Midwife vs. OBGYN

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Midwife vs. OBGYN

Postby Txjess4 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:43 am

Ive posted this a couple places cause im new here and not to sure where it should go, so forgive me if you read this a few times :)

Ok ladies..this could be a sensitive subject, but I'm curious about past experiences or plans that you ladies have for your prenatal care and delivery. My DH and I are very interested in using a midwife and birthing center for our pregnancy. We just watched a documentary called "the Business of Being Born" and it was extremely interesting (I highly recommend it). It seems that in the US utikizing a midwife is almost frowned upon in a lot of circles--everyone I've mentioned it to is shocked that I wouldn't want to deliver in a hospital, and to be honest kinda judgey :-/ this is my first baby, so I just want to research all the options! Has anyone had any experience with midwives/birthing centers/home births? Good or bad? Anyone done a hospital birth and an alternative birth? Any information is greatly appreciated!

Second Little one EDD: 7/13/16
Txjess4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Midwife vs. OBGYN

Postby litmajor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 am

The practice I saw had 4-5 OBs, 1 nurse practitioner and 1 midwife- I saw each one of them at some point during my pregnancy. I delivered in a hospital, and it went by whoever was on call- in my case, it was my favorite OB who happened to be on call that weekend. That OB, the NP and the midwife were all incredibly friendly and I would have been happy to have any of them deliver.

I was not anti-home birth, but I did not seriously consider it as a normal hospital birth is covered on my insurance and getting someone to attend a home birth would have been much trickier (don't think it would have been covered). In hindsight, I'm very happy that I was in a hospital as I had an atonic uterus and would have likely hemorrhaged if I had been at home. There was no way of knowing that would happen and we would have been unprepared at home. Food for thought..
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:06 pm

I was high risk so had to use a hospital, one that had many interventions available. Thankfully I didn't need them beyond being induced. I know women who have had great experiences at birthing centers and home births, and women who have had awful experiences. You CAN have a great experience with a natural hospital birth (I know many who have!) as long as you stand up for yourself which is hard.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:44 am

I have seen that show, too! I was already seeing a midwife at the time, so I had been leaning that route, but it sure was eye-opening! That was with my 1st pregnancy. With this pregnancy, my 2nd, we are actually seeing a homebirth midwife,and planning a waterbirth at home. I have never had an OBGYN, but from what I've heard and taking into account my personality and our lifestyle and interest in health/nutrition, etc... a midwife is the perfect match for us! I am really enjoying this midwife I have now. She is sensible and knowledgable, but also open to using alternative treatments, like herbs, vitamins, exercises, etc to produce good results. I am very thankful to have a midwife taking care of myself and the baby.

Oh, and not to mention, she makes house calls for my appts, so no waiting for an hour in the OB's office, no unnecessary screening or u/s, no pressure for unnecessary meds, intervention or induction! She is very peaceful and relaxed, and that helps me not to stress. I can ask her anything and she'll take time to talk to me about my concerns. She's had quite a bit of experience delivering babies, also, which is a plus.

Yeah, as you can tell, I love my midwife care and would never go another route if I had the choice! :D

ETA: I had a natural hospital birth the first time, though I attribute that also to Bradley classes and not just to my nurse-midwife care.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Txjess4 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Wow thank you guys so much for all the supportive words an for sharing your stories!! You are all amazing inspiring women . I took the plunge and we've decided to go for the natural birth at our birthing center (water birth tubs too woohoo!). We are so excited, and Ive been reading a lot of natural birth stories and have looked into the Bradley classes in our area and really feel like this is what we're called to do! All of you have definitely inspired and empowered me :)

Second Little one EDD: 7/13/16
Txjess4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Txjess4 wrote:Wow thank you guys so much for all the supportive words an for sharing your stories!! You are all amazing inspiring women . I took the plunge and we've decided to go for the natural birth at our birthing center (water birth tubs too woohoo!). We are so excited, and Ive been reading a lot of natural birth stories and have looked into the Bradley classes in our area and really feel like this is what we're called to do! All of you have definitely inspired and empowered me :)

That's awesome! Best wishes to you--I know you're going to do great! If you think of it, check out the book 'Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin. There's great concrete info, and also a lot of encouragement and empowering stories of natural birthing mamas :)
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Labor & Delivery