How many scars?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How many scars?

Postby Thia » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 am

Hey ladies! While I am not yet PG I am doing my homework. I'd like another little guy for my little guy (I'm being needy), but I don't want another section.

Without delving into my whole story, I've had three sections. I have never labored and would like to find a doctor or midwife that will allow that.

I'm reading a bunch of literature (books and on line). The message is jumbled for me (having 3 scars). So I am turning to friends out there that might be in the same boat.

How many sections have you had? and are you wanting a VBAC? or have you had a VBAC with more than 1 scar (as they say: I have one 'scar' but have been sectioned 3 times).

Thanks for all your help!
ME~38 DH~46 *Endometriosis **DS1 '97, DS2 '99! both no meds
**M/C 05/08 ~BFP 10/28/08~M/C 11/7/08
BFP 4/14/09 11dpo = Baby Boy Born 12/09 **another m/c 08/11
Now on to charting another Pregnancy!
BFP 3/10/12! BETAS>12DPO=184; 14DPO=495; 18DPO=3414

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/203aa6
Thia
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby monkeysauce » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 pm

I only have one scar. My hospital's policy is that if you have had one c-section, you HAVE to attempt a VBAC (unless there are other factors involved). If you have had two c-sections, you HAVE to have c-sections after that.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MohawkPrincess » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm attempting labour after two c sections. I have midwives and have been given the option of hospital or home birth!
DD- Jan 2007
J- Dec 2008 :angel:
DS- Oct 2009
DD- July 2012: our anti c baby, enjoyed 6 days in the NICU
MohawkPrincess

Postby lovlya » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:32 pm

monkeysauce wrote:I only have one scar. My hospital's policy is that if you have had one c-section, you HAVE to attempt a VBAC (unless there are other factors involved). If you have had two c-sections, you HAVE to have c-sections after that.

never heard of after having one c/s that you have to try a vbac???????? Sounds pretty weird.
Me 31 DH 31
IVF #1 twin girls born at 28 weeks
after SCH and PROM at 18wks.
hospital bed rest till delivery
Meara in Heaven- 12.25.08
Cora-now 3 yrs old
FET-BFN
FET#2-BFP It's a girl!
lovlya
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:23 am

lovlya wrote:
monkeysauce wrote:I only have one scar. My hospital's policy is that if you have had one c-section, you HAVE to attempt a VBAC (unless there are other factors involved). If you have had two c-sections, you HAVE to have c-sections after that.

never heard of after having one c/s that you have to try a vbac???????? Sounds pretty weird.

a lot of hospitals right now are trying to lower the c/s rate because the odds of a succesful vbac after 1 section is so high. I have never heard it's required but think that that will become more common as they try and reduce the "c-section epidemic"

A lot of hospitals/obs are changing their stance on vba2c because of this
http://www.acog.org/About_ACOG/News_Roo ... Guidelines so I think a lot of hospitals that don't currently allow vba2c will start. and if you have a hospital/ob that says no to a vba2c you should take this article in to them to read and discuss.

I am seeing an OB for my vba3c and he has said that he thinks that the ACOG will find that it should not just be vba2c but vbaMc (multiply). He said the only significant jump is from 1 to 2 and after 2 your risks do not raise that dramatically. He feels very confident in my decision for a vba3c.

oh and this is my history : 3 previous c-sections. first emergency for face presentation, 2nd repeat, 3rd repeat due to a vbac ban at our hospital due to anesthesiologist not on staff 24/7 or something.
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Thia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:25 am

:) TY Ladies so much for replying to my thread/question. I'm currently REreading The VBAC Companion. I've finished Natural Childbirth after Cesarean. There are such conflicting information it's mind-boggling!

Christina, where have you found such courage and support? Are you having to drive farther for your care now? You mentioned that hospitals in your area didn't do VBACs. What's changed?

Monkeysauce, You're so lucky that your hospital allows at least a TOL with one Cesarean. I pray that my local hospitals (3) get on board!

Mowhawk, I'm curious as to what your midwife/ves have mentioned about reasons she'd actually transport you to the hospital. Does she have admission rights? I have several MW in my area and have yet to phone anyone because I feel weird in doing so cuz I'm not actually PG yet. KWIM?

I have an arsenal of books I'm going through. But I feel no amount of reading is REALLY going to make up my mind until I meet people and talk to physicians to know for sure. All I know is recovery for me (right after surgery) is the worst. Every time I've had an adverse reaction to medications.

Do you all mind if I follow you through your pregnancy? TY agian! Thia

Thia
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Thia wrote:
Christina, where have you found such courage and support? Are you having to drive farther for your care now? You mentioned that hospitals in your area didn't do VBACs. What's changed?

I have found courage and support the same place you're looking, online. Without having so many websites and women to reach out to online I would be lost since nobody I know in real life is in a situation like myself. Luckily we moved from ND to PA so that eliminated my dilemma of the hospital vbac ban.
For this pregnancy I was seeing a midwife/ob in an office in my town until about 24 wks but basically was in almost a bait and switch type of thing where the midwife told me the whole time that she was supportive and the ob would support us, well at my last appointment the OB told me absolutely not and left me feeling very upset and deflated. I never went back and reached out to doulas and midwives to find someone to support me. I was lucky to find an OB about 30 minutes away who has been great so far!

I've been reading some really good and empowering books if you'd like recommendations.

Pushed by Jennifer Block
The thinking woman's guide to a better birth by Henci Goer
Active Birth - Janet Balaskas
Birthing from Within - Pam England and Rob Horowitz
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way - Susan McCutcheon-Rosegg
and still have Ina May's Guide to Childbirth on my reading list.
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Thia wrote: All I know is recovery for me (right after surgery) is the worst. Every time I've had an adverse reaction to medications.

I forgot to write about this, I am hoping to go completely natural as my recovery is horrible from nausea and vomiting. Which you know after a c-section the last thing you want to be doing is throwing up and dry heaving after being cut open. So I totally get what you are saying!! I actually had a anesthesia consult at the hospital and talked with her about it and she said she feels strongly that I'll be able to get my natural birth since I'm so prepared for it.
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Thia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:08 pm

:lol: Your book list is my stack on my bed side table (almost) :lol:

I've burned through Natural Childbirth after Cesarean (great read). Got it from the local library (Amazon's expensive). Also REreading The VBAC Companion (same situation as above mentioned book). I've purchased but have not started: Pushed, The thinking woman's guide to a better birth, Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth, and Your best birth I'm half way through cuz I stopped to get the library ones finished! Good to meet another reader! :D

Yeah IRL>no body gets TTC. I hear the gammot of stuff like "it'll happen when you stop trying" yada yada... *sigh Therefore I don't say anything to anyone this go 'round. I recently just got back on here and the TTC boards in order to make connections/friends.

Alright, thanks for your reply! Duty calls. Laundry and dishes that is. Awe nap time. If only I WAS the one napping!
Again, so pleased to meet a reader. Wanna read the same book? Where are you? I'll catch up!! :rofl:

Thia
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby AussieMom » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:09 am

1st birth; Vaginal
2nd birth; Twins, planned c-sec (breach)
3rd birth; VBAC , all natural (no meds, except pitocin to get things moving).
I am planning a 2nd VAC this time around. I called a local birthing center before I was pregnant to ask whether I could go there (I didn't feel safe doing a home birth, but I did like the birthing center philosophy).
They told me that they could not touch a VBAC, due to licensing issues that the state laws had implemented. So a birth center was out.
I found an OB who was pro VBACs, and I'm hoping there won't be any issues.
I think the issue of whether you can safely have a VBAC after multiple c-sections would be something that you should talk to your previous OB about.
The one who performed your c-sec.

He/she would know what shape your internal scar is in, and whether it was looking 'thinned' or weakened last time he operated.
I have a friend who has had 6 c-sec, all performed by the same OB, and each time she was able to assess whether or not my friend would be able to have another operation without too much risk.
Uterine rupture is obviously the issue, and if it all looks healthy and strong, you should be ok.

I would be avoiding pitocin induction if possible, and opting for a natural medication free VBAC, with constant fetal monitoring, that way if there is a rupture, you will feel it and it won;t be masked by an epidural.
This was my plan with my VBAC, and I managed to do it all, except I was induced, which made the contractions much harder.

Goodluck with your research!
Emily, 30
DD: (9)
Twins: Boy/Girl (7)
DS: (5)
DS: (1)
Expecting Baby Boy, June 27 2014!

AussieMom
Angel
Angel

Postby klbrown79 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:33 pm

I have had two other sections and for my third since I had my last daughter 12 months ago I don't get a choice. Drs said I must have the section due to risks, they told me I could go get more opinions from other drs. I found a midwife that said she would let me vbac. But after contemplating risks and seeing how serious my drs were I decided for the section. My first recovery was okay, my second was easy peasy. I have two scars and will have a third. But you can ask just to have one. They cut out your other two scars and sew it back up so you have one. I think you can ask to have that. I don"t care about the scars since no one sees them.
klbrown79
Angel
Angel

Postby dizzymariposa2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:43 am

Thia- what kind of incisions did you have? How were you stitched up? Any complications? Pull your medical records snd see what they have to say- a lot of times there is more than you think you know.

I only know of midwives (hospital, homebirth, and otherwise) who will attend a VBAC birth *ONLY* if it is a LOW TRANSVERSE INCISION, or "bikini cut". Any other type, they risk you out.

I would personally not be comfortable VBACing with any other type of incision, because the low transverse has less of a risk of rupturing than say a vertical classic incision. Here is a website with a photo of various incisions..
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio ... an+section
Me (24) DP (25)
Gay mama to DD1 '07 DD2 '09 and DD3 '12
TTC (DP!) 2 '15
dizzymariposa2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rachelrhin0 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:31 pm

I have had 3 sections with 2 different scars on my uterus. All 3 sections were a transverse cut. My hospital's policy is after 2 scetions no VBAC is encouraged. Of course they will do as you wish but it's not encouraged. In my case I have VERY high risk pregnancies and it's better for me to have sections. I have never labored. I also have a bicournate uterus and all of my babies have been transverse breech so not sure I could ever VBAC even if I wanted to.

Main concern (especially with more than one uetrine scar) is uterine rupture which can be fatal for both mom and baby.
Rachel (30) Wife to Ryan (34)
Carly (11/15/07-3/9/08 ) Hannah (stillborn 32 weeks 11/7/08 ) Noah (35 weeks 6/30/10)
Due in Fall 2012 Facebook Group

Follow me on YouTube!
rachelrhin0
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Thia » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Thank you ladies for all your help and information. I'm actually going to request the operative report from the hospital. I know the doctor disclosed how he feels about me even getting PG but I'd like to see what is actually written in his report. Such an emotional issue. :roll:

Thia
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Labor & Delivery