C-Section questions

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby wifeymaeg » Sun May 29, 2011 5:11 am

Having a c-section does not mean that you will not be able to BF. I was induced at 37w3d for pre-e, labored for 25 hours, had a c-section, and didn't attempt BF for about 4-5 hours after DS was born. My milk came in on one side the next day, and the day after that on the other side. I BF for 6 months.

However, his reasoning is very... eh, lame, lol. The truth is that they can not tell how big a baby is by measuring you or viewing an ultrasound. They estimated DS at 7.5 lbs 2 days before my induction, but he was only 6lbs 12oz at birth, over 3 days later.

Having a c-section isn't necessarily bad, but I do think that they should be avoided if possible.

I think having the doula with you is a great idea. GL and ELV!
User avatar
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Starbound7 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:55 pm

Update: I am now 40 + 3 and had an appt today. Baby still hasn't dropped and my cervix is completely closed. The OB had such a negative vibe, really suggesting that he doesn't think the baby will drop or I will dilate. He wanted me to be induced either Friday or Monday. I asked him if there were any tests that could be done to show whether or not the baby is doing okay so that I could hold off being induced until 42 weeks. At first he said "no" but luckily I have done my research and I replied "what about a biophysical profile?" He said he could order one and that if it came back with A+s across the board he would let me wait until 42 weeks to be induced.

Maybe there is too much information out there (as he told me) but I have read several articles on the internet stating that it is not good to be induced if the cervix has not ripened and especially if the baby has not dropped. If that is the case, why would he suggest an induction at 41 weeks and not 42?

Bottom line is that I did get the biophysical profile ordered; will have it done tomorrow so hopefully that will give me piece-of-mind. If an issue shows up, I will have no problem with being induced. I guess I just want to have a little more control as I am having some trust issues with this guy.


NT/NP for 1 yr

BFP on 6/9/10

m/c 6/20/10
BFP 9/15/10
User avatar
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:00 am

Postby fodla » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

There IS a statistic that shows that babies have a SLIGHTLY higher risk of being delivered at 42 weeks rather than 41 weeks. I don't have the book on me to check the exact reference, but it was in What to Expect.

That said, I'd be waiting if possible. Your OB kind of scares me. I'm glad you hired a doula.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:00 am

Postby ahenderson05 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:18 am

I am so glad you are standing up for yourself and taking charge of your pregnancy. Honestly, your OB worries me. It sounds like he is treating you like a child, with a "Do as I say" mentality.

And yes you are absolutely right about a closed cervix, inductions and c/s. If your body isn't ready to deliver it's just not ready. First babies usually come late, our first came at exactly 42 weeks, she pushed it right to her induction day before she decided it was go time :rofl:
Amanda (33) DH (34) H(13) M(9) K(5) C (2) G (1)

User avatar
Posts: 4829
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY

Postby monkeysauce » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:48 am

Hee hee... I went into labor naturally about five minutes after scheduling an induction.

Your doctor is worried about placental deterioration, cord deterioration, cord accidents, meconium, and the baby's size. They're all legitimate things to worry about. But the biophysical profile will tell you a lot about whether those are things to be worried about yet.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
User avatar
Posts: 972
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:00 am

Postby specialkel » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:15 am

It really bothers me that your doc said there was no test to see how the baby is doing. :x And to say there is "too much information out there"???!! UGH!! :mad:

I don't know about biophysical profiles specifically, but tests of fetal well-being in general have a false positive rate of at least 30%. (Source: "A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer). It is suggested that you have these tests done twice before agreeing to an induction, but it doesn't sound like your OB would be receptive to that at all. I hope the profile shows that baby is fine, but in the meantime, I would get to work trying to induce labor naturally...sex, nipple stimulation, spicy food, lots and lots of walking, that sort of thing. Good luck to you and be sure to let us know how everything goes.
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
User avatar
Posts: 824
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:00 am

Postby TXlonghorn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:56 pm

I didn't read this whole thread, but I think if you have a strong opinion about what type of birth you would like then you should talk to your doctor about what is safe and reasonable.

That being said, DS1 was a vaginal birth and I had so many issues in recovering with my bladder and my uterus. I had a bad tear and I was in so much pain for what seemed like forever. I was miserable for 3 solid months after my vaginal birth. I would lift a 1lb duffle bag and wet my pants. I would sneeze and wet my pants so badly I needed to go home. Sorry if TMI, but this is the L&D thread..get over it. :)

DS2 was an emergency c-section (placental abrutption and he is 100% okay--thank God!). I would have never chosen a c-section before I had one, and never want to re-live the circumstances leading up to his delivery, BUT my recovery from the C was shockingly WAY easier than my recovery from my vaginal birth. I had a c-section on a Friday and went home on a Saturday walking out of the hospital on only Motrin. I was back at work (work from home largely desk job) the following week.

We are not really planning on having more, but after having had both a waterside and a c-section baby...if I had the choice again then I would absolutely choose a c-section in a heartbeat.
Kristen (me) ~ 28 | DH ~ 31
BFP 2/21/08 on 7th cycle of Clomid
Michael "Mr. M" was born 10/28/08! :babyb:
Surprise BFP on 4/4/09! Bradley "Boo Radley"
was born 11/20/09
Posts: 1120
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Southern California


Return to Labor & Delivery