Childbirth Classes? HypnoBirthing?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Childbirth Classes? HypnoBirthing?

Postby ptcruzer80 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 am

Okay so this is my first and I'd like to avoid a c-section if at all possible. The idea of an epidural creeps me out but I'm not opposed to pain relief. This is my first baby and I really don't know what to expect, so I'm planing to take a childbirth class.

My OB's office is great in that they have tons of classes to choose from but then again, which one will be best for me?

Here's my options, let me know if you have any ideas, suggestions, comments as they'll all be appreciated!

HypnoBirthing - The Mongan Method ~ By marrying philosophy and technique, HypnoBirthing® – The Mongan Method teaches women how to reduce severe pain that is often accompanied by labor. The method centers on making fear and tension absent during the labor process to reduce pain.

Your Birth, Your Way ~ As an expectant parent, you have a right to say what kind of birth you would like to have, and this class is designed to help you understand your choices and to help design a personal birthing plan to have your birth, your way. This class pays special attention to using your voice and exercising your choices, as well as communicating with your health care provider. Prenatal exercise training and optimal prenatal nutrition will also be covered.

Labor and Delivery: The Basics ~ Whether you’re delivering your first child or your fifth, this class can help you prepare to meet the challenges once arriving into labor and delivery. Expectant parents will learn the value of working as a team during the childbirth process. This is a shortened version of our popular Your Birth, Your Way! class, which is a more thorough and detailed prenatal class.

My problem is that each class sounds great and I can't decide!!!
Me (Paula) 31 DH 35
TTC#1 since 2007
IVF#1 3/12 BFP 6dp5dt
3/15 Beta #1 162 9dp5dt
3/19 Beta #2 943 13dp5dt
4/3 U/S 1 heart beat at 6 weeks 5 days
4/23 Found a large SCH during u/s
5/10 SCH even bigger in u/s
5/30 SCH is gone at 14w/6d
6/9 We're having a baby BOY!!!
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
ptcruzer80
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Lola26 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Paula- we are Nov. Buddies so I don't know the answer as this is also my first baby. But I can tell you what my plans are:

1. Labor and delivery class at the end of the second trimester (September)

2. Breastfeeding class covering the basics and some problem solving techniques. I will take this one closer to my due date probably early in October.

3. I would love to take Hypno-Birthing class as well, but in my area they quite expensive even for a group class, so I will simply buy a book. They are 200 U.S for group and 400.00 U.S for private .. a bit out of my price range ! But I have heard very good thing about it !!

Can you take all/most of those classes ? If I could .. I would !

Let is know what you end up doing !
:D
Lola26

Postby kristiev » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:14 am

i did hypnobirthing with my son and cant recommend it highly enough. at the time the UK government gave each mother-to-be a grant for one class and that is the one we chose. however, i think you can virtually get all the info you need from a book. the basic concept is to remind women that labour is totally natural and not necessarily a painful nightmare. and for me it really was a natural, beautiful event (hard work, but not calling for screaming attacks and losing control). the most important thing is getting a CD with meditation music to which you practice relaxation. i got so used to this i slept through the entire first stage of my labour, only going into hospital at 7 cm dilated! so, i would say get the book, get the music (shouldnt cost too much) and see how far those two get you. all the best!
Me - 36 (Kristie) DH - 37 (Will)
DS, born August 2009.
Expecting twinnies in Nov 2012!

kristiev
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ptcruzer80 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:51 am

Thank you November ladies, Kristie and Lola!

Totally forgot about this post, preggo brain. :lol:

My friend lent me her Hypnobirthing Book/CDs so I need to start listening to them. I think I'm going to do the Your Birth/Your Way class since my midwife suggested it to me and practice the relaxation/meditation using Hypnobirthing CDs. It's basically a Bradley class taught by one of the practice's doulas. Then I'm also going to take their breast feeding class.

Kristie, thank you for sharing your Hypnobirthing experience. My goal is to stay at home as long as possible before going to the hospital, as it seems to really lower one's chances of having unnecessary interventions.

I'll probably follow your plan Lola, take the Bradley class when it's offered in September and then the BFing class closer to birth.

Also, I picked up "The Happiest Baby on the Block" book which has awesome information about the "fourth trimester" basically the first 3 months of infant care. My practice has a Happy Baby class too so we'll see how we do on our own first :-)

Thank you again!
Me (Paula) 31 DH 35
TTC#1 since 2007
IVF#1 3/12 BFP 6dp5dt
3/15 Beta #1 162 9dp5dt
3/19 Beta #2 943 13dp5dt
4/3 U/S 1 heart beat at 6 weeks 5 days
4/23 Found a large SCH during u/s
5/10 SCH even bigger in u/s
5/30 SCH is gone at 14w/6d
6/9 We're having a baby BOY!!!
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker