense to be able to chew anything.
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Zephyr » Thu May 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Gatorade and protein bars if I remember correctly. We snuck food into the hospital. Going through labor while being starved sounded like one more way to add pain to the experience.
Baby J is here!
Zephyr
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon May 09, 2011 10:56 am

fodla wrote:
BeccaM wrote:I had my baby in Oklahoma, with a midwife in a hospital. They had no trouble with me eating and drinking. I had a med free natural birth and I ate snacks a lot of the time in early and mid-labor. I have sensitive blood sugar and run out of energy quickly if I don't keep food on my stomach. I was actually eating apples and crackers and cheese between contractions (I would have been about 6 cm at that point). As soon as I felt one coming I'd swallow quick and stand up because it was horrible taking the contractions while sitting down!

Yeah, I read your birth story - I want a birth like yours! :) I do have it in my birth plan and have cleared it with my midwives, I'm just not sure what to pack. Cheese sounds like a good plan (looooove cheeeeeeeese) because it's easy to eat.

I guess you wouldn't want to eat too heavy (like PP said) because you might be the one to throw up during transition! I didn't. I felt slightly queasy a couple of times, but not too bed. Mostly I had the shakes and a lot of intense ctx. I also sipped apple and cranberry juice during the pushing, which helped my blood sugar.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Mon May 09, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks again for all the tips!

I'm a big fan of Gatorade when I'm nauseous. I will definitely have that on hand.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Labor & Delivery