Food?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby meg1492 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 pm

The science behind the don't eat in case you need surgery is a flawed study and is not longer relevant to today's medical procedures.

Would you run a marathon on an empty stomach?

eat what you feel like eating when you feel like eating. A lot of times the reason women run out of energy is because they haven't eaten anything for 12-24 hours.

The gatorade is an excellent choice. granola bars are also a good option. but really, whatever you feel like eating, go ahead and eat it. If the nurses tell you not to, ignore them. If your body is telling you to eat, your body is telling you that it needs something on order to continue to labor and deliver your child.

Congrats!
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 pm

No no, I'm definitely allowed to eat. I just wasn't sure what kinds of food to pack. I thought I'd get some advice from moms on what they wanted when they were labouring.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ashleyp » Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 pm

yeah, if i can remember correctly i had zero interest in eating during labor. i was just super thirsty. but if i were to eat during labor this time, i'd probably do grapes/crackers/carrot sticks... small snacky stuff that wouldn't be horrible coming back up =P

ashleyp
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Thu May 12, 2011 6:20 pm

ashleyp wrote:yeah, if i can remember correctly i had zero interest in eating during labor. i was just super thirsty. but if i were to eat during labor this time, i'd probably do grapes/crackers/carrot sticks... small snacky stuff that wouldn't be horrible coming back up =P

I was in early labor when I first went to the hospital and was told to go eat as if it is false labor ctx would stop. I ate like a PIG! Ctx increased but thankfully no throwing up happened nor was I hungry at all. Thirsty, yes. I brought several liters of SmartWater which the nurses said was a great idea as I didn't know what I would like/want during labor and it's tasteless so even if it came back up no biggie. No IV for fluids since I was drinking the SmartWater. Even during pushing, the nurse would encourage me to drink between pushes which was great!

Maybe a smoothie with added protein? I did have one of those on the way to the hospital w hen I was in active labor.
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lilbwitty02 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:38 am

We're bringing Gatorade, granola bars, and protein bars. Delivering with a MW in a birth center, and they actually encourage normal snacking/drinking for energy/hydration, rather than relying on IV's.
lilbwitty02
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Labor & Delivery