external version

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

external version

Postby ashleyp » Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm

any experience with one? my little one is (or was, by now hopefully!) breech at my last appointment. my m/w said not to worry as it's still early, but if she ends up not turning toward the end, she would try turning her manually externally before signing me up for a section.

i've done some research/youtubing on the subject and it seems pretty straight forward - but still scary as it also has it's risks. just looking for some moms who've BTDT :)

ashleyp
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby megaminty » Tue May 10, 2011 12:13 pm

I have not personally had this done, but a friend of mine did with her 1st child. She said that it was painful, though not unbearable and her tummy was really sore afterward. They were able to turn her LO, but had to induce labor right after that (I think it caused some fetal distress). he was born healthy and well! Sorry I don't know more of the details. I know she was very glad to do that instead of have a C-section, and would have chosen to try it again had her 2nd or 3rd been breech.
megaminty
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ivycrystals » Tue May 10, 2011 2:21 pm

I had an unsuccessful one with my first pregnancy. I knew Leah was breech at 33w but I wasn't concerned about it. At 36w she was still breech and my OB was ready to immediately schedule a section. But offered the version. I did the version at 37w3d. It was very uncomfortable, almost to the point of painful. They tried twice while I was there. It didn't cause any fetal distress or anything like that, but there is definitely a risk of that and placental abruption.

I would highly recommend trying the Webster technique at a chiropractor's office before the version. It is a much gentler way of encouraging space in the uterus above the pelvic bone to get the baby to turn head down. There is also an acupuncture treatment call moxibustion that can help. The docs who did the version recommended it.

And doing things like pelvic rocks on your hands and knees will do the same thing. www.spinningbabies.com is a great resource for turning a breech baby.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Tue May 10, 2011 4:31 pm

ivycrystals wrote:I would highly recommend trying the Webster technique at a chiropractor's office before the version. It is a much gentler way of encouraging space in the uterus above the pelvic bone to get the baby to turn head down. There is also an acupuncture treatment call moxibustion that can help. The docs who did the version recommended it.

And doing things like pelvic rocks on your hands and knees will do the same thing. www.spinningbabies.com is a great resource for turning a breech baby.

I would also suggest going to a chiropractor for the Webster technique. I did that when my DD was breech at 35 weeks and she turned within a week. It was very easy and didn't hurt AT ALL. I also did the pelvic rocks, etc. Since she turned with just the Webster technique I never tried the acupuncture but my doc did suggest it before she tried an external version since those are harder on the LO's.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dizzymariposa2 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:15 pm

I know you're baby is born... but in case anyone stumbles across this looking for help

I had an external version with DD2. It was unsuccessful. She suddenly flipped at 38 or 39 weeks and settled down- I had a midwife and two doctors and a student on top of me. They tried twice to no avail. I was already in labor so I had to have a c/s :(

I would've tried moxibuxtion or chiropractic stuff but I didn't really have the option (I could've said no) and was just done. Things WILL go different this time around! :)
Me (24) DP (25)
Gay mama to DD1 '07 DD2 '09 and DD3 '12
TTC (DP!) 2 '15
dizzymariposa2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: external version

Postby Canjer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:59 am

I know this is an old post but I had one in October 2011 with DD (first child) and it was unsuccessful. She was breech the entire pregnancy, didn't take to the external version and was breech right up to and throughout my c-section.
Mama to 2 and cheering on my "MM mommies"
Canjer
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Labor & Delivery