Natural Birth:Bradley Method/Classes, Anyone?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Natural Birth:Bradley Method/Classes, Anyone?

Postby Michelle631 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:43 am

DH and I are going to be taking Bradley Classes in January. I really want to try for a Natural Childbirth.

Have any of you used the Bradley Method? What's your story? Pros and Cons?

Any and all information would be appreciated.

Thanks!
MC 12/15/11 :angel:
Michelle631

Postby Susy07 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I didn't use any method specifically, but I do believe in the body's ability to birth a child. I think if you trust your body and relax and go with it, things will go great! Good luck!
I'm Susy (27) Dh is Tyler (29)
Baby angel lost at 5 weeks in May 2007.
William Christian. Born Dec 14 2008,
Baby angel lost at 8w4d. Miscarried at 11w1d in Nov 2010.
Rachel Amber, Born Feb 29th, 2012
Baby angel, 9w2d. Partial molar pregnancy, lost Sept 1, 2013
Tessa Breanne born Nov 10, 2014
Susy07

Postby BeccaM » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 pm

My husband and I took Bradley classes before our son was born and I totally would recommend them to anybody expecting a baby! We had an awesome teacher who had 4 kids naturally of her own. It was great. We learned so much more than just about labor. We were educated on hospital procedures and how to handle interventions, how to eat, exercises for mental and physical relaxation, and a lot about breastfeeding and post partum care, as well. They were so great! We will definitely be re reading the book next time around and practicing the relaxation.

That isn't to say that you couldn't make it through labor without classes, but for us, it really helped DH and I both have confidence in ourselves. We felt like we were ready to handle what came our way and we weren't afraid. I think they really helped.

BTW, I made it through a labor in a hospital with no interventions and/or medication of any kind, and were able to breastfeed right away and we still are BF'ing! So I consider it a success! :D
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:58 am

We took the Bradley Class with our first. I'd recommend it. Try to find an instructor who has good references. Our instructor was flaky who doesn't teach at all anymore. I highly recommend education throughout your whole pregnancy, including information on nutrition and what happens during pregnancy and not just labor and delivery.

The one thing I found when I was talking to doulas and bradley instructors was that a lot of Bradley people can be pretty judgmental about things that aren't 100% natural. I caught a lot of flack because I had a breech baby and chose to have a c-section instead of trying to find a doc who would deliver a breech baby vaginally.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tellmewy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:32 pm

I had signed up for the Bradley classes but then was put on strict bed rest at 26 weeks (due to preterm contractions) for the duration of pregnancy so I read the Student Workbook (the teacher sent me the copy I had ordered) and Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. I also read Ina May Garten's Guide to childbirth. I have to admit I did not practice the relaxation as much as I could have and my husband hardly looked at the books so that is somewhere we would have benefited from the classes. Otherwise, I was able to study everything on my own with the books and I think I would have been able to have my natural birth if I didn't need an emergency c-sec.

I labored naturally at home for 15 hours before going to the hospital and the relaxation techniques worked really well. For me it REALLY freaking hurt but I was able to get through the contrax even when they were on top of each other and a minute and a half long by totally relaxing. Once at the hospital we discovered baby was stuck and having major heart decelerations with contractions (and who knows for how long before I got there) and they broke my water to check for meconium. Once my water was broken the contractions became verging on unbearable almost immediately and I asked for the epi b/c I was 90% sure I was going in for a c-section most likely (I watch too many baby shows and know what comes next after heart decels and 'failure to progress'!). Even tho I ended up with an emergency section everything from the Bradley Classes helped me to have an amazing 15 hrs of natural labor at home and to know when to go to the hospital. I highly recommend reading the books even if you can't afford or can't get to a formal class! In my case my baby was presenting face first in a way that my OB said would have been nearly impossible to deliver vaginally so I don't feel bad at all about my c-sec! Good luck mama!
Me (Lynn) 29, DH 29 - Married 5 years
DS 11/2011 unplanned csec
DD 1/2014 med free VBAC
EDD #3: 11-5-15

tellmewy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:55 pm

I've had 2 completely hands-off, unmedicated Bradley births and can't recommend the method highly enough. It is so much more than a method of pain management; it's a system for staying low-risk during pregnancy so that medical intervention never becomes a necessity. (Many a natural birth plan have been foiled by high BP, bad fetal positioning, etc. etc.)

Bradley totally removed any fear I had of childbirth by educating me on the process and what exactly is happening inside my body during labor. I wasn't afraid of the pain, because I knew it was only strong muscles at work, not the result of a bodily injury. That perspective makes it possible to appreciate the intensity of contractions, welcome them and relax through them. (As crazy as it sounds to women who desire painless childbirth, I wanted to experience what it feels like to have a baby!) And after learning about the risks that come with various interventions, DH and I were even more committed to declining them unless they were a medical necessity.

Natural childbirth is so much easier than our society makes it out to be. The Bradley course was a fantastic reality check for me and gave me so much confidence. I hope you enjoy it as much as DH and I did. Good luck!

ETA- after posting this I noticed your signature. I am so sorry for your loss. :(
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dizzymariposa2 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Susy07 wrote:I didn't use any method specifically, but I do believe in the body's ability to birth a child. I think if you trust your body and relax and go with it, things will go great! Good luck!

this is what I believe as well.

The book Birthing From within in an excellent read.
Me (24) DP (25)
Gay mama to DD1 '07 DD2 '09 and DD3 '12
TTC (DP!) 2 '15
dizzymariposa2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Labor & Delivery