does pitocin mean epi?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby SILKROSE1982 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:46 am

I labored from hours 20-42 on the pitocin. They just kept increasing and increasing until it was maxed out. The cx were one right on top of the other. I have an extremely high pain tolerance. But it was to the point that I had No break in between. I was exhausted.

I went ahead and broke down and got Stadol. Yeah, pointless. Then at hour 37 I got the Epi. I didn't even feel it. I even had three cx while he was putting it in. I didn't give a fllying you know what I was in so much pain.

I will never get one again though....because that pain releif lasted all of about five minutes. My right side NEVER went numb, and my left side started to tingle after 20 minutes and became un-numb also.

So, I got the joy of feeling my entire delivery. Which, didn't hurt NEARLY as bad as those cx. So, now, I know if I can make it TO delivery, I CAN do it.
Me: 29, DH: 27
DD: Kaitlyn (2/14/11) Our little Valentine :)
Walking at 9 months!!! Started at 8 months...
SILKROSE1982
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cinder4320 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Pitocin doesn't have to mean epi if you're body was already in labor or respond great too it. One big thing is that a lot of time inductions are unnatural and your body just isn't ready and doesn't respond great. This means a super long labor even on the drugs and eventually you succumb to exhaustion and pain and take the epi.

My last labor started when my waters ruptured (12hrs after an OB appt) and no contractions came. They started pitocin after 18hrs and the pitocin while giving me strong contractions just didn't dilate me. At 30hrs I gave in and got a walking epi. No catheter required though.
affordable, trendy cloth diapers http://www.firstcoastfluff.com
Like us on FB http://www.facebook.com/FirstCoastFluff for specials and deals!

Due Nov. 4th 2009...Arrived Oct. 25 2009
Due Aug 31 2012...Arrived August 16 2012

m/c January 2011 @~6wks
m/c July 2011 @~8wks

ImageImage
Cinder4320
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Mon May 21, 2012 10:09 pm

My sister labored with pitocin and didn't get an epi. She had a 5lb 6oz baby.

My experience was very different. I was induced just two days shy of 42 weeks. I tried my very best to labor without an epi while on pitocin but my contractions were back to back with NO breaks at all. I had a raging headache, was throwing up, and basically couldn't breathe at all. The Dr said that my body was going into shock and I'd soon pass out. They said if I didn't get the epi, then once I passed out they were going to do an emergency c-sect so I got the epi. I felt a million times better after I finally got it but wasn't prepared for how much pain I'd still be in during pushing. I pushed for 2.5 hours and again narrowly avoided an emergency c-sect (OR was ready and they gave me two more chances before they wheeled me in there) because of baby's heart decels. They said she was much bigger than they expected, the cord was around her neck twice and she was stuck. She was 8lbs 12 oz.

Keep in mind I had other complications also, like GD and pre E. Everyone's experience is different. Just go in there with a flexible mindset and do what you have to do with the options you are given. I was bound and determined to do it natural, poticin or not, and my body had other plans. In the end its what was best for me and my daughter.

Good luck!
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jessica-J » Mon May 28, 2012 7:32 pm

I was induced due to GD and hypertension issues at 39+1wks. I went all day on the pit without an epi. It wasn't much different from my pit-free delivery I had with DD1.

Though my doc suspected a large baby (we hadn't checked growth since 35.5wks) she didn't flat out say she thought the baby was huge. My first was a GD baby and was only 6lbs 13oz so I figured there was no way I had a large baby in there lol.

After her never coming down during labor and showing heart rate fluctuations while pushing we did a c-section and she ended up being 9lbs 6oz. She had grown too big to come down lol.

I agree with a pp to have a flexible mindset. Anything can change in labor! GL!
Me: 26 DH: 31
DD1: 10/21/05 6lbs 13oz
DD2: 8/3/11 9lbs 6oz
DD3: 8/20/12 9lbs 15oz
Jessica-J
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby armanda8 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:35 am

I had 2 inductions (pitocin) without an epi...gl.
armanda8
Star Member
Star Member

Previous

Return to Labor & Delivery