Anyone's Epi not worked?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Anyone's Epi not worked?

Postby dee12h » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:55 pm

I have rods in my lower back, and last time, the anesthesiologist told me there was a 50% chance of the epi not working, but it did work, thank God!
I am VERY scared that it won't work this time. I'll be @ a diff hospital in a diff city.

I feel like I won't be prepared if it doesn't work bc I didn't do all the "practice" & prep that natural birth ppl do.

What happened when you're epi didn't work?

I have read natural birth stories, and I KNOW that is not for me. I know myself, and I will not be able to handle it.

Also, I've heard ppl say that their epis wore off. 8O :?: The kind I had was those continuous ones where you push the button whenever you need more. There is no way it can "wear off". Does not everyone get that kind? Do some hospitals not have that kind?
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Linds0412 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:07 pm

I had the continuous one with my son too .. I've heard about these epi's that wear off but thankfully I never had that issue with my son. As for it not working .. I actually have a few friends who said this happened to them and it was with their 2nd babies. I don't remember all the details of their labours but I do remember them saying they could pretty much feel everything by the time it was time to push. I'm sure it took a bit of the edge off but not like with their first babies. All of them had an epi that worked for their first babies but not with their second. Not sure why that would be?

I am TOTALLY with you on natural child birth not being for me. I LOVED every second of my labour with my son and I totally credit that to my epi. So I had planned on having one with my daughter as well .. it was my worst nightmare to do it without one. Long story short .. my labour went so fast there was no time for one and I no choice but to do it naturally. I hadn't planned or prepared for it at all or even entertained the thought of attempting to do it naturally. Unfortunately it just happened that way and I did it .. because I had no choice. My point is .. if you end up having to do it naturally for one reason or another you'll do fine without prepping for it. Especially with your second .. things usually go much quicker. But trust me .. I'm totally terrified of having to do it naturally again so you're not alone in your fears!
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Linds0412
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Velity » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Epidurals don't work on me.
Both times I had natural unmediated births, yet I wanted the drugs! ha
Honestly, your so in the moment and your body goes into auto pilot.

I had stitches after my first with no medication because my doctor saw on my chart I had an epi.

That being said I learned my lesson with my first.
I wrote a birth plan and kept it realistic, explaining more of my medical issues they would be dealing with. (no med students)
ie: how epis don't work for me and I don't clot after birth.
I also brought my mother to take care of me because my husband gets to into the baby and forgot about me the first time around.

I couldn't have been more pleased with how special and wonderful my second birth was to my daughter.
The doctor filled all my wishes.

With my third I had to have a spinal with my c-section and that almost didn't work. After an hour of poking and telling my husband he wouldn't be allowed in the room to see the birth of our daughter it worked.

They said this is related to dental work too.
Allison
Image Image
ImageImageImage
Velity
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:29 am

I did get an epi and it did work, but not until my daughter had been stuck, face-up, during transition-strength contractions for over an hour. So I've been through something pretty bad, and I'll tell you... you CAN do it. You might seriously not want to ;) but you can.

The epidural stalled labor and made my blood pressure fall dangerously low, though, so they turned it off and started giving me pitocin 8O . So that was kind of like the epidural wearing off. It took about an hour, maybe more, to go away completely. So "wearing off" wouldn't happen suddenly.

What I understand about anesthesia though is that a "spinal" is a single dose of medicine and can wear off, but an epidural is always continuous. So maybe people really mean their spinal wore off.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Eren » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:33 am

"Natural childbirth is not for me" is only something you can say when you have the choice. In many cases, women don`t have the choice,(if pain relief is not an option or if it doesn`t work), yet they ultimately give birth and survive the "ordeal". If your epi didn`t work, then you wouldn`t have the choice, but somehow you would cope. In fact that is what excited me about having a natural birth with Lily; finding out how I would cope in an extreme situation. I did no preparation, in that I didn`t go to any classes, or learn breathing techniques or do meditation or hyponobirthing or anything like that. I did read natural birth stories and I did gain from that the confidence to know that if other women can do it, then probably so could I.

I went into the birth not knowing what I would do and how exactly I would cope with the pain. I wanted to find out what I would do and how my brain and body would cope with it without having any book or nurse tell me what I "should" be doing. It was an amazing journey into discovering myself and just what I was capable of.

The other thing not to take lightly is the fact that there are strong hormones at play with natural birth. They have a massive impact on your coping mechanism and how you feel about things afterwards. I was on a natural high for ages afterwards.

Oh and of course it is frequently the case that for a second child, labour is shorter, which makes things nicer all round really. lol.
me 37 dh 40
dd, 6
dd, 5

:angel: #4 9w1d "Akari" (light) Dec 2014
:angel: #6 15w4d "Melanie" Dec 2015
Eren
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:36 am

My epi didn't work on one side (I have partial scoliosis and the curve of my spine made the epi not work right). It sucked, but when I told the anesthesiologist they put a different kind of pain killer in the epi machine that worked great (the only unfortunate part was that it was a short half-life so it wore off every 45 min or so and they'd have to give me more, but it also helped relax some of my muscles pelvic muscles and helped my labor progess by allowing my pelvis to stretch a little more instead of stalling it).

So that's always something to keep in mind. If you get an epi and it doesn't seem to work you can always ask if they have a different medication they can use in it to see if it will work better.

My blood pressure dropped really low too but the anesthesiologists are trained for that to happen (it's rather common actually) so they have meds right there to help normalize everything pretty quickly. You just have to tell them immediately if anything feels funny or different in any way. I almost passed out because I didn't say that I was feeling funny soon enough and then when I felt the epi wearing off on one side I wouldn't say anything because I didn't realise what was going on until I was in actual, serious pain. If I'd spoken up sooner I would have avoided a lot LOL.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ete29 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Epidurals don't work on me.
Both times I had natural unmediated births, yet I wanted the drugs! ha
Honestly, your so in the moment and your body goes into auto pilot.

I had stitches after my first with no medication because my doctor saw on my chart I had an epi.

That being said I learned my lesson with my first.
I wrote a birth plan and kept it realistic, explaining more of my medical issues they would be dealing with. (no med students)
ie: how epis don't work for me and I don't clot after birth.
I also brought my mother to take care of me because my husband gets to into the baby and forgot about me the first time around.

I couldn't have been more pleased with how special and wonderful my second birth was to my daughter.
The doctor filled all my wishes.

With my third I had to have a spinal with my c-section and that almost didn't work. After an hour of poking and telling my husband he wouldn't be allowed in the room to see the birth of our daughter it worked.

They said this is related to dental work too.

How come? I've been told I have a condition where Epis don't work, but I've never tried an epi so I wouldn't know. Just curious if we have the same condition :wink:
DS Dec'08
DD Jul'10 dx w/high risk neuroblastoma June '11-became an angel oct '12
Early M/C July '13
DD Jan'15
My Blog
ete29
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Velity » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:14 pm

They have no clue why it didn't work for me.
Maybe my weight?
I know other big girls that it has worked for.
They just told me that epi's just don't work for some people.
I know a L&D nurse, I should ask her...
Allison
Image Image
ImageImageImage
Velity
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby plus1makes7 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:06 pm

With my last baby it only worked on half of my body, so much so that my face was drooping on one side :( But labor was so quick that it didn't phase me. It took quite a while to recover from it and was super numb for a while, but Im sure I will get another one this time around!
Me:31 (Jes)
DH:32
3 Sweet Angel Babies

DSD:15
DSS:10
DD:7
DD:4
DSS:3
DD:2
Girl #4 for us together!!
plus1makes7
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby LMS172 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:41 pm

My epi didn't work for me either. They tried 4 different times but only the outside of my right leg was numb. I was completely unprepared for an unmedicated birth but insticts just took over.

It's really not as bad as you would imagine. I mean it hurts but you'd definitely make it through. I wasn't even numb when I got stitches but I don't remember feeling a thing. I think at that point you kind of become numb on your own.

I don't know why mine didn't work but I'm contemplating not even trying again this time around. I'm thinking that this labor will be quicker since it's my second, at least I'm hoping. Also, if it doesn't work, I don't want to be trapped in the bed like last time. If I have to labor naturally I'd rather be able to get up and walk around and you can't do that once the epi is administered.
Lori - 40 Mike - 45
DSD Megan - 10
DS - Jack 3
DD - Emma born 10/20/11
:angel: 12/05
:angel: 12/06
ImageImage
LMS172
Angel
Angel

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 am

mine was too late i got it at 9cm because i was borderline psychotic and was my head was spinning off into another dimention. i was 7cm when they started doing it and they couldnt get it in, it didnt take and only took after the birth when i had to have my episiotomy

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkijames » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:04 pm

M epi stopped working with my 3rd baby. it had been fine, pain-free even until I felt the urge to push. She was out in 3 pushes and the natural high from her birth was amazing. But I still had an epi with my 4th ;)
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:46 pm

I had a failed epi experience too. I had pre-e with my first baby and was really really edemic (I had gained like 5 lbs in 4 days right before I was induced) and apparently that was the reason but who knows. They tried for a frickin half hour to jam that needle into my back with no success. It was 100x worse than the actual labor (not exaggerating, it was terrible). After it didn't work, they gave me a shot of fentanyl which worked for maybe an hour or so before it wore off, and they aren't allowed to give you more than one of those shots because of the risk of spinal headaches so by the time I was in transition and ready to push I was drug-free anyway, so not all that helpful. Plus it made me super itchy.

The whole experience was bad enough anyway that I said that I would never have another epi and went for a natural water birth this time around. I know some people have great epi experiences but I will never go that route again.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnnaBanana23 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:29 pm

I didn't plan on having an epi, but after 24 hours of labour, 10 of which was hard induced contractions and back labour...yuck! I was still only 5cm after all that and I decided to have a epi. It worked for about an hour and let me sleep and gain some strength, I was able to walk with my epi. MyDoula and the nurses said they had never seen anyone with so much control over their legs. I could slowly feel the pain come back after about two hours and I had really intense pain on my left side. It was awful....not sure if it helped or not, but the pain was still intense.
AnnaBanana23
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby diana0324 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:53 pm

MMy edipdural didn't work either. I don't know if the lady didn't know what she was doing or what. She gave it to me in the middle of a contraction even though I asked to her to wait a minute. It was 8 am and I was just tired from laboring all night. I wanted to sleep. The pain wasn't even that bad. The epidural pain from her trying was terrible. I was bawling. After it didn't work I told her don't bother the labor pain was nothing compared to the epidural pain. I had back pain for 2 years after that from the failed epidural. The pain u feel at 5 cm js the same exact level of pain u feel at 10cm if that helps! It doest get worse.
So I am going 100 drug free with this one. The pain is honestly not that bad I promise! Just like a very bad menstrual pain! Hope this helps!
Diana

diana0324

Next

Return to Labor & Delivery