Abdominal Binding

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Abdominal Binding

Postby BBee » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:48 am

I have a c/s scheduled for Tuesday morning, so no time to order anything online! Has anyone bought any type of abdominal binding in a store or made their own? Any suggestions appreciated!
Me:31 DH:33
TTC#1 since Jan 2009
DX: Unexplained Infertility
2nd IUI with 50mg Clomid :bfp: @ 10DPIUI
DS Born 11/15/11 ~ 8lbs 2oz 22"

TTC#2 since May 2012
DX: Male Factor
IUI #1 w/Ovidrel :bfn:
IUI #2 w/50mg Clomid & Ovidrel (3 follies) = :bfn:
IUI #3 w/Gonal,Ovidrel,Prometrium (at least 5 mature)= :bfn:

No longer TTC, Focusing on our Special Needs Son :hb:
BBee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jamm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:28 am

I never bought the abdominal binding things but I did wear tight stretch pants after each of my c-sections. It helped with getting the air out of my stomach area and it also made it feel held in the aspect of their was more support at the incision area (hope that makes sense). If you can't get out to get one I would suggest tight stretch pants.
Me 30 DH 41
DS:12
DD & DS:9
DD: 8
DD & DS: 4
Jamm
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:39 pm

You might look at a medical supply company in your area...

The hospital gave me a binding, but the only time I used it was on the drive home from the hospital. They pointed out--and they were right--that it tends to trap gas in the abdomen.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Skeely » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:19 pm

The hospital gave me one, which meant it got billed (I guess) to insurance. I gave up on it pretty quickly though because I found it was not rigid enough and if I bent it would crease near my incision and cause me more discomfort.
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Postby BBee » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks for the input! I asked the nurse at the pre-op today and she said they don't give out anything so I'll probaby just ask my midwife for a script... but if push comes to shove I will definitely check out a med supply store!!
TTC#1 since Jan 2009

TTC#2 since May 2012

BBee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:22 am

Never heard of that!

FYI The recovery from my c/s was pretty darn easy, I pray for the same for you!
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BBee » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:44 am

Lara this is reassuring to me! Tell me more! When were you able to get out of the house, vaccuum etc? I'm going to go crazy getting DH to do everything for me!
TTC#1 since Jan 2009

TTC#2 since May 2012

BBee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AussieMom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 pm

I wish that I had worn a GOOD binder after my C-sec for twins. Mainly for the long term support of your abdominal muscles.
I had a large separation of my abdominal muscles (the ones running from just under my ribs, down to the pubic bone). I ended up having a Tummy Tuck to fully repair those muscles 4 yrs after my C-sec. After the TT surgery I was given a firm velcro binder that was stiff, and helped not only support the scar but also the muscles during recovery. If I had worn a supportive binder right after my c-sec I might have avoided the muscle damage. Those muscles can 'knit' back together after being stretched out during pregnancy, but they need to be supported for a while.
So in hindsight, I should have worn the binder I used for my tummy tuck, after my c-sec. It would have also supported my back muscles, which suffered a lot under the strain of bending over to breastfeed two babies around the clock.
This pregnancy I am going to look into getting one of the really good quality ones, like
http://designveronique.com/
I know that you can buy some cheaper options from places like Target, like "Dr Rey's" Spanx style things, and they might be effective too... probably much cheaper.
I actually used quite a good Dr Rey's abdominal body suit one, after my TT surgery, and it was quite good, but if you plan to wear it a lot, the proper compression maternity clothes are better designed for everyday use.

And as for the c-sec, I was feeling very good a week after surgery. I went out on a 'brief' date with my DH, on the 1 week mark (left the twins with Grandma for an hour). I was off pain meds by then, but then there were odd times in the following weeks where I needed some pain meds for niggling discomfort.

I was driving after 2 weeks, vacuuming, I can't remember- was to busy eating, feeding, sleeping twin babies, that I don't think I vacuumed!!
Emily, 30
DD: (9)
Twins: Boy/Girl (7)
DS: (5)
DS: (1)
Expecting Baby Boy, June 27 2014!

AussieMom
Angel
Angel

Re: Abdominal Binding

Postby larchelle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:42 pm

I've been looking at this one - http://www.csectionrecoverykit.com/products/deluxe-c-section-recovery-kit.html Planning to ask my dr about it.
Preggo w/#1 & #2!! via IVF

larchelle

Return to Labor & Delivery