C-section date already! I have questions.

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

C-section date already! I have questions.

Postby Answered_Prayers » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:21 pm

The nurse from my OB office called today, and scheduled my c-section date for January 2nd. I said why are you scheduling a c-section date when I talked to OB about doing VBAC and she said it was okay? She said it is for backup in case. First problem, my due date is on January 3rd not 2nd! I told her that, she said it is not sketched in stone, the date. I really don't understand the reasoning for this, and will be asking my doc next appt! Second, usually docs based due date of off 28 day cycle from last period. But my cycles are 31 days, so actually my real due date is January 6th. I don't know why I can't go up to 42 weeks and then schedule or at least go pass my due date!

Does anyone have a clue why? I have a some reasons and they aren't good, one being they want to get more money!!!!!!!!
Married for 9 years to my DH
DD-5 yrs.
DD2- Newborn born 12/24/12

1 Samuel 1:27
I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.

Answered_Prayers
Star Member
Star Member

Postby maybeaboynow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:59 am

It is definitely done just to be on the safe side.

I had a C-section first, due to being in labour for 36 long hours without any painkiller, than baby decided to turn :( so C-section just saved our lives,

second time, when I was after a C-section, of course they were perpared for another C-section , but for a VBAC as well, I had a scheduled date just around my due date, of course.

they are afraid that the scar may tear.....it is dangerous. If you happen to be in labour for longer than expected (like for over 6-8 hours) the scar may "give up" during the contractions. I was told that it is always somewhat risky to have a VBAC, though

anyway, two weeks before my due date I had a "caul rupture" so I ended up with a C-section two weeks after my fluid started to leak with no amniotic fulid at all at the end when they finally cut me.

I hated it, as I wanted to have a VBAC, but thats life.

as you see, there is always a meaning while they are extra cautious, It is a huge responsibility from the doctor's side to allow a VBAC, but of course: they are just as happy to go ahead with it if there isnt any problem! and I hope you can do as you wish!

I hope you will find the answer you are looking for....... and enjoy your pregnancy!
Me (38) :hb: DH (39)
:babyg: 2003
:babyg: 2008
:babyg: 2012
:babyb: born March 30th 2015
maybeaboynow
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby VAmommy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:10 pm

I am not sure why they would schedule it so far in advance. I would definitely talk to your dr. about it at the next appt. and at least ask if they need something on the calendar than move it back until you are 41 or 42 wks since due dates are estimations. I planned a VBAC with DD and ended up not dialating at all so at my 39 wk appt we scheduled the csect. for 41 wks.
Me-30
Dh-32

VAmommy
Star Member
Star Member

Postby 2babylami » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Studies have found that it is safer to perform a c-section at 39-41 weeks rather than 42. You already have a scar, and the more distended the uterus gets the greater possibility for a separation, rupture or other complications. Also most hospitals have to schedule in advance by a few months to ensure a spot in the OR, I wouldn't be too concerned about it honestly. If your doctor was scheduling at say 37 week then I would but you will be 40 weeks which is fine for the baby. I am having my second at 39 weeks 2 days and they told me I could wait a week if I wanted but I could not go over 41 weeks.
Happily Married Stay at Home Mommy!
DS- 19 Months
Baby#2- EDD 8/5/12-IT'S A GIRL!!

2babylami
Star Member
Star Member

Re: C-section date already! I have questions.

Postby Canjer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:28 am

My doctor says they let you go past 40 weeks if you are planning a VBAC, it's the ideal situation because they really don't want to and are limited to ways to induce you safely.

I think that they schedule it so that when you get to 39 weeks, you will opt for the c-section route and not continue on to the VBAC- I think it's pressure, even if your DR will perform VBACS :roll:

I know 39 weeks is pretty standard for a scheduled section because that is when the lungs are fully developed.
Mama to 2 and cheering on my "MM mommies"
Canjer
Star Member
Star Member

Re: C-section date already! I have questions.

Postby kindofagirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:30 am

In the uk planned sections are done anytime from 37 weeks as they don't want you to go to term in case u go into labour which they don't want xx
kindofagirl
Angel
Angel

Return to Labor & Delivery