Starting to get really nervous about repeat c-section

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Starting to get really nervous about repeat c-section

Postby HappyGoLucky » Fri May 20, 2011 11:37 am

With DS (almost 15 years ago) I was in labor 22 hours before he went into distress and they did the c-section. This go around I've elected to just have a repeat c-section due to my first experience with child birth and also other health issues I have now (VBAC would be very risky to try).

Is it normal to be freaked out scared about it?

Don't you think a scheduled c-section would have to be better then an almost emergency one?

I can't remember because of how long ago it was, and I remember showering about 8-10 hours after the surgery but aren't you up walking around just a couple days later?

Do any of you veterans have any advice you can offer?
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Fri May 20, 2011 5:34 pm

I can't talk about an emergency c-s. But I had a planned c-s with my daughter. She was breech. Anyway, it was planned for 39 weeks. I spent the 2 days before cleaning and organzing my home, mani/pedi, napped, relaxed. I packed my bag. DH and I went to dinner and a movie. I drank a ton of water before I went to bed. Set my alarm and got up the next morning to go to the hospital. I got checked in, started the IV, turned on my ipod. Watched tv and waited for anesthesia to come in. It was peaceful and calm. I was breastfeeding and holding my daughter less than 30 min after she was born.

I had an easy recovery, no strange effects to the anesthesia. It was really a great birth.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby zohbeeeee » Sun May 22, 2011 12:03 am

I had a scheduled c-section almost three years ago. The atmosphere is very relaxed. No issues at all after the surgery. I held my son as they stitched me up. I was up and walking the next day. Off pain meds on the second day. No real problems with pain. All in all a good experience. This time I am shooting for a VBAC but if I end up with a RCS I will be fine with it.
zohbeeeee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HappyGoLucky » Mon May 23, 2011 11:47 am

Thank you for sharing ladies!
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Stars0245 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:41 pm

I have had 2 csections and both went really well. Recovery with the 1st was tougher than the 2nd. But I think that is because with my 1st I went through 3+ hrs of pushing before the csection was decided.

I think it's normal to be a bit nervous leading up to it, but I am sure things will go great!
Me: 31 Dh: 32

Stars0245
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NYsBelle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:03 am

I had a scheduled c-section w/ DD bc she was breech. The c/s itself was wonderful. Everyone was very calm and the procedure took maybe 45 minutes? I got to hold DD from the operating room to the recovery room and we were nursing within the first hour.

For me though, the c/s recovery was a nightmare. Probably bc I am a bigger gal and wasn't in the greatest shape. I was not prepared for how much my legs were going to swell and stay swollen for 2 weeks following the c/s, despite the amount of water and fluids I consumed. I didn't know it was possible for my skin to stretch so tight.

The pain was horrible; I needed those pain meds for as long as I could have them. All of my maternity pants rubbed my c/s stitches and irritated the incision. I popped stitches. My abdomen was so sore for a good 1.5 months and then it was numb and alien-feeling until 3 or 4 months pp.

Hopefully what happened to me won't happen to you. I think I just had a bad recovery. But it is definitely making me want to try for a VBAC this time around.
Me (Kiersten)- 32; DH (Ross)- 38
Audrey Therese :babyg: 11/06/09 :babyg: 7lbs14.5oz :babyg: breech, c-section at 39w1d
Justin Anthony :babyb: 10/18/11 :babyb: 9lb2oz :babyb: Natural VBAC at 40w2d
Evelyn Marirose :babyg: 5/16/13 :babyg: 6lb 9oz :babyg: Natural VBAC at 40w1d
NYsBelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby VAmommy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:39 pm

My first c/s was after 16 hrs of labor so it was considered an emergency and yes the recovery was very hard like your first experience. My second turned into a scheduled c/s and it was such a calm experience. Recovery was soooo much better b/c my body hadn't been in labor, I was well rested and the c/s was in the morning. I was up walking that night. It is completly normal to be scared but in my experience the scheduled c/s was 100% easier than the emergency. Hopefully you will have the same great experience :D
Me-30
Dh-32

VAmommy
Star Member
Star Member

Postby HappyGoLucky » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:44 pm

VAmommy wrote:My first c/s was after 16 hrs of labor so it was considered an emergency and yes the recovery was very hard like your first experience. My second turned into a scheduled c/s and it was such a calm experience. Recovery was soooo much better b/c my body hadn't been in labor, I was well rested and the c/s was in the morning. I was up walking that night. It is completly normal to be scared but in my experience the scheduled c/s was 100% easier than the emergency. Hopefully you will have the same great experience :D

Thank you, I hope you're right.. everyone's experience has been somewhat alike, 1st time after labor not so great, 2nd time with no labor much better.

With DS I was in labor 22 hrs before his heartbeat dropped and they had to get him out, I never even considered that might make things harder on me :)

I'm feeling pretty ready, tho, and this time I have a great DH to help me (I've been remarried, my ex-DH wasn't much help)
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby molly » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:36 am

Congrats! :D I have had 3 c-secs so I thought I'd share what I know/think. HTH!
Is it normal to be freaked out scared about it? Of course! My first was an emergency, 2nd was scheduled & 3rd I went into labour for a few hrs before they did c-sec. Even the 3rd time, when they were about to put the spinal block in I remember thinking "oh what the heck have I done, I don't want to do this!!" But then all the worries vanished as soon as I saw my LO's.

Don't you think a scheduled c-section would have to be better then an almost emergency one? Yes, definitely. If your body goes into labour and fully dilates, my OB told me it is the 'worst' way to do it and is far rougher on your body & more chances of things going wrong. That's why when I went into labour at 38wks with DD, when the contractions wouldn't stop my Dr went ahead and did the c-sec without letting me get too far.

I can't remember because of how long ago it was, and I remember showering about 8-10 hours after the surgery but aren't you up walking around just a couple days later? With DD I had her at 11pm and was showering & walking around, back in my jeans by 8am. :) It hurt, but the sooner you can get moving, the quicker recovery time

Do any of you veterans have any advice you can offer? Good luck! Breathe and know that it really does go by quickly!
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HappyGoLucky » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:45 am

Thank you for sharing!
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jade2009 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:29 am

my last csection was awful as well. I ended up with an infection in my incision area and the staples were horrid.. it was just a mess couldnt enjoy my baby girl for at least 2 weeks afterwords.. prolly my worst csection but I was up and moving pretty good with this csection. this was my 4th section. :D
Heather 37
hubby 39
DD 18
Twins 16
Ds 13
BFP on 3-13-2010@ 8 dpo
Kyler will be here on 4-04-13 at noon CT

BFP on September 1st 2012 @ 12 DPO

Ashlynn born on November 16, 2010
Ashynn was 2 days old here... was so in love with my little girl

Ashlynn 2 taken in November right before her Birthday
jade2009
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brookexallison » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 pm

I can only speak of my one c-section that I had in Oct 2010.

I had an awful experience but I blame it on the fact that I went thru hours and hours of labor, fully dialated, pushed for 3.5 hours and then they did an emergency c-section because she was sunny side up. I had staples too, so I think that contributed as well! I could barely walk for 3 days...when I finally could walk better I still had to take frequent breaks. I had a very hard time getting up from laying down for about 2 weeks.

I am assuming a scheduled c-section with stitches is MUCH better...lol
Brooke - 26, Gregg - 29

Addison Mae aka Monkey
10-15-10
7lb9oz
21in.

#2 due 2/15/14

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
brookexallison
Angel
Angel

Postby cordy79 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:31 am

Mine was scheduled for 39 weeks 1 day as littleone was breech and apparently very large. My blood pressure had also gotten well out of control.

38 weeks 3 days my waters broke and I was rushed to theatre at 5cm dilated in just 40 minutes. The op had me petrified, turned out littleone was only 6lbs not 9lbs as we were told :roll:

I had a horrendous recovery, or lack of rather and a whole ton of useless midwifes ending with me being hospitalised several times after turning pretty much septic. I was refused antibiotics and told i was imagining things (both Mum and I are nurses and it was pretty damn obvious something was seriously wrong just days after the op) I had clips and the wound oozed so much it ran down both my legs and they refused to give me dressing or send me home with any. I am now 10 weeks post op and am literally JUST getting there recovery wise. The wound has finally stopped oozing and the pain is bearable.

Sorry to sound so negative, would I do it again?? In a heartbeat if I had to. Kyle has been worth every moment of pain and yuckiness but ifI ever have to have another C section I pray it goes better than this one and the aftercare is at least reasonable :(
Kyle James finally arrived 26/06/2011 6 lbs 3oz by emergency C section. xx
cordy79
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Labor & Delivery