Contemplating C-section and need advice

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Contemplating C-section and need advice

Postby Shannon88 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:58 pm

So, to make a super long story short, my last full term pregnancy ended in a stillbirth. For some reason, my body just never goes into labor on its own. I also almost lost my son at 41.5 weeks, because they waited to induce me. When I lost my daughter, I was 40 weeks and 3 days and still had 10 more days to go until they would induce me. I always said that if I ever was blessed with another baby, I would have a C-section and my new doctor was cool with that. Well, now I'm getting up there and my sister, a NICU nurse, is freaking out and telling me that I am making dangerous medical decisions and could harm my baby because I want a c-section at 36 weeks. The thought of going through labor again is just too painful for me and I just really don't see the need to do that again. I know there are risks with having a c-section, but since then, I have started having some heart problems, passing out and getting dizzy and the cardiologist things that it's just a weird thing brought on by the pregnancy and the only way to cure it is delivery. Also the MFM doc said that if I had the amnio and the lungs were good, he would also have no problem with me having a c-section at 36 weeks.

Now, I'm sure you can all imagine that I am petrified, anxious, and now feeling guilty and second-guessing my decisions. My sister thinks that my doctor is just placating me because I'm just a crazy woman. She thinks I am making up conditions in my head and that have a c-section is major surgery and I shouldn't do it. I'm just so annoyed and don't know what to do. What would you do? I know a lot can happen between now and the next 5-6 weeks that could change everything, but I also don't want to do anything to harm my baby.
** Shannon **

Proud Submariner Wife to Eric 05/28/2005

Proud Mommy to Jeremy Ryan ~ born safely 08/03/2007 and Savannah Grace ~ born into Heaven 05/18/2009 & 4 MC Angels

http://www.savannahgracerenfro.blogspot.com/

Shannon88

Postby Jamm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:36 am

A c-section is a major surgery and should not be a decision that is taken lightly. Now due to your history I totally understand not wanting to go into labor and chancing anything happening to the baby. I am going to say in my OPINION I would absolutely have a c-section as well. As long as the amnio is clear than I would do whatever makes you feel safer and more comfortable. I know in most hospitals they won't allow scheduled c-sections before 39 weeks due to your due date possibly being off by 2 weeks. I am also thinking that since the hospital is also in agreement with the 36 week c-section than they clearly see the benefit of you having one early.

I am so sorry for everything you have gone through. I would think your decision through and do whatever makes you and the baby feel safer. Your doctor knows more about the conditions that you are dealing with medically than your sister does so in all honesty I would fallow his advice before anyone elses.
Me 30 DH 41
DS:12
DD & DS:9
DD: 8
DD & DS: 4
Jamm
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

hi

Postby kitty1978 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:21 am

Im going to have a c section around 36 weeks maybe early, and i know their are risks to a c section but if u feel like its the best thing for you. And that giving birth natrually is to painful emotionl for you.
People wind me up on how c sections are soooo wrong and it should be a natrual birth some of us cant give birth naturally. Good luck i hope everything goes ok for u. :D
[url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/]Image[/url
kitty1978
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lovlya » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:56 am

I don'r blame you for your thoughts....I am also having a c section again (by choice) and it's the right thing for me....not anyone alse. Given your situation I don't blame you one bit.
Me 31 DH 31
IVF #1 twin girls born at 28 weeks
after SCH and PROM at 18wks.
hospital bed rest till delivery
Meara in Heaven- 12.25.08
Cora-now 3 yrs old
FET-BFN
FET#2-BFP It's a girl!
lovlya
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Skeely » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:12 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your heartbreaking loss. If I were in your shoes I would absolutely have a c-section. There is no doubt in my mind. True, I believe for low risk women a vag birth is safer, but a c-section is still very safe.
As for the 36 weeks, that seems early but I agree with others that (I hope) they would not do it unless it were best for you. But if you are really worried that your sis is right and they are placating you, why not just ask the docs what they think?
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Postby monkeysauce » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:37 pm

I absolutely see where you are coming from, and in your shoes, I'd want an early c-section also. I remember that starting around 37 weeks, it just seemed to me that the baby would be safer out than in. We had a cord accident in our due date club that scared the bejeezus out of me.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Laureenjellybean » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:53 pm

I would do the section as well. What are your sister's concerns exactly for your baby? Having a baby premature isn't ideal by any means. Is there a reason they're doing 36weeks vs 37?? I'm a NICU nurse too and 36 weeks seems a little early. I'd be MOSt concerned about lung maturity, but if they're going to do an amnio at that point, they'd know where your baby is at. I'm assuming if they weren't mature, they'd hold off. Having a baby at 36 weeks could go either way. You could end up needing some NICU time, as sometimes babies born at that gestation have difficulty with temp regulation and feeding. They are also more succeptible to illness. All those in consideration, I think your baby would ultimately be fine at 36 weeks. (You're sure of your dates right?) If it was 34 weeks, I'd have more questions, but 36, you should be ok. Many babies are born at 36 weeks and are fine.
You have to do what feels right for you. Given your past, I don't think a csection is unwarranted. So sorry you have to make such a difficult decision. I know you don't want to have regrets either way.
Me: Laureen (30)
DH: Kenny (30)
Ds:Carter (2) (born Feb. 23, 2009)
DD: Calliana (born Oct 3,2010)
:angel: Feb 08' Baby Angelo-left us to Triploidy
:angel: :angel:-Nov 09' twin blighted ovum
:angel: July 11' early m/c
Laureenjellybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kuetoo73 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:46 pm

As someone who had a c-section with DS and is opting for a second, I don't understand why people (ie, your sister - no offense!) have such strong opinions about c-sections! Isn't the goal to get baby into the world safely?? If that is what your doctor recommends, go for it. Major surgery or not, you won't even care once that little peanut is cuddling in your arms!
Me - 38, DH - 45
DS - 21 months, SS - 11 years

June 22, 11dpo - BFP!
June 24, 14dpo - hcg 183
June 27, 16dpo - hcg 827
July 5, 24dpo - 12,388
July 11, 30dpo - 56,742
July 13 - u/s - saw hb of 138!!
July 27 - u/s - saw and heard hb of 178!!
kuetoo73
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Shannon88 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Thank you for your support and reassurance, ladies. I feel much better about my decision to have a c-section at this point. I am still terrified and petrified and all that, but I trust my doctor and MFM doctor and stillbirth research doc who has been consulting with me. The only thing that has me wound up now is that I have an ultrasound image where the cord is clearly spiraled up all tight! Way to freak me out, baby girl! This mama doesn't need anything else to be freaked out about!
** Shannon **

Proud Mommy to Jeremy Ryan ~ born safely 08/03/2007 and Savannah Grace ~ born into Heaven 05/18/2009 & 4 MC Angels

Shannon88

Postby Claudhopper » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:56 pm

If I were in your shoes I would totally do a c-section. No need to risk it again, after your terrible loss of your baby girl. I had a c-section with DS, only because he was breech and I was not willing to risk losing him trying to do it naturally. This time I am hoping for a VBAC, but if its not safe, I will do another c-section. Recovery wasn't bad at all (I went for a hike after 3 weeks) so I think if it's the right choice for you, then go for it. Best of luck to you and I hope all goes smoothly for you :)
Me 35 (Claudia)
DH 40
DS1 - 3 (born July 23, 2009)
DS2 - born July 24, 2012 @ 3:05PM

Claudhopper
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shannon88 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Thank you so much for all of your support, ladies. I have my amnio Friday and c-section has been scheduled for Monday at noon. If results aren't back by then (I have no idea what to expect with the weekend in the mix) then I'll be admitted for observation and c-section will be rescheduled likely for 5am on Wednesday. If the lungs are not developed, then we move to 12/30. So in a nutshell, it could be Monday, Wednesday, or the week after. Who knows?!?! I'm just ready to meet this little girl, hear that cry, and finally have another little girl in the family, this time, one who lives with us and not in Heaven!
** Shannon **

Shannon88

Postby Charese » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:59 am

I hope all went well, Shannon... did you have baby girl yet?
Charese (36) Hubby (34) DD (10 1/2) DS (2 1/2)

Angel Babies: 2/14/11, 6/17/11

Our 3rd:

132 :hb: 8w 3d
175 :hb: 11w 3d
154 :hb: 19w 6days
150 :hb: 25w 2days

ImageImage
Charese
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Labor & Delivery