Really want this VBac

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Really want this VBac

Postby rkegreen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:42 am

So DD1's pregnancy was difficult to say the least.

I was huge, I was retaining water very bad, and my bp was very high. They sent me right to L&D 4 days before my due date. I don't think DD was ready to come out yet...but my BP was dangerously high. She only weighed 6.6 when she was born.

I was barely a fingertip dilated. I had pretty regular contractions when they admitted me so they couldn't start the induction.

They started with the pill, and then started the pitocin later.

I labored for 28 hrs! They broke my water, and I did have an epi, and I think that stalled everything. But I was in so much pain...and never made it past 2-3 cm. DD was just very high and wouldn't come down.

I had to have a C-Section. The recovery was not fun...and my milk didn't come in for 4-5 days. It was torture.

This pregnancy has been such a breeze compared to my first one.

I finally found a dr who was all for me trying for a VBac. I am even at a VBac friendly hospital...but I'm starting to get very nervous/scared.

I'm worried that I won't progress...that I will have to labor all those hrs again JUST to have a repeat C-Section.

Is there any advice that you could share to help ease my mind. Some things I can do to help my body progress like it is supposed to? I thought about trying EPO this time to help soften my cervix starting at 37 wks. I do have a birthing ball that I plan to be bouncing on.

I'm also worried because being I am a VBac I will be confined to the bed. Not to be allowed to walk, or use my birthing ball. I know some of this I need to talk to my dr about...but could really use some reasurance.

I talked to DH about my concerns...and he is all for me trying a VBac. He said he understands my fears and that taking the C-Section would be the 'easy way out' of laboring just to C-Section...and he also would like for me to try.

So at least he is supporting me...but....ugh...I'm nervous!
Me: Kendra - 29
DH: Robert - 26
------------------
No Longer TTC ~ Our family is complete.
Here to Cheer!
------------------
:angel: 09/22/07
------------------
ImageImage
------------------
ImageImage
------------------
Go 'Skers!
rkegreen
Angel
Angel

Postby Laureenjellybean » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:54 am

GO FOR IT!!
First and foremost, you do NOT have to be confined to a bed with a VBAC. If your hospital does not have mobile monitoring, then look for a new one. Being in a bed is one of the worst ways to help you progress. The only requirement at my hospital was continuous monitoring. I was even able to be monitored IN the jacuzzi tub.

My advice to you. First, ask your Dr. before you use the EPO. I was told I couldn't use a ripening agent (but this was more in reference to cervidil for induction) because it can increase the risk of rupture. Best case scenario is to go into labor on your own. Inductions are often a setup for failed labor because the body isnt' ready to do its thing yet. Forcing it to do it ahead of time often results in a failure to progress situation. When you DO go into labor, stay active as long as possible. Try to avoid the epi as long as possible. You DO NOT have to get the epi as a precaution. IV=very good idea and smart...epi, not 100% necessary. (I got my epi at 9cm dilated). Epis can slow labor, so again, if you can handle it, try to move things along on your own without the epi for a while. WALK, MOVE, labor in a tub. Avoid the bed and being on your back. I swear, the bed is just uncomfortable to labor in!!
Nothing is a guarantee, but it is worth it to give it a go. My recovery from my vbac was a breeze compared to my section. Definitely talk to your Dr. and ask all the questions here. Find out what you can and cannot do in labor. You'd be surprised at all the things you're still allowed to do!
Best wishes for your VBAC!!
Me: Laureen (30)
DH: Kenny (30)
Ds:Carter (2) (born Feb. 23, 2009)
DD: Calliana (born Oct 3,2010)
:angel: Feb 08' Baby Angelo-left us to Triploidy
:angel: :angel:-Nov 09' twin blighted ovum
:angel: July 11' early m/c
Laureenjellybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 2babylami » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:56 pm

I also want to try for a VBAC this pregnancy. However if my OB tells me I need to be a repeat c-section for whatever reason, I will listen to them. A repeat c-section is not the "easy way out" it is a MAJOR SURGERY, and there are more risks with a repeat c-section than a VBAC hands down. You never know how your body will react, for example I hemorrhaged from laboring so long then going to c-section, it was too much on my body. If someone ever said to me I was taking the easy road after almost dying my first labor I would tell them more than a few choice words. I think you need to think about what the safest way for you and your baby will be, speak to your doctors about your concerns and go from there. VBAC does not mean complete restriction as Laureen said, it varies from hospital to hospital, but most let you move around with monitors that stay on your belly. GL with your decision, do whats right for you not what others say.
Happily Married Stay at Home Mommy!
DS- 19 Months
Baby#2- EDD 8/5/12-IT'S A GIRL!!

2babylami
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ivycrystals » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:15 am

I'm preparing for a VBAC also. I haven't read all the replies, but wanted to share a couple of thoughts with you.

Read as many natural birth and VBAC stories as you can get your hands on. It will really help you feel like you can do it! Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is an amazing book!

Avoid interventions as much as possible. You saw with your first that one thing leads to another and while it was important b/c of your BP to get baby out. That doesn't mean you'll have a similar situation this time.

And remember that your body wasn't really ready for labor with your first so if you can avoid the BP issues this time you are in a better place for your VBAC.

Have you looked at the Brewer Pregnancy Diet? It's amazing and has really made me have a much easier pregnancy this time!
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby butterflylr » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:25 am

If you have a vbac friendly hospital and dr that will help a lot! Try to remember that just because your last birth went that way, doesn't mean it will happen again. My first birth was a cluster F from the time the contractions started. My VBAC was classic birth and perfect. For weeks I told myself every day I CAN DO THIS. Tell yourself you can but also prepare yourself in the event it doesn't go as planned.

I used my birthing ball a LOT at the end since she was sunny side up. She actually never flipped until I was in labor but it helped me get her to at least engage properly. I was allowed to get up and use a birthing ball but it was a PITA because I had to have continuous monitoring per hospital policy. I was going to go w/out epi because of fear it would stall labor. I held off as long as I could on the epi but ended up getting it because I couldn't get into good positions for pain mgmt with all the stupid monitors. With that being said, I didn't stall and everything actually went perfect. The whole thing was amazing.

I really hope you get your VBAC!
ME - Lindsay :29: / DH - James :30: / DS - Michael :05/29/08: / Rory :01/16/10: by VBAC!!

Image Image Image
Image http://different-not-less.blogspot.com/
butterflylr
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby StaceFace » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Oh, how I know SO WELL exactly the emotions you're feeling. I remember feeling so desperate for my VBAC and so wanting to hear every shred of encouragement I could find. All I can say is that your body CAN do it. Every labor and delivery is unique. I was blessed to get my VBAC and, after worrying so much about having failure to progress, etc. again, it turned out that my labor was NOTHING like my first one. Each baby, pregnancy, delivery is different - and a brand new chance for things to work out right. :)

I don't know your background, but I will tell you this: I prayed like a mad woman (literally) for my VBAC. I told EVERYONE I knew to pray for me. I prayed through my entire labor. I'm not sure if that's 100% WHY I got my VBAC, but I know that it made me feel peace and comfort, which I KNOW is what God wants for us as we face delivery. :)

Best wishes.
Stacy
Stacy: 32 Hubby: 33

Mom of two boys: 4 & 2.5 (they are SO much fun!)

Pregnant with #3! EDD: 06/29/14 - another BOY! YIPPEE!!!! :)
StaceFace
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Labor & Delivery