Planned c section, what to expect?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Planned c section, what to expect?

Postby kindofagirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:22 am

Has anyone had a planned c section before?

My first birth was very traumatic, my son was distressed he ended up inhaling meconium and ended up with a pneumothorax and was transferred at 14 hours old to a hospital 30 miles away I didn't get to hold him till he was 4 days old, I ended up with a 3rd degree tear. I had horrendous flashbacks for a year and had to see a physiologist for months.

The consultant recommends a c section this time as I might tear worse and it might not heal as well and also for bonding physiological reason

I'm 99% I want a section anyway, OH was traumatised by the whole birth and is worried about this time as am I

I just wondered if anyone ha a planned section and wondered if u could tell me what to expect xx
kindofagirl
Angel
Angel

Re: Planned c section, what to expect?

Postby Stars0245 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I had a scheduled csection with DD2 and it went a lot the same as the previous poster described. I am going to be having another scheduled csection in 2 weeks. We will get to the hospital around 6am. Check in, and be brought right to our room. I will change into a hospital gown. A nurse will be in to ask some admitting type questions. The dr and I think anestesoligist (sorry I can't spell :doh: ) will also come in breifly just to check in with me. Barring any delays (i.e. someone else needing an emergency section right then) my section with be around 8am. I will walk across the hall to the operating room and sit on the table and get my spinal while Dh is back in our room putting on his scrubs. Oh and the operating room is kept very cool. I was surprised by this for some reason. Then they will lay me back and put up the curtain. Dh will come in sometime around then. The dr will pinch at my tummy to make sure I am not feeling any pain. I did feel the pressure and feeling them touch me but it didn't hurt, which was a weird sensation. I had oxygen tubes by my nose and an iv in and a blood pressure cuff on, also a pulse monitor on my finger. I get the shakes and a side effect from the spinal but nothing horrid. Also felt very slight sick to my stomach and told the nurse right away. He put some medicine into my iv and I immediately felt better. When DD was pulled out they layed her on my legs which I could feel. They didn't show her to me over the curtain but Dh went over to where they were cleaning and wraping her up. He then brought her over to me and held her near my face so I could kiss and talk to her for awhile. Then Dh went with DD and nurses back to our room while I got stiched up. When that was done I was moved over onto my hospital bed and rolled back to our room, where dh and dd and nurses were waiting for me. I was "in recovery" for about in hr. Which was just done there in our room, They just took many bp readings and took my temp a lot. I got to hold DD during this time. I think I may have also tried breastfeeding her then but can't remember for sure. The catheder was kept in until the next morning. I am hoping things go so well this time as they did then! Let me know if you have questions. :D
Me: 31 Dh: 32

Stars0245
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommaOreo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:05 pm

i had a planned c-section with DD for my personal medical reasons. I can not have epidural and pain meds was not helping labor pains so i was put to sleep for my c-section. I was told the date a week ahead of time and arrived at the hospital at 5 am. was hooked up to my ivs and signed all my papers etc within 30 mins. then i took a nap til 8 am when the anth came in to go over plans for my care before, during, and after. then the dr came in to say hi and reassure me everything would be fine. I was wheeled down to the OR because I had a mild sedative for my anxiety in my IV. I was able to slide from my bed to the OR table and they put the sheet up, it was FREEZING in the room so they covered me with warming blankets. the dr was making jokes but frankly i can not remember any of them, the anesthesiologist was standing over me (i had 3) he told me they are going to start and once he puts the mask on my face i may feel burning sensation for a few seconds and then i will be in a twilight stage and not remember anything. He put the mask on told me to breath deep and said "good night sweetie." I woke up 45 mins later with minor complications (mostly pain, and it was my first experience with anesthesia so i found out the hard way that it makes me violently puke for days, and had a terrible anesthesia headache) but got to hold my DD when she was about 4 hours old. my experience is not typical but i thought it would be good for you to hear a different story. Most end up with an epi and are awake for the section and get to hold there babies much sooner. all my side effects were fixed with meds and i was up and walking that night with help and back to normal the next day. what i would recommend because no one told me this would happen, is if the gas pain from surgery is that bad, ask for gas-x chewables, they do help, and also you can have an enimia. i know that sounds embarrassing but after 3 days of needing to go and get rid of the gas i couldn't you cant feel your lower muscles for a few days after surgery so you can be trying to push but you really are not, its a hard feeling to explain, but good luck! i hope you have a better experience this time.
Me- Sam 26 Dh- Caleb 24 DD1- 5 yrs, :angel: 7/9/12, DD2- 2 yrs, DD3- 9 months, Baby#4- Jan 2016
It's a BOY! Baby Levi is due Jan 31, 2016!
MommaOreo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby aerb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:41 pm

I had a scheduled c-section w/ my DD because of breech positioning. Went to L&D triage on the appointed day and time. They started an IV and did a quick ultrasound to double-check positioning. Was taken to OR in a wheelchair. DH went to change into scrubs and the anesthesiologist did my spinal. I don't remember it hurting because they did a local anesthetic first. I do remember the OR being FREEZING cold. I had oxygen via facemask and they were obviously measuring vitals with blood pressure cuff, pulse oximeter on finger, etc. After I was numb, they put in my catheter. Screen was set up, hubby came back, OB came in, scrub nurses, neonatologist (standard procedure for c-sections at my hospital), etc. My OB talked me through the surgery, telling me when to expect pressure, etc, how long til baby would be delivered, etc. I felt calm and at ease. Zero pain. I felt only minimal pressure. Took <20 minutes before the doctor said "Well, I can tell you it's a girl!!!" (we were Team Green) and then "Oh, and she is a true redhead!" and heard Miri crying. They showed her to me briefly and the neonatologist took her to do exam, Apgars, and get her cleaned up. I told DH to go and meet our daughter and bring her to me when it was okay. Doctor told me they were going to start closing, and that it would take longer than the delivery. Again, she talked me through when to possibly expect pressure, etc. No pain. DH came back after 10-15 minutes w/ our daughter. I couldn't hold her while I was lying on the OR table, but he essentially held her against my upper chest. Once I was closed, they moved me to a post-op recovery room. I was thirstier than I'd ever been in my life and asked the nurse for water. She hesitated but gave it to me. I chugged the entire cup. Then she helped me get Miri latched on and I nursed and snuggled her for about 20-30 minutes. Then I yelled at my husband to grab an emesis basin and promptly puked up allll the water while Miri was still on my chest. And then proceeded to puke at least once an hour for the next 12 hours or so, despite the anti-nausea meds I was given through my IV. I was also super sweaty and hot and unbearably itchy. My mom who is an ICU and GI-procedure nurse said that she would bet that most of those side effects were due to the morphine I'd been given at the time of surgery. At any rate, after about an hour, we were taken from the post-op recovery room to our room on the mother/baby unit. I was totally numb and immobile for hours, but I was able to hold and nurse Miri pretty much non-stop. I was not permitted to get out of bed for close to 24 hours, but I think it was because of my persistent nausea/ vomiting and the fact that I had really low urine output despite the fluids and anti-nausea meds I was getting. DH stayed with me though, so he was able to grab Miri from her bassinet overnight to bring her to me to nurse and to change diapers for her (or the nurses would have helped more had he not been there). By morning I was feeling 100% better. They took my catheter out, let me walk, let me start eating and drinking, etc. My recovery from then on was a piece of cake. I took Vicodin and Motrin for pain control and it was well-controlled. I wore an abdominal binder (given to me in the hospital) like 24-7 for the first week or so. I was able to stand up in a wedding and do all the typical bridesmaid stuff (w/ a baby on my boob half the time, LOL) when my daughter was 10 days old. I found the planned c-section recovery very easy, although frustrating to have lifting restrictions for 6 weeks. Avoiding the lifting restrictions is probably the sole reason I am considering a VBAC w/ this baby. Overall, I really thought the planned c-section was a piece of cake, and I had an excellent recovery. :)
Allison-- 33, DH--33
DD Miriam Aislinn born 9/8/10.
4 angel babies :angel::angel::angel::angel:
BFP 5/1/12
aerb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:57 pm

I had a planned c-section due to my DD was transverse. It was very relaxed and easy. We arrived early, 5:30am for my 7:30 section. The worst part was them trying to get the IV into my hand. Beyond that, it was easy. Even the spinal I got was ok and I have scoliosis so I was nervous that they wouldnt be able to get it in the right spot. They did lots of numb tests to be sure i couldnt feel anything before they cut me. During the section, I felt pressure but no pain. It wasnt bad at all. I was so focused on my baby being born lol

after the delivery, i did get some pain in my shoulder i think it was a gas bubble. I got to nurse my baby within 15 mins in the recovery room. I did ask for water too and I drank some then i sat the bed up a little and got nauseated then puked all over my DH who was standing next to the bed with the basin LOL but i didnt puke after that at all and I did not have any more nausea.

Once I got to my room, I was really itchy, terribly itchy, but like the PP said above, that was from the morphine they put in the spinal. I itched for about a day or two until the morphine was finally out of my system. But, I had very little pain. I was sore but I didnt need anything more than advil for the pain. I never needed any Rx pain meds after the c-section.

Thats about it. I had a great experience. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Overall, I'd say if you are having a planned C section, dont worry. My DH performs c-sections on a regular basis and even though there are always risks with surgery, its pretty routine and if its planned, then even better chance for a completely smooth experience.

Good luck
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kindofagirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:36 am

Thank you for all your posts

I am less nervous now, the way I see it a planned section is going to be way less stressful and a whole lot nicer of a birth experience that my first one, and maybe I will get skin to skin this time or at least my OH will xx
kindofagirl
Angel
Angel

Postby ajs333 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Had planned c sections with both of mine. My experiences were some combination of what everyone else has said. But overall, very positive experiences with both. Honestly, wouldn't change a thing! Good luck Mama!
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby niclet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:49 pm

I had a planned c/s and honestly, I would not have it any other way! My birth experience with DD was wonderful! Took 45 minutes from start to finish and I was nursing in recovery! I was home in 2 days and off of all pain meds in a week. It took a while for me to sit up without some work and for me to get into my bed (it is high up) but other than that, it was very easy. I am doing another with this one as well. As for exaact details, it is like many post here. The worst part for me was:
1. I itched really bad and shook from the spinal as it was wearing off. I will bring a back scratcher this time!
2. They put something in the block that was supposed to keep me pain free for 24 hours. That did not work and by 7 that night, those nerve endings were waking up and it was pretty painful. Once they gave me loratab in my IV, I was fine. This time, I have a different Dr. and plan to make sure this does not happen again!!
My DD at 11 weeks 3 Days. I love this US pic!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
niclet
Angel
Angel

Return to Labor & Delivery