C-Section Birth Plan

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

C-Section Birth Plan

Postby ack80 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:52 am

Unfortunately, baby #2 is breech and he's too big to turn at this point. So, my VBAC birth is no longer possible and I am scheduled for a repeat c-section this Friday.

Here's my C-Section Birth Plan. Did I cover everything?

C-Section Birth Plan

Pre-op:

*I would like to have the position of my baby checked via ultrasound before any pre-operative procedures are carried out. If my baby is no longer breech, I wish to consult with my doctor about being discharged and given time to go into labor on my own.
*I would like my husband to accompany me for all pre-operative procedures, including the administering of the spinal block.
*I would like my catheter to be inserted after the spinal block has taken effect.

Surgery:

*I would like my husband to accompany me during the surgery.
*I do not want my arms to be strapped down unless I am physically unable to control them.
*In the event that I need general anestesthia, I would like my husband to remain in the operating room.
*I would like to delay the clamping of the umbilical cord until it stops pulsating.
*I would like the baby placed on my chest immediately after birth for skin-to-skin contact.
*I would like to breastfeed the baby immediately after birth, in the OR if possible.
*I would like the baby to remain with me while in the OR and in recovery. If the baby must be removed from the OR or recovery room for medical reasons, I would like my husband to accompany him.
*I would like the chance to bond/have skin-to-skin contact before the baby is bathed or fully-dressed.

Recovery:

*I would like my husband and the baby to remain with me in the recovery room.
*I would appreciate minimal interruptions while I am in recovery, to give my husband and I a chance to bond with the baby.

Hospital Stay:

*I would like no medications administered or tests performed on myself or my baby without first consulting with and obtaining consent from myself or my husband.
*I would like my baby to remain with me at all times. If the baby must be removed from my care for any reason, I would like my husband to accompany him if I am unable.
*I do not want my baby given water, formula or a pacifier. My baby will be exclusively breastfed.
*I want to get up and walk as soon as I am able.
*I would like an elevated toilet seat in my bathroom due to my height.
*I would like to be discharged on Sunday, April 1st, 2012 if my baby and I are medically cleared to do so.
Me: Alicia, 31
DH: Gabe, 36
DS: Charlie, 8/14/07
DS2: EDD 4/3/12

TTC #2 since 1/1/10
Cycle 19, Clomid CD 5-9, BFP @ 10DPO

ack80
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AussieMom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:35 am

I like the one about putting the catheter in after the spinal block... I made the mistake of not doing this and it was terrible. By the time they were putting in my spinal block I was vomiting from the horrible pain of the catheter (which the nurse said would be painless.... yeah right!).
So if I ever have to have a c-sec again I will be putting this in the plan!
Emily, 30
DD: (9)
Twins: Boy/Girl (7)
DS: (5)
DS: (1)
Expecting Baby Boy, June 27 2014!

AussieMom
Angel
Angel

Postby Canjer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Sounds great!

Are you interested in DH having skin to skin IF he has to go with the baby for some reason?

That was in our birthplan for DD1

Good luck :)
Mama to 2 and cheering on my "MM mommies"
Canjer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby zohbeeeee » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:34 pm

A few things I would add though not sure you would want this

1. I would like a mirror to be made
Available so I can watch baby being born.
2. After baby is removed and before cord is cut I would like the baby to be held up so my husband can take a picture.
3. Some doctors will not do this one but mine did for my daughters birth. After baby is removed I would like the screen lowered so that I can see my baby before he/she is cleaned up.

I did the above with my last baby's birth and it made the experience a truley fantastic birth.
zohbeeeee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby maybeaboynow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:05 am

I love your plan!!! all the best!
Me (38) :hb: DH (39)
:babyg: 2003
:babyg: 2008
:babyg: 2012
:babyb: born March 30th 2015
maybeaboynow
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby maybeaboynow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:07 am

zohbeeeee wrote:A few things I would add though not sure you would want this

1. I would like a mirror to be made
Available so I can watch baby being born.
2. After baby is removed and before cord is cut I would like the baby to be held up so my husband can take a picture.
3. Some doctors will not do this one but mine did for my daughters birth. After baby is removed I would like the screen lowered so that I can see my baby before he/she is cleaned up.

I did the above with my last baby's birth and it made the experience a truley fantastic birth.

Me (38) :hb: DH (39)
:babyg: 2003
:babyg: 2008
:babyg: 2012
:babyb: born March 30th 2015
maybeaboynow
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: C-Section Birth Plan

Postby JenniHavingFaith » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 am

I am so relieved to read this birth plan. I am having a planned c-section in October due to my autoimmune arthritis. I was fine with it until a couple of days ago. Suddenly I was getting panicky and feeling terrified by the whole thing, especially the arms strapped down part.

I'm going to have to have a very specific talk with the drs at my practice b/c my birth plan is going to be similar to ack80's.

I had already asked about the waiting to cut the cord until it stops pulsing and they said they don't do that. Well, there's a first time for everything. Thankfully I'm only 27 weeks today so I have time to push my 'gentle c-section' and get them to comply with my wishes.
JenniHavingFaith

Return to Labor & Delivery