Trying fora home birth... anyone have any advice?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Trying fora home birth... anyone have any advice?

Postby KT5618 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:38 pm

So after much talk with our midwives we've decided to try for a home birth with the option to move to hospital for pain relief/any red flags. Looking for advice from anyone who's already had a home birth.

We're already registered with the hospital just in case and we'll have a go bag and stuff ready to go just in case... we're less than five minutes from the hospital. I've very excited about this and the potential of having our lil baby girl at home!
-Kathryn
Me: 31
DW: 33
DD: 2.5

Pregnant via IUI and sperm donation

KT5618
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Trying fora home birth... anyone have any advice?

Postby MASHINKA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:47 pm

I wish I could do that! But I live in an appartment, theres just no space, and plus I dont have the kind of insurance that would cover that :( . But I think its soo wonderful when you can have a home birth!!!
MASHINKA
Star Member
Star Member

Postby BeccaM » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:54 am

I don't really have a lot of advice, but just to let you know--we are planning a homebirth for this baby (due in March)!! I am so excited. I had a midwife and natural hospital birth last time, but I am really looking forward to the comfort of having the baby in our own home. And then we can have a waterbirth also, which I am hoping will work out. Having the baby in the hospital was okay, but there is so much less privacy, especially post-partum. When all you want to do is rest, they are always taking your blood pressure and sticking needles into you, and they won't let you sleep with your baby--they have to be alone in a bassinet next to your bed :( So we are really excited about planning a homebirth, especially for the post partum birth experience.

And I love my midwife. She comes to my house for appts and will come several times in the weeks following baby's birth to check up on me and baby. How easy is that? :)
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Wrylilt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:29 am

Good luck! I had my second baby in a birthing centre, which was awesome - however with my last one being just 2 hours, I'm thinking it will be less of a rush to have any more at home.

Just make sure your midwife is experienced enough, and I personally am planning to have a doula with me as well for backup.
Advocate of Delayed Cord Clamping.
About to begin Doula & LC course.
Pregnancy Writer and Blogger.
Mummy of two, husband of one.
You may find my articles on 40+ ways to induce labour,
25 signs labour is about to begin, and
how to have a shorter labour relevant.
Wrylilt

Postby Charissa » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:58 pm

I had a homebirth with my daughter (who is now 2 1/2 years old). It was an awesome experience! Assuming I don't have any complications in my current pregnancy, I plan to have another homebirth this time, too. My mom, who was at my daughter's birth, told me later that she envied my experience and said it was so much better than her four hospital births.

Advice? Read lots of homebirth stories! Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is a great book, and the first 1/3 of the book is nothing but birth stories. Also, I highly recommend the documentary The Business of Being Born; I believe it is available streaming on Netflix, as is the recent sequel, More Business of Being Born.
Charissa

Return to Labor & Delivery