What would you do?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

What would you do?

Postby 2babylami » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

I had to have a c-section with my son for these reasons:
primarily- Oblique posterior position
CPD- baby was 8lb 10oz and 22 inches long (poor bugger had a mark on his head from my pelvis :( )
Failure to progress- at 10cm dilated I pushed for 4 and 1/2 hours to no avail

With my section I hemorrhaged due to uterine atony from being in labor with water broken for over 25 hours. I had to have a blood transfusion and was in rough shape recovering from basically a vaginal and c-section delivery. I have the option to do a VBAC, which part of me really wants to experience the "full labor" since I got to crowning but didn't get the sensation of actually pushing him out and immediately BF him. I also think recovery will be easier, if all goes well. However I could schedule a RCS too. I am terrified of hemorrhaging again esp if a vaginal delivery, and also scared out of my mind about uterine rupture :( I don't want a VBAC if I will fail and end up with a section anyway, but I also don't want to regret not trying. What would you do given the situation? From what I have read a lot of VBACs are successful if they make it past the point they stalled. But i never stalled the baby was stuck. I also read the position my DS was in almost always requires a section, and there is a high probability my next one could be in the same position.
Happily Married Stay at Home Mommy!
DS- 19 Months
Baby#2- EDD 8/5/12-IT'S A GIRL!!

Image
User avatar
2babylami
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:00 am

Postby TTCin2010 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 pm

well sounds like you had a serious delivery... I'd get your Dr's opinion (if you like them....) and then go with your gut. If I were in your shoe's I'd do the RCS...my sis in law said her second was a breeze. (her first wasn't that great....)

If we have another I'd love to go VBAC so I feel you there... but I didn't even get to labor... the twins were a scheduled C, talk about a let down. I tell everyone that I didn't give birth... I just had surgery.

Good Luck and have a H&H 9Ms
Me:Lauree: 29 DH: Joe: 32

DS:Aidan: 7.20.11
DD:Audree: 7.20.11


My Blog

Image
User avatar
TTCin2010
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:00 am

Postby dizzymariposa2 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:26 pm

I'd VBAC.


There's no telling what position your LO will be in, or if your previous complications will repeat themselves.


For *ME*, the risks of a RCS are greater and far more dangerous than the risks of VBACing at home with an attentive, supportive midwife.
Me (24) DP (25)
Gay mama to DD1 '07 DD2 '09 and DD3 '12
TTC (DP!) 2 '15
User avatar
dizzymariposa2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Sunny Midwest

Postby 2babylami » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for your input ladies, I still can't figure it out! I may be one that doesn't choose until 39 weeks!
Happily Married Stay at Home Mommy!
DS- 19 Months
Baby#2- EDD 8/5/12-IT'S A GIRL!!

Image
User avatar
2babylami
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:00 am

Postby ritzy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I don't think you should choose until it gets much closer.....if everything looks optimal for a vbac...go for it! If the babe is oblique again or if there is some other factor that may indicate that a section is a better choice....than go for a repeat. Every pregnancy, labor and birth is different. Try not to worry about it too much until you have to! Good luck and congrats!
Michelle 40 DH 39
DD1 6/18/03
MC:12/4/09 We will always love you baby girl!
Twin DD & DS 3/21/11- Our IVF Miracles!
M/C 5/3/12 Always in our hearts....

Image

Image
ritzy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:00 am

Postby 2babylami » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks Ritzy- I am just going to see how big the baby is, what position s/he is in and how my scar holds during the pregnancy then try to make an educated decision in the end. I just was afraid if I waited til the end I might make a rash decision, which I wanted to avoid if possible.
Happily Married Stay at Home Mommy!
DS- 19 Months
Baby#2- EDD 8/5/12-IT'S A GIRL!!

Image
User avatar
2babylami
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:00 am

Postby AussieMom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:56 pm

I had a vaginal with my first.
A c-sec with the twins (first twin was breech)
3rd baby was a VBAC.
I ummed and ahhed for a while, but chose to try a completely natural VBAC. It was a hard labor (induced with pitocin) but I was able to do it without any meds. The recovery from my first birth (vaginal) was much harder than the c-section (I tore a lot) but with the VBAC, I felt GREAT during the recovery.
I am planning a VBAC again, this time.
It really comes down to a supportive OB and nurses. I chose not to have any meds so that I could feel if there was a tear, I had the baby fully monitored and I was close to the ER if I needed an emergency C-sec.
My first baby was posterior and it was a 24 hr labor after my water broke, it was long and hard and horrible, but it can get better!! My induced labor was 6-8 hours.
Goodluck with your plans
Emily, 30
DD: (9)
Twins: Boy/Girl (7)
DS: (5)
DS: (1)
Expecting Baby Boy, June 27 2014!

Image
User avatar
AussieMom
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 am
Location: UT, USA

Postby monkeysauce » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:04 am

I had an emergency c-section with my first, who was stuck. I was only in labor for a few hours and only dilated to 8.5 before she got stuck, though.

If I had had the problems you had I would schedule a c-section and not give it a second thought. Don't let all the romanticizing get to you; it's the rest of your lives that matter.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
User avatar
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:00 am

Postby nikki2246 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Lami-

I never dialted or effaced with my daughter. She was oblique/transverse and never would have been delivered on her own ( even if I had went into labor). I also hemmoraged after my section and the 1st 24 hours were a mess. While I understand your desire for a natural delivery all 6 dr's in my practice assured me that there is a 99% chance that any pregnancies I have will result with a malpositioned baby. My pelvis is too small to push out a baby...

if I should get lucky enough to have another I would have to have another c section. Go with your gut..to my personally I never cared how the baby got here as long as it was healthy ( not being snarky at all..i never had a strong desire to go through the natural labor experience). Check with the dr's and my guess is that they have an opinion on what they typically do...
User avatar
nikki2246
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:00 am

Postby 2babylami » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:42 am

Aussiemom-Thanks for sharing. I unfortunately will not be able to have any pitocin with this labor if I choose VBAC, as my hospital doesn't like to increase the risk of uterine rupture. The OB and Nurses there are fully supportive if I am a candidate for VBAC and the baby would be monitored the whole time.

monkeysauce- Thanks. I try not to let it bother me that a VBAC may not be in the cards, esp. since my labor would be so monitored and I wouldn't have the relaxing vaginal delivery I want anyway. But I for some reason am having a hard time deciding what is best for me and the baby.

nikki- That is interesting they told you that about the positioning. I thought all babies were different. I do know my OB told me if the baby is anywhere near the size of my son, they won't allow the VBAC b/c it was very clear the baby wouldn't fit at that size. I worry about recovery from another section with a toddler too..its never easy! lol
Happily Married Stay at Home Mommy!
DS- 19 Months
Baby#2- EDD 8/5/12-IT'S A GIRL!!

Image
User avatar
2babylami
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:00 am

Postby nikki2246 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 am

Lami-apparently the fact that I never effaced or dialted coupled with the position of the baby led the dr's to think my pelvis is to small to pass a baby..when they did the section they confirmed. They said in this situation 9 out of 10 times future pregnancies will be carried the same way because there really isn't anywhere for the baby to go...I agree about the recovery with a toddler...but almost everyone I have asked with RCS said that the recovery was easier since you already know what you are dealing with.
User avatar
nikki2246
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:00 am

Postby AussieMom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:32 pm

yes, I would absolutely not recommend pitocin in a VBAC! I'm glad your hospital has the policy, It made for a mean labour! The reason I was cornered into it in the end, was because they had already broken my waters to get things moving, and when I wasn't progressing into full labour they said that I needed to be be induced with pitocin... haha, one step leads to another in interventions!
I hope you can get a VBAC, if that's what you want, but a planned c-sec can be a reasonable recovery too, mine after the twins was surprisingly easy.
Emily, 30
DD: (9)
Twins: Boy/Girl (7)
DS: (5)
DS: (1)
Expecting Baby Boy, June 27 2014!

Image
User avatar
AussieMom
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 am
Location: UT, USA


Return to Labor & Delivery