Scared I'll chicken out of vbac

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Scared I'll chicken out of vbac

Postby alsoknownas0 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi ladies. My dd was born via c-section at 33w6d because I had severe pre-e and HELLP syndrome. No issues with the c-section or recovery.

I don't have any regrets about the c-section - I know it was in my best interest and my dd's. I don't really feel like I got cheated out of a birth experience or anything.

That said, I'd love to not have a c-section recovery this time around. I'm open to doing a vbac if I go into labor on my own before about 39 weeks. (not willing to go quite to 40 weeks because then the risk of getting sick again outweighs the benefit to the baby).

My biggest hesitation about a vbac at this point is this: I'm worried that when it's time to push, I'll be so scared of uterine rupture, that I won't push hard enough and will end up with a c-section anyway. Is that just crazy out do any of you have that fear? Is there any research to suggest that it doesn't work that way? Thanks!
Last edited by alsoknownas0 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Me-31, DH-33

DD conceived on Metformin, Femara, Menopur with trigger 11/08

Missed miscarriages: 6/07, 3/08, 4/11

Restarted Metformin for PCOS 6/11
Dx with PAI-1 clotting disorder 6/11
BFP 8/11 with Menopur + Femara - started heparin
6w5d :hb: 134
9w0d :hb: 188
12w5d :hb: 160s
16w55 :hb: 137 and it's a BOY

My Ovulation Chart
alsoknownas0
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby alsoknownas0 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Sorry about the typos. Can't correct from my phone. :(
Me-31, DH-33

My Ovulation Chart
alsoknownas0
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AussieMom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:05 pm

My history:
Vaginal delivery, Epidural
C-sec (twins)
VBAC, natural, drug free

I had a VBAC after my C-sec, and I decided to try 'drug free', and believe me, when it came to the 'pushing' stage, with no drugs, my body did an amazing thing... I had heard about the 'urge to push' but didn't experience it with my first baby (vaginal, epidural) because of the epidural. I was pushing only because the Dr told me to.

With the VBAC, they kept asking me "Do you feel an urge to push" and I kept saying "no!! STOP asking me!".... then all of a sudden there was a bear like noise that escaped from my mouth that I can only describe, as my body was pushing, and I was not the one doing it!

The air/ noise that kept coming out of my lungs/ mouth was like that of an animal, and I could not have stopped it from bearing down and pushing if you'd told me too. Seriously, looking back it was an incredibly primal thing, that just happened, and I my brain was a passenger along for the ride!

I always thought you'd have this mental thought "of I feel like pushing" but my whole body was just doing it of it's own accord.
Those moments were incredibly intense, but I can tell you that I was not thinking about my C-sec scar at that point... I was so far into my own world of concentration that it was not an issue. Even when the baby was crowning there is no turning back from the pain, you know that you have to push through no matter what, and it happens...

So, I can't say if I would have been less committed to 'pushing' if I'd had an epidural and was in a different place physically, but if you go 'natural' you won't be worried about the scar rupturing when you are pushing!!! Your body's natural urges will take over.
Emily, 30
DD: (9)
Twins: Boy/Girl (7)
DS: (5)
DS: (1)
Expecting Baby Boy, June 27 2014!

AussieMom
Angel
Angel

Postby alsoknownas0 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:39 pm

That's something I hadn't thought of. Thank you!
Me-31, DH-33

My Ovulation Chart
alsoknownas0
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AngelaW85 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:44 pm

I don't have research, just my personal experience- 2 drug free VBACs. When it came time to push, it was instinct. Both times it felt like a freight train coming down the tracks. There was no stopping or controlling it. To me, pushing was the best part of giving birth. With DS2 I pushed for just under 30 mins and with DS3 it was around 10 mins. (thanks to all the raspberry leaf tea I drank :D). My experiences were similar to the PP's. When my body was ready to push I heard this sound that came out of my mouth... I remember with DS3 the nurse said "oh yeah, I think someone is pushing!". Both times I had just let my body take over bc I knew that it knew what it was doing. I didn't hold back at all. And I couldn't hold back if I wanted too. Uterine rupture does happen. But it is rare. Women forget that cesareans have more risks bc they are major abdominal surgery. To me, uterine rupture wasn't even a concern. Yes, I was aware of it but in my mind and my common sense, I knew that a cesarean was much more risky (infection, hemorrhage, injury to organs, my baby getting nicked etc.). Anyway, whatever you decide- I hope you have a smooth delivery! GL!
Me, Angela- 28 :kiss: DH, Sean- 32
DS1 '05, DS2 '07, DS3 '10- My 2nd VBAC! :hb:

Our little girl is here! Baby Laila was born 7/17/13 via cesarean, after 36 hours unmedicated labor!
She was 7lbs 14oz and 19in long! :hb:

AngelaW85
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Laureenjellybean » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:19 pm

I had a VBAC with my second child and am VERY glad that I did. The recovery was significantly easier.
As far as uterine rupture goes, as others have said, in the moment, you don't really think about. I DID have an epidural, but still didn't think about it. YOu have to go in with confidence that you WILL be able to do it.
When I had my C-section, they told me that I would be able to attempt a VBAC with the way they were cutting me. I laughed and said I would NOT attempt a VBAC. I had a complete placenta previa with my son (minimal risk factors for having it in the first place) I figured, the odds of a complete previa and uterine rupture are pretty similar, maybe I should NOT even attempt a VBAC, since i seem to have bad luck.
When it came down to it, I decided (along with my OB's) that a VBAC was something I wanted to try. I was scared of rupture too, but honestly, having had a section, you could technically rupture at ANY point, not just during labor.
In preparation for my VBAC, I took red raspberry leaf tea, had good chiropractic care etc. Not sure if any of those made a difference. Going into labor naturally is the LEAST risky. If you're not getting too large, I'd say go for it if you go into labor prior to 40 weeks. As you mentioned, you can reassess if you go post dates.
Good luck with your decision. I hope you get your VBAC!!
Me: Laureen (30)
DH: Kenny (30)
Ds:Carter (2) (born Feb. 23, 2009)
DD: Calliana (born Oct 3,2010)
:angel: Feb 08' Baby Angelo-left us to Triploidy
:angel: :angel:-Nov 09' twin blighted ovum
:angel: July 11' early m/c
Laureenjellybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby alsoknownas0 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks so much, everyone!
Me-31, DH-33

My Ovulation Chart
alsoknownas0
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Melatonin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:52 am

I"ve had 2 previous c-sections and going for a VBAC... Or at least I hope it'll be a VBAC.

I'm scared too! But there is a part of me that wants my body to have a chance at labor. That is what drives me. Not to mention the piles of research I've done showing risks of another repeat c-section compared to a VBAC. I've also been reading books, and speaking with doulas (hoping to find one) as well as I've gone to an ICAN meeting. Speaking with these knowledgeable ladies has given me faith in myself that my body does know what to do. I just need to let it happen.

Not to mention I see stories like what the ladies have listed above and it does help reassure me that I'm doing the right thing.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Let your body do the talking!! Now I just need to repeat that in my head a few times too 8)
Melatonin

Postby sundaymoon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:28 pm

nak

i just had a vbac in november after having a c-section in august 2009 b/c my son was breech. i was comfortable with the risks of vbac-ing and felt that the benefits far outweighed them. when it came time to push all i was thinking was "get this kid out!" i was closely monitored and i knew if something were to go wrong i was minutes from the operating room and could get rushed in if necessary. honestly, when pushing you aren't really even thinking. you are hyperfocused on birthing your child and instinct pretty much just takes over. my vbac was amazing and i wish i could relive it over and over. good luck!
me: Laura
DH: David
DS1: Mason - August 5, 2009
DS2: Gavin - November 27, 2011 (my VBAC baby!)
sundaymoon
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Thia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:22 am

Melatonin wrote:I"ve had 2 previous c-sections and going for a VBAC... Or at least I hope it'll be a VBAC.

I'm scared too! But there is a part of me that wants my body to have a chance at labor. That is what drives me. Not to mention the piles of research I've done showing risks of another repeat c-section compared to a VBAC. I've also been reading books, and speaking with doulas (hoping to find one) as well as I've gone to an ICAN meeting. Speaking with these knowledgeable ladies has given me faith in myself that my body does know what to do. I just need to let it happen.

Not to mention I see stories like what the ladies have listed above and it does help reassure me that I'm doing the right thing.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Let your body do the talking!! Now I just need to repeat that in my head a few times too 8)

Wow! I felt as tho that was MY POST! LOL ^^^That sounds just like me. Books, doulas, ICAN. Freaky~like we're living the same life. :wink:

I too love reading the stories of successuful and NONsuccessful VBACs. So much to gain from women who have already felt "the ring of FIRE!" :evil:

Hoping for a natural VBA3C, Thia
ME~38 DH~46 *Endometriosis **DS1 '97, DS2 '99! both no meds
**M/C 05/08 ~BFP 10/28/08~M/C 11/7/08
BFP 4/14/09 11dpo = Baby Boy Born 12/09 **another m/c 08/11
Now on to charting another Pregnancy!
BFP 3/10/12! BETAS>12DPO=184; 14DPO=495; 18DPO=3414

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/203aa6
Thia
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Labor & Delivery