VBAC with 2nd baby?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

VBAC with 2nd baby?

Postby PiscesPassion » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 pm

I really want a VBAC with this baby, only problem is none of the hospitals in my county do them. I would have to go to the next county to their hospital for a VBAC which is about 30-40 minutes away. I have no clue on how to even start? Do I stay with my current OB until I'm further along or do I go to another OB that does them as soon as possible?

DH and I were really jipped with our DS. I was induced and after 2 days of no progression, they did a c-section. The epidural never took, so I had to be put under general ansthesia (sp?) DH and I didn't get to see him being born or hear his first cry, so yeah, we were robbed of that experience.

I want to be able to experience a vaginal birth and the whole labor process from beginning to end as this will most likely be our last child unless we get a surprise later on.. LOL!
Jennifer (33) Michael (35)
Michael William born 9-5-08 after 3 years TTC
Kylie Elizabeth due on 6-27-13 after 15 months TTC

ImageImage

PiscesPassion
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: VBAC with 2nd baby?

Postby butterflylr » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:06 am

Jenn! I saw your announcement on FB, that's so exciting! Well, when I was pregnant with Rory, I kind of waffled on the idea of VBAC. I loved my OB (and midwives) and was scared to have to leave them. At the time they were connected with a hospital that banned them. So the only way to get a VBAC was to change doctors. Finally at a later point in my pregnancy I decided I wanted to VBAC. So I met with a doctor at like 30 weeks I think it was and officially switched to the new OB at 36 weeks. I don't think that's how you "normally" do it though. Are all the docs that could do VBAC 30-40 mins away as well? I guess 30 mins isn't too terrible to have to drive for OB appts though. I'd go for it for sure!
ME - Lindsay :29: / DH - James :30: / DS - Michael :05/29/08: / Rory :01/16/10: by VBAC!!

Image Image Image
Image http://different-not-less.blogspot.com/
butterflylr
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommaOreo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:14 pm

i am VBAC hopeful as well. I am seeign an OB 35 mins away because like you, no one around me will do it. I would switch asap if that is your plan because you want to get to know your DRs and trust them. I personally don't mind the drive, i see my ob about 2-3 times a month right now. hopefully it'll settle down though. good luck!
Me- Sam 26 Dh- Caleb 24 DD1- 5 yrs, :angel: 7/9/12, DD2- 2 yrs, DD3- 9 months, Baby#4- Jan 2016
It's a BOY! Baby Levi is due Jan 31, 2016!
MommaOreo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AngelaW85 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:15 am

I had 2 successful VBACs. Like you, with DS1, we were cheated out of our natural birth and wound up with an unnecessary c-section for "failure to progress", aka failure to be PATIENT. Anyway, I wanted to experience a natural childbirth so badly when I got pregnant with DS2. I didn't think I had the VBAC option until I saw that Michelle Duggar had had a VBAC. I figured if her uterus can hold up to contractions, then mine can too. And I was right. It was an empowering experience. I kept saying "I did it! I did it!" after I birthed him. I did it without any drugs or anything and it was FAST (3hrs long with 30mins pushing). And it definitely wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. I had a 3rd VBAC in 2010 and at that point, I knew what to expect and it also went perfectly. My doctor with my 3rd VBAC (that was drug free, too and I only pushed for around 10 mins and was in labor for around 3 hrs) is awesome and so is the hospital I birthed in. I will have the same doctor and birth in the same hospital this time around. Anyway, just surround yourself with positive ppl and read a lot. I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Nancy Wainer Cohen's Open Season. I searched for successful VBAC stories online. By the time I went into labor with DS2, I knew I could do it. I hope you're able to get your VBAC! :D
Me, Angela- 28 :kiss: DH, Sean- 32
DS1 '05, DS2 '07, DS3 '10- My 2nd VBAC! :hb:

Our little girl is here! Baby Laila was born 7/17/13 via cesarean, after 36 hours unmedicated labor!
She was 7lbs 14oz and 19in long! :hb:

AngelaW85
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kaboobie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:15 pm

My oldest DS was a scheduled csection because he was big. At 36 weeks he was estimated at over 10 lb already and he did indeed weigh more than 10lbs when he was born. But the experience was one I knew I never wanted to repeat if possible. I started doing my research the days before my csection. When I found out I was pregnant again I was pumped. I knew I was going to VBAC and then we found out it was twins and I thought my dream of VBACing was gone. I talked to my OB group and at every appointment expressed my desire to VBAC if at all possible. They were absolutely 100% ok with me attempting VBAC as long as I both babies were in a good position, things overall looked good and I was required to have an epidural. At 35 weeks baby A was still transverse and they told me it was unlikely he would turn with so little space left in there. Well... He did. A week before my scheduled csection at 38 weeks he flipped head down and we changed my csection to an induction. They started me very slow on Pitocin and I labored for 17 hours but I got my twin VBAC. I pushed for 10 minutes and baby A was out weighing 7lb 7oz and 14 minutes later transverse baby B came out weighing 6lb 13oz. Everyone was so impressed with their size and since I delivered at a teaching hospital I had a TON of people coming to take a peek while I was delivering because twin VBACs are pretty rare. I felt like Superwoman.

12 1/2 months later I VBAC'd my youngest DS at 39w1d after my membranes ruptured on their own and a 6 hour labor that was CAKE. He was 8lb 1oz. During this pregnancy I had complete placenta previa at 14 weeks that resolved itself, but there was an extra lobe of placenta on the opposite side of the uterus across the cervix that was a worry for them. Then the little stinker flipped breech at 37 weeks. I did everything I could think of to turn him and by 38 weeks he did.

I already asked about VBACing this baby and the group I am being seen at is as excited as I am for it. :)

The number one thing I did was I made it a point to picture my VBAC everyday. I never said "if I get to VBAC..." it was always "when I VBAC..." I think those positive vibes do wonders for gearing up your body. :)
missing our Angel Sophia Ashley 3/3/05 23w5d 1lb 12oz
Adrian Mitchel 11/17/06 c-section 38w3d 10lb 11oz 21in
Steven Andrew & Jameson Thomas 4/24/09 38w1d VBAC 7lb 7oz 19in and 6lb 13oz 18in
Brennan Louis 5/12/10 39w1d VBAC 8lb 1oz 20.5in
Declan Archer 8/5/13 VBAC 7lb 5oz 21in 39w3d
Kaboobie
Angel
Angel

Postby Canjer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 am

/\ amazing story!!
Mama to 2 and cheering on my "MM mommies"
Canjer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Stacette » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:41 am

Kaboobie wrote:My oldest DS was a scheduled csection because he was big. At 36 weeks he was estimated at over 10 lb already and he did indeed weigh more than 10lbs when he was born. But the experience was one I knew I never wanted to repeat if possible. I started doing my research the days before my csection. When I found out I was pregnant again I was pumped. I knew I was going to VBAC and then we found out it was twins and I thought my dream of VBACing was gone. I talked to my OB group and at every appointment expressed my desire to VBAC if at all possible. They were absolutely 100% ok with me attempting VBAC as long as I both babies were in a good position, things overall looked good and I was required to have an epidural. At 35 weeks baby A was still transverse and they told me it was unlikely he would turn with so little space left in there. Well... He did. A week before my scheduled csection at 38 weeks he flipped head down and we changed my csection to an induction. They started me very slow on Pitocin and I labored for 17 hours but I got my twin VBAC. I pushed for 10 minutes and baby A was out weighing 7lb 7oz and 14 minutes later transverse baby B came out weighing 6lb 13oz. Everyone was so impressed with their size and since I delivered at a teaching hospital I had a TON of people coming to take a peek while I was delivering because twin VBACs are pretty rare. I felt like Superwoman.

12 1/2 months later I VBAC'd my youngest DS at 39w1d after my membranes ruptured on their own and a 6 hour labor that was CAKE. He was 8lb 1oz. During this pregnancy I had complete placenta previa at 14 weeks that resolved itself, but there was an extra lobe of placenta on the opposite side of the uterus across the cervix that was a worry for them. Then the little stinker flipped breech at 37 weeks. I did everything I could think of to turn him and by 38 weeks he did.

I already asked about VBACing this baby and the group I am being seen at is as excited as I am for it. :)

The number one thing I did was I made it a point to picture my VBAC everyday. I never said "if I get to VBAC..." it was always "when I VBAC..." I think those positive vibes do wonders for gearing up your body. :)

:hb:

OP, I would start the switch sooner than later if it were me. My hospital is 30 miles away in another county, but it's probably the best natural birthing hospital in Dallas County. Plus they have a level III Neonatal unit, that I pray we never have to utilize. For me, it was worth the drive. Good luck!
Stacy
Emily - 12.19.07
Chloe - 12.20.09
Conley - 7.25.13
Baby #4 - EDD 5.20.16

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Stacette
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mom_of_3 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:34 am

FInd a Midwife in the next county and for sure go for the VBAC I have had 2 and it was the best decision I ever made.. You will have to fight for it but having a midwife is the best choice in my opinion. I did my last one natural and plan to do it again . Read up and get educated.. you can do it!! And yes driving 40 min is for sure worth it!
DD 1/22/07 6.6lbs C-Section
DS 3/12/09 9.5 lbs Medicated VBAC
DD2 4/12/11 9.6lbs Natural VBAC in Hospital with Midwife
EDD 8/7/13 Planning Natural VBAC with midwife.. not sure where yet

ME 28
DH 29

mom_of_3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby stobie1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I want a vbac so bad! I have no insurance and use the Indians for free I'm not sure it's banned but what I heard its not supported! I was robbed in my first labor because I was storied from not being able to get the epi because if scoliosis I had no rest and was awake for around 30 hrs so when I was fully dilated and felt the urge to push I was so tired plus I had no support team my mil and dh held my legs for only a couple pushes then my mil said let's rest and stopped and never got back up to help me I felt so alone I thought if I go into labor on my own and go in they can't turn me away and I'll refuse the csec unless there is danger I had toe put totally under and didn't see dd for 2 1/2 hours!!! I want to experience it so bad!!! We will be TTC #2 after dd turns 3 in febuary! I've looked at some things online about my rights but does anybody else have any advice? Help!
Me: Stormie 29
Dh: Branden 29
DD: Naomi 5 yrs old
TTC #2 for 8 months before BFP EDD MARCH 9th!

C-section scheduled for March 4th!!

stobie1
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby MorePuppies » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 am

Ladies I am inspired by you! I am currently 5w3d with my second. My DS is 13.5 months. I am planning to talk to by OB about a VBAC at our first appointment in a couple weeks. I actually have no idea what his or the hospitals take on VBAC's are.. I really like my OB he delivered my first via C-section. DS was breech. Head and feet straight up, bum down.
Me - 39
DH - 39
DS - 1
MorePuppies

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:43 am

i would definatly go for the vbac if thats what you want. in the uk they encourage them rather than decline them. i was even offered a home birth this time which i may be doing i havnt quite decided. i had a vbac with my 2nd and yes it ended up in a forceps delivery but the labour was fast i was fully dilated in 1.5 hours and she was posterior so she just wasnt comming down quickly, she was also having heart decels so they used the forceps instead of letting me push on my own but it was great, its a totally empowering experience and especially when you dont have time for pain relief but i loved every minute it felt natural to me

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lillizzy85 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:05 am

This has been on my mind since my bfp. I had pre e with dd and had to have an emergency c section and was knocked out! I have a video of meeting my daughter thank god! Because i do not even remember that! I too was robbed of the birth process. I had horrible post pardum because of the whole process! I'm hoping that history doesn't repeat itself and I can bring this child into the world naturally! I plan on asking for a vbac at my first appointment next month.
Me 30 dh 38
DD1 7
DD2 2

Lillizzy85
Star Member
Star Member

Postby PixieB » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:28 am

Here's my VBAC birth story :hb:
http://mamabirth.blogspot.com.au/2011/0 ... ments.html

VBAC is definitely worth striving for. I set myself up that my VBAC was my healing from the trauma of my first birth (under a general, by the paperwork 'elective' because I never went into labour, though who chooses to have their baby at 27+4 if they don't have to? And I didn't get to meet her until she was 14.5 hours old, that was an horrific night)

Retrospectively I shouldn't have wagered so much of my hope and wellbeing on my VBAC. I got my VBAC, and it was everything I hoped it would be, but it wasn't a healthy emotional approach. I had set myself up that my VBAC would reconnect me to my own body (where I'd had to desperately disassociate during T's birth), really I achieved that through my pregnancy.

If you're striving for a VBAC (which is absolutely totally worth it) then work through the emotional mess whilst pregnant. Any fears that rear their ugly heads need to be faced, understood, worked through and practised fighting off so they don't mess you up in your birth. You can't afford to push them aside and not think about them.
I really recommend reading 'Birthing from Within' It's got a lot of good for dealing with your birthing fears.

And to get my VBAC the hospital was a 45minute drive away, + a detour to collect our extra birth partner (very very worth having more than just your DH and your midwife there, means there's always someone there for you and someone free with the camera or getting snacks/drinks/heat packs etc). Very very workable :)
Good luck, and I hope you all have empowering natural VBACs with exactly the support you need.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Labor & Delivery