Why do I do it??!!

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Why do I do it??!!

Postby charlotteb » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Flipping channels today, and stopped on A Baby Story, or one of those other baby-related TLC shows. Not quite sure which. Of course, that's always a big mistake. I think they seriously find the most severe cases they can. Anyway, girl on the show decided to go natural, and at transition, she goes absolutely batsh*! insane! Thrashing, cursing, screaming... it's like a scene from The Exorcist.

So seeing as how I'm planning to go naturally this time, I'm like 8O . The fact that the end is getting closer and closer now (I'm even starting to have dreams about L&D!), I'm starting to get a lot more anxious. Like, "Holy crap. I actually have to have another baby!"

Needless to say, seeing this is not at all what I needed. They need a flipping show for happy, easy, wonderful labors that would actually freaking encourage women! Dang, TLC! You depress the crap out of me!
Me (Charlotte): 28
DH: 33
DS1: 3
DS2: Brand new!
Image 8/2010 1/2011 Chemical 4/2011

charlotteb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Awww, I know, it's awful :(. I think they pick shows for drama, not for reality! Try searching for natural births on line. Checking those out really made me feel confident and empowered :).

BTW, my natural birth was NOTHING like that! It was great!!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:11 pm

I had a natural birth and said in my story mine was not one they should show to anyone wanting to go that route LOL. We all have different ways of dealing with the pain; apparently I'm a screamer (though I never screamed at my husband or anything...I just screamed). In hindsight, though, it might have been nice to see something like that to know i was "normal" (at least my normal!) while I was in labor and wondering why I wanted to scream so badly when the natural births I'd seen online and read about did not involve screaming. But really, I agree that those shows are for the drama aspect more than anything. I'm surprised you got to see one actually go through a natural birth since most of the ones I see end up with the epi and/or pitocin and/or a c-section.

FWIW, I still view my natural birth as a completely wonderful thing, and it is absolutely the way I will go for any future babies (if we have any more). I just know that I am not a quiet birther now, and that's okay. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Eh... I was in transition, unmedicated, with a stuck face-up baby. My moaning turned into yelling. No thrashing or screaming. In the moment I was absolutely sure I'd never have another baby again... but now I've decided I will ;)
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:58 pm

I stopped watching that show long ago but DH happened to turn to it the other day... it was a really, really old episode where the mama went natural w/ the Bradley Method. She was so composed and calm the whole time, even while pushing; it was so refreshing and inspiring...but not very dramatic. No wonder they don't put those ladies on tv anymore.

On one of the last episodes of Baby Story I watched, a mama abandoned her natural birth plan and said she wanted an epidural. The nurse immediately said, "Good for you. Look at it this way--would you have a tooth pulled without pain medicine?" Without going into my rant about how asinine of a comparison that is, I thought that scene was a blatant example of much the show discourages and disrespects natural, unmedicated childbirth. :roll:
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby callah » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:43 am

Transition can be the hardest part of labour. Personally, my advice is, get a doula. They can get you though that part like nobody else can.

Some people can get through it like nothing, other struggle.

I think a lot of those shows are crap and unrealistic. I also think it discourages mothers from going unmedicated and scares them from even trying natural childbirth.
Me Carmen
Dh Dylan
DD Madison 16
DD Kennedie 11
DS Garrett 9
DS Cole 4
DS Ty 2
DS Ledger June 18th, 2012 (3 1/2 hour before our induction!)
Birth Doula certifying with both DONA and CAPPA!
callah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Why do I do it??!!

Postby yesyesyes » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am

I loved being in labor. When I had my first and they threw her on me I looked at exhubby and said "we have to do this again" lol. I've had two since then. I can't wait to do it again. But.....I'm crazy so...
yesyesyes
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby KJ511 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:37 am

yesyesyes wrote:I loved being in labor. When I had my first and they threw her on me I looked at exhubby and said "we have to do this again" lol. I've had two since then. I can't wait to do it again. But.....I'm crazy so...

Ahhhh! You LOVED being in labor?!? So funny! I am glad to hear that it's good for some people!

I had a rough labor so I had an epidural. I wanted to avoid it but couldn't. However, even when I was in sooooo much pain before I got my epi, I was kind and polite to everyone, even though I couldn't talk very well. :P I think your reaction to pain will be similar to your reaction to other pain, so if you tend to be calm and pleasant even when in pain I think you will while you are in labor also. If you really want a natural birth, YOU CAN TOTALLY DO IT!!! :D
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby BeccaM » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 pm

yesyesyes wrote:I loved being in labor. When I had my first and they threw her on me I looked at exhubby and said "we have to do this again" lol. I've had two since then. I can't wait to do it again. But.....I'm crazy so...

I can't say I loved every part of it, but it was definitely an emotional & hormonal high for me, even though some of it definitely hurt! So I agree with you... must be crazy too, LOL...
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Labor & Delivery