Wavering on VBAC?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Wavering on VBAC?

Postby Answered_Prayers » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:54 am

I am kindof scared to go for VBAC. My doctor makes patients sign a consent form for VBAC and it has a list of risk on it.
I have a backup scheduled c-section date of January 2nd. However, I am scared of going for VBAC too.

Anyone else feel the way I do?
Married for 9 years to my DH
DD-5 yrs.
DD2- Newborn born 12/24/12

1 Samuel 1:27
I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.

Answered_Prayers
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Lala » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 pm

I thought about VBAC with my 2nd child but for some reason my OB didn't encourage it. I am so glad I didn't follow through with it. Turns out my uterus was attached to my abdominal wall and who knows how that might have turned out.

It's a risk just like anything else and it all depends on the risk you want to take, I guess. I say, go with your gut feeling, it is usually right.

C-section the second time around is much easier. I am happy with my decision not to attempt a VBAC.
Laura mommy to:
:hb: Rayce 1.8.07
:hb: Rayna 4.13.09
:hb: Seth always in my thoughts

"like" me on facebook for sales & giveaways!
https://www.facebook.com/LalasLovelyBowtique
http://www.etsy.com/shop/LalasLovelyBowtique
Lala
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Answered_Prayers » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Yikes, Lala how did they find that out? I am going to pray on it, and leave it up to God. Either way there are risks. I didn't like having surgery and I would like to avoid it.
DD-5 yrs.

Answered_Prayers
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Cayman4 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 am

I'm worried about it too, but there are more risks with another c-section than a VBAC from what I've read. I'm waiting to go into labor now and if I don't I have a scheduled section on 8/31. My OB doesn't let you go past your due date for a VBAC so that's the day I picked.

He did tell me that if I dilate then he will do what he can to get things going for me since he won't induce. He will strip my membranes and even break my water. But as on this past Monday I have not progressed past a fingertip dilated.

I'm looking at it like what's meant to be will be.
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby Answered_Prayers » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 am

Cayman- I wish you much success on having your VBAC. I hope you are able to get it. My doc is the same way, doc will not let me go pass my due date which is January 3rd. My doctor also will not induce me either. My scheduled c-section is January 2nd.

Like you said what is meant to be will be. I will be looking for your birthstory in the August DDC. God Bless :D
DD-5 yrs.

Answered_Prayers
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Cayman4 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:22 am

Thank you. I hope you have success as well with your VBAC. I've been walking and bouncing on an exercise ball every night to try and get her to move down. At least if she doesn't come on her own I'll know I did what I could.

I didn't like my c-section experience at all so I'm hoping to avoid surgery. It's so rough to recover from.
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby aerb » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Answered_Prayers, I am totally w/ you on the wavering now that it's looking me in the face! I had a very easy c-section w/ my DD. It was a scheduled c-section due to breech, and I had a super easy recovery. I was taking Vicodin only at night by the time I left the hospital, and I was off ibuprofen even by like 8 days PP. I even stood up in a wedding at 10 day pp and was out on the dance floor w/ baby in my arms (in between nursing her in the bride's dressing room every 45 minutes, LOL). Yet I still felt I was "cheated" of the birthing process. When we moved out of state when I was 5 months PP, I made sure to "interview" my new OB re: her position on VBACs, even though I wasn't close to TTC-ing again. She says she's fine w/ it, as long as all looks healthy and that I should be a good candidate given I was only a c-section due to breech. However, now I'm successfully pg and due 1/8/13 and am TOTALLY wavering. The convenience of the planned c-section is alluring with a toddler at home, and I feel like I know what to expect from the recovery. I am most scared of laboring, being miserable and in pain for 30 hours and then having an unplanned/ emergent c-section, which I've consistently heard are tougher recoveries than scheduled c-sections. But I am all too aware of the many benefits of vaginal birthing for both mom and baby. I have a close friend who's had a very successful VBAC and another who's didn't go nearly as well. Agh, I just can't make up my mind! Luckily, my OB hasn't asked yet, but I imagine she will fairly soon, now that I'm past the halfway point. Glad to know I'm not the only one wavering on it, after having been hard-core committed until it was actually (kind of) upon me...
Allison-- 33, DH--33
DD Miriam Aislinn born 9/8/10.
4 angel babies :angel::angel::angel::angel:
BFP 5/1/12
aerb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby zohbeeeee » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 am

I don't understand why your doctor will not let you go past your due date. It sounds like they are not VBAC friendly because the odds are not in your favor
For going into labor early. I attempted a VBAC with my last pregnancy. I had a very supportive doctor that was
Comfortable letting me wait two weeks past my due date. He never presurred me or anything about a RCS. I ended up not going into labor or even dialating by 42 weeks and my baby was suspected to be over 10lbs. (she was 10lbs 2oz). So I opted for the RCS.

I will say even though it did not work out I was very glad I attempted the VBAC. I had done a lot of research and new the risks were Extremely minimal. I also felt like I was in charge of my birth and even though I didn't get the VBAC I was able to make a cs birth plan that involved me more in the birth. It was a wonderful experience.

I am now 21 weeks pregnant again and Looking forward to my RCS.
zohbeeeee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lala » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:57 am

I am the same as zohbe, I have never been able to dialate.

Also, she is right a scheduled RCS is a better experience. I was able to nurse as soon as they put me back together and get some skin to skin.

The worst part is trying to poop after. :oops:
Laura mommy to:
:hb: Rayce 1.8.07
:hb: Rayna 4.13.09
:hb: Seth always in my thoughts

"like" me on facebook for sales & giveaways!
https://www.facebook.com/LalasLovelyBowtique
http://www.etsy.com/shop/LalasLovelyBowtique
Lala
Star Member
Star Member

Re:

Postby Canjer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:22 am

aerb wrote:Answered_Prayers, I am totally w/ you on the wavering now that it's looking me in the face! I had a very easy c-section w/ my DD. It was a scheduled c-section due to breech, and I had a super easy recovery. I was taking Vicodin only at night by the time I left the hospital, and I was off ibuprofen even by like 8 days PP. I even stood up in a wedding at 10 day pp and was out on the dance floor w/ baby in my arms (in between nursing her in the bride's dressing room every 45 minutes, LOL). Yet I still felt I was "cheated" of the birthing process. When we moved out of state when I was 5 months PP, I made sure to "interview" my new OB re: her position on VBACs, even though I wasn't close to TTC-ing again. She says she's fine w/ it, as long as all looks healthy and that I should be a good candidate given I was only a c-section due to breech. However, now I'm successfully pg and due 1/8/13 and am TOTALLY wavering. The convenience of the planned c-section is alluring with a toddler at home, and I feel like I know what to expect from the recovery. I am most scared of laboring, being miserable and in pain for 30 hours and then having an unplanned/ emergent c-section, which I've consistently heard are tougher recoveries than scheduled c-sections. But I am all too aware of the many benefits of vaginal birthing for both mom and baby. I have a close friend who's had a very successful VBAC and another who's didn't go nearly as well. Agh, I just can't make up my mind! Luckily, my OB hasn't asked yet, but I imagine she will fairly soon, now that I'm past the halfway point. Glad to know I'm not the only one wavering on it, after having been hard-core committed until it was actually (kind of) upon me...

AERB, where are you standing now? still waivering?
When I was TTCing number 2 I was all about the RCS, but when I got my BFP I had an entire change of heart and want a VBAC. I just met with my OBGYN and I knew he was pro-VBAC but we talked about how I am only going to be 15 months out of my last baby and now I'm waivering a bit....They encourage you to go over your due date which is great (I'm just pointing it out because it sounds like a lot of DR.s won't let you?) He wants you to go into labour yourself. But he said they monitor labour super closely and something that is common and usually not concerning like a drop in babies heart rate would cause an emergency c-section; they don't sit on it and monitor it further, they just prep and go. SOunds kinda discouraging to me- especially with that specific example since I know that a drop in heart rate is pretty common and not usually a HUGE deal especially when they wait to see it recover.
I really don't want to labour and then have them just wheel me in for a sugery over the smalllllllllest thing because I know recovery will SUCK and I will have a 15 month old at home.

You and I are in the same DDC so I'm curious if you've progressed in your decision yet. My OBGYN is giving me until 4 weeks time to come up with a plan, but really I will take as long as I want :)
Mama to 2 and cheering on my "MM mommies"
Canjer
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Wavering on VBAC?

Postby myviolet » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:46 am

I wasn't considering or interested in a vbac until yesterday. When I had my CS I was told I would have to have a RCS if I delivered in this county. Now I have new insurance and a new OB and she was very open to me having a VBAC (though I'll have to deliver at a hospital further away). She said because I already had 3 vaginal births before my CS I'm a good candidate, proven pelvis blah, blah, blah. So I guess I'm going to go for it. I don't know if I would if I hadn't done it before though, you know? However if your doctor thinks you can do it and you really want it then give it a shot. Good luck!
myviolet
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Answered_Prayers » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:20 am

Canjer- I have signed the consent form for a VBAC explaining all the risks. So I will be going for it. I pray to God that I will deliver sometime between 37-38 weeks; hopefully before Christmas, but if it is after, but still in the month of December I am okay with that too.

I have until January 1st to go into labour on my own. If I do not, I am scheduled for a c-section on January 2nd at 7:30 a.m. So I am hoping I get my VBAC and everything goes smoothly.
DD-5 yrs.

Answered_Prayers
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Canjer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 am

Great update! I hope you progress early :)

As for me-
We are trying for a VBAC however, pretty much same as you- I am scheduled for a RCS on or immediately after my DD.
I chose this route as I do not want to risk a larger baby being delivered which may increase my risks and I am not open to any sort of induction method, either horomonal/chemical or physically.

I don't have the date for the RCS because I'm not ready to know the possible birthday yet ;) but it has been scheduled. I also hope that my baby wants to come out around 39+ weeks so I can have my hand at the VBAC :)

good luck!
Mama to 2 and cheering on my "MM mommies"
Canjer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby red_head » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:02 pm

I had a wonderful VBA2C with our last son. My water broke 3 days before my due date and he arrived 2 days before. It can happen! My OB had given me until 42 weeks though, so I didn't have quite the same amount of pressure as you do. Hope it happens for you! It's awesome!!
Amy & Matt
Sam (5) Judah (4) Eden (our Ugandan beauty....3) Canaan (1) Pregnant with a baby GIRL!!!

red_head
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Labor & Delivery