Pitocin vs. Breaking water- X-posted

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Pitocin vs. Breaking water- X-posted

Postby lachney » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Ok ladies...I am trying to weigh my options and see which route is more likely to result in me being able to have another natural birth. Has anyone experienced pitocin contractions with intact water, vs. natural contractions with a broken water?

I am 5cm and 80% effaced as of a couple days ago, and I am trying to decide which route to go for induction if I don't go into labor before i make it to 41 weeks. I am leaning towards breaking my water since I am already so dilated, I would hope that it would get things going quickly. However, once my water was broken with my daughter (it broke on its own) contractions were excruciating! But, I was also already in transition when it broke, so I think they were probably excruciating before it broke...

I am just deathly afraid of getting an epidural! Hopefully it doesn't come to this and I just go on my own, but in the mean time, anyone have any advice on which way to go if necessary?
Amy, 24; Patrick 26;
Abigail 6.27.10, 7lb 13oz, 21.25in;
Patrick, Jr. 2.2.12, 9lb 12oz, 21.25in

lachney
Star Member
Star Member

Postby callah » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 am

I've done both.

I don't feel contractions, so the pitocin was no big deal. I did however request an epi before they broke my water!

The pressure of labouring with no water was hell for me.
Me Carmen
Dh Dylan
DD Madison 16
DD Kennedie 11
DS Garrett 9
DS Cole 4
DS Ty 2
DS Ledger June 18th, 2012 (3 1/2 hour before our induction!)
Birth Doula certifying with both DONA and CAPPA!
callah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Never had pit, so I can't speak to that, but I did 28 hours of natural labor w/ DD1 with broken water. She was posterior and I was in transition a long time, which was pretty brutal, but the pain wasn't too bad before that. If your baby is in a more favorable position, chances are transition will go quickly and you won't have to manage the pain for too long. If you're already 5cm and not in labor, maybe the water is all that is keeping baby in there. My water broke on its own at 7cm with DD2 (no pit or epi)and she was in my arms less than 20 mins. later! There was barely time to feel any pain.

I'd definitely go for breaking your water if you have to choose between the two, if for no other reason than it's safer for baby. I wouldn't risk my baby's heartrate dropping and risking an emergency c before exhausting other options first.
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:05 pm

If you're induced with pitocin, it isn't a natural labour. Pit is something you should avoid unless it is 100% absolutely necessary.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:42 am

fodla wrote:If you're induced with pitocin, it isn't a natural labour. Pit is something you should avoid unless it is 100% absolutely necessary.

I believe some people define natural labor as "without pain drugs of any kind". My Bradley Birth instructor had 4 children, but went 2 weeks over due with every one (as long as the hospital midwife would let her go) and had to be induced with a very small, controlled amount of Pitocin for all her children. However, she did not have any pain drugs or an epidural at all, and coped with the pain naturally.
Last edited by BeccaM on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 am

I will add, that whenever I have heard from someone who had their water broken prematurely, they always said it made labor "so much harder". I never had my water broken, and my labor was bearable without pain meds. My water broke naturally at 9 1/2 cm dilated.

I would lean towards getting Pitocin, but talk to your doctor or midwife about delaying induction as long as possible and then if you don't go into labor using natural methods, getting the very lowest setting of Pit that will set you into active labor, and get it turned off as soon as your body kicks in!! Many caregivers, if talked into it, will let you go at least 10 days over due. Usually the maximum any hospital will allow is 2 weeks.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dizzymariposa2 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Neither. Why not wait until baby is ready? Both are interventions and will cascade into a domino effect of interventions. A natural labor is one that occurs in it's own. your doctor or midwife can NOT force you into induction. Your body, your baby, your rights.
Me (24) DP (25)
Gay mama to DD1 '07 DD2 '09 and DD3 '12
TTC (DP!) 2 '15
dizzymariposa2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tiredlullaby » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:26 am

my water was broke on accident by a resident during my induction (i had pre-e at 38 weeks).. they had given me a little pit before my water broke and they were manageable.. but as soon as they broke my water, it was bad.. i really wish they wouldn't have broke my water.
me- amanda
dh- rob
dd- rylie
ImageImage
tiredlullaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby illbeyourpride » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 am

I had pprom at 33 weeks and labor never started. At 34 weeks we had to induce with pitocin. I did get an epi, but labored for 28 hours without one, on the highest dose of pit the whole time, with almost no amniotic fluid. So it can be done. I am also not of the mindset that all interventions lead to more interventions. My first baby was also induced (necessarily) and I had a quick labor that never required pitocin (they used cervadil) delivered without any pain meds, and had a super easy recovery. My second I was induced with pitocin and got an epi and the birth was a hundred times more peaceful and I was so much more present for it. Because there was no pain I was actually able to feel my baby crown and drop out of me. Go with whatever feels right to you.
Heather, 25

DS1-Archer 12/17/09 Full term, 7lbs 2oz & 19"
DS2-Cohen 1/7/12 @ 34 weeks due to PPROM. 5lbs 7oz & 18". 11 day NICU stay.

Cloth diapering, bf'ing, SAHM.
illbeyourpride
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cinder4320 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:55 pm

My water broke before I was in active labor. I was put on the max dose of pitocin. The pitocin was worse than my natural contractions. If you have to be induced at all I'd start with water breaking. Your body continues to replenish the waters. If that doesn't work they'll go to pitocin likely anyways. Pitocin tends to lead to an epidural in most cases.
affordable, trendy cloth diapers http://www.firstcoastfluff.com
Like us on FB http://www.facebook.com/FirstCoastFluff for specials and deals!

Due Nov. 4th 2009...Arrived Oct. 25 2009
Due Aug 31 2012...Arrived August 16 2012

m/c January 2011 @~6wks
m/c July 2011 @~8wks

ImageImage
Cinder4320
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MSmama » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:21 pm

I would just encourage you that there are natural means of moving labor along......

Nipple Stimulation (manually or with breast pump)
Sex
Castor Oil
Different Foods/Herbs
Acupressure/Acupuncture
Walking
Rocking on hands and knees position to help baby rotate into head down with crown of head pushing on cervix....
Membrane STRIPPING (not breaking)

Sounds like you are already heading in the right direction - and it shouldn't take much to push you over the edge. ;) I personally would be hesitant to introduce pitocin to the equation (everyone reacts to it differently.....so the "lowest amount" might not produce "sufficient" contractions for you....and the opposite can be true in that the smallest bit might make you miserable.....)

On the other hand, if your body is not quite ready to labor, and your waters are broken you are then "on the clock" in most practitioner's eyes - which means, if you don't START contracting on your own and making "progress" within their "comfortable time frame" then they will introduce pitocin anyway.....

If you want another natural birth, it can't hurt to try natural means of induction before you agree to more "medical" means....

(Side note - my water broke at home and I didn't have 'real' contractions for about 2 hours after......Went to the hospital and was 4cm and 80% effaced at that point.....delivered 10 hours after my water broke without any epi or pit.....labor wasn't fun....but it was doable.....and not having intervention made the experience much more fulfilling for my DH and I....and recovery was very easy....)
That being said
MSmama
Star Member
Star Member

Postby illbeyourpride » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:34 pm

MSmama wrote:On the other hand, if your body is not quite ready to labor, and your waters are broken you are then "on the clock" in most practitioner's eyes - which means, if you don't START contracting on your own and making "progress" within their "comfortable time frame" then they will introduce pitocin anyway....

That's very true. My water broke and I didn't go in to labor. They induced me 2 days later. The whole time my water was broken I was on restricted movement, antibiotics, and fluids, so it wasn't very fun.
Heather, 25

DS1-Archer 12/17/09 Full term, 7lbs 2oz & 19"
DS2-Cohen 1/7/12 @ 34 weeks due to PPROM. 5lbs 7oz & 18". 11 day NICU stay.

Cloth diapering, bf'ing, SAHM.
illbeyourpride
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Fawkes » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:01 am

I did labor with pit and they broke my water (to get a fetal monitor on my DD since they couldn't get her heartbeat with external monitors). I did my whole labor with out pain meds. It is possible. It hurt, badly (contractions were double and triple peaking, but it IS possible. Once my water was broken, my contractions picked up tremendously.
Crystal | Jonathan :hb:
Mama to 3 beautiful daughters and one handsome baby boy.

Best Advice: "Just be you. She will love you no matter what." - From my mother.
Fawkes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Pitocin vs. Breaking water- X-posted

Postby Wrylilt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:34 am

I'd choose taking castor oil over pitocin! It has so many negative side effects for both mother and baby. I'd go with getting your waters broken, but try using evening primrose oil to help with dilation, and try and stay upright.
Advocate of Delayed Cord Clamping.
About to begin Doula & LC course.
Pregnancy Writer and Blogger.
Mummy of two, husband of one.
You may find my articles on 40+ ways to induce labour,
25 signs labour is about to begin, and
how to have a shorter labour relevant.
Wrylilt

Re: Pitocin vs. Breaking water- X-posted

Postby orionslight » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:22 am

i have had labors with pit and without. i felt no difference in the intensity of the pit induced versus the *natural* labor contractions. bottom line is labor hurts, with or without pit. never had any *negative side effects* with any of my babies, and i was induced with most of them.
Baby Ireland born 4-18-14 healthy and happy :)

Joining her 11 brothers and sisters
Loss July 2015@ 11+3, girl
Loss June 2016@ 13+5,boy
orionslight
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Labor & Delivery