x posted...working myself into a frenzy!

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

x posted...working myself into a frenzy!

Postby Txjess4 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey ladies,

So here it goes again, another first timer post :doh:

My DH and I are really interested in possibly pursuing a natural birth at a birthing center with midwives (as long as my pregnancy progresses with no problems). We toured/interviewed the birthing center in my city yesterday, and we both loved it...loved the people, the atmosphere, the rooms, the big ol' tubs..everything.

I really feel like its in my heart to deliver outside of the hospital setting and to attempt a natural childbirth to the best of my ability....the only problem is IM SO SCARED OF THE UKNOWN.

Like what the pain will be like...
How bad will it feel..
Will I be able to do it without drugs...

I guess I'm just scared of the pain...even though a lot of women that I talk to say that the pain is pretty bad, but that after you have your baby it is just a memory. Our midwife told us that one of the main differences is that its pain with a purpose..not like when you break your leg and it just hurts with no end in sight. Its pain, but afterwards you end up with a beautiful baby.

I guess what I'm searching for from all of you BTDT mommas is what was your experience like? How was the pain? Could you describe it? Is it bearable? Did you do it naturally or with drugs?

Im just so nervous, and if I'm honest a little scared :help:

Second Little one EDD: 7/13/16
Txjess4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: x posted...working myself into a frenzy!

Postby Kryssy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 am

I am not going to lie. It was very painful. However it is true that instantly you forget how bad. I remember when I was having DS2 I was thinking " oh yeah, now I remember the pain" lol everyone is different and it is impossible to say to someone you can do it. However I do believe you can do it. Keep yourself in a state of mind that the pain comes and goes and if you try to keep your jaw unclenched it is much less. It sounds funny but it worked for me. Every time I had a contraction I focused on keeping my jaw slightly open and moving around. Well that and being in the hot shower sitting on the excerise ball lol
I had 2 completely drug free hospital births. I live in Canada so I don't know Iif it is different, but I did not feel pushed to have drugs at all. They asked once when I got there the first time, I said no that was that. With DS2 there was no time. I got to the hospital at 9 cm and he was born 30 minutes later lol. I also think that if you focus your entire pregnancy on the pain of labour you will have a painful labour if you ink it will be something you can get through you will be ab,e toget through it.
That said you also have to keep an open mind and be flexible. Things and situations change very fast during labour. With DS1 he was having heart decals and NICU was called and I was told I had 2 minutes until an OR was open and they were doing a csection to get him out! He was born naturally about 30 seconds later, but I was willing to do whatever to get my baby boy here safely.
Sorry long rant just to say you can handle the pain if you prepare yourself that while it is very painful you can and will handle it. It is a mind game, you are the only one who can overcome it.
Me: Kryssy 32
DH: 28
DS: Born Dec. 27, 2010
DS: Born Aug. 30, 2012
DD: Born Dec. 12, 2013
5 Angels.

ImageImage
Kryssy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Kryssy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:06 am

Oh and just so you know. I know it is strange to say but DS2 was my last baby. Now with all my friends being pregnant I am so jealous. I am not jealous of being pregnant or them having another child. I am jealous that they get to go through labour and delivery! Looking back it was such a magical time. I loved every moment, even with the pain. The excitement of knowing this is it! I am going to meet my little man. Then the moment when he is laid on my chest for the first time and our eyes meet! That will never happen for me again! You are very lucky to get that moment. So while painful it is also beautiful.

Oh and I am, not kidding I seriously am jealous of the labour and delivery. Okay it also might be because my labours were quite quick. DS1 was 6.5 hours from first contraction to holding him. DS2 was 3.5 hours from first contraction to holding him.
Me: Kryssy 32
DH: 28
DS: Born Dec. 27, 2010
DS: Born Aug. 30, 2012
DD: Born Dec. 12, 2013
5 Angels.

ImageImage
Kryssy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby JanuaryMama » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Its painful but you will get through it! You need to have focus... Remind yourself constantly "I can do this". Control your breathing. Listen to your body. The worst part is right before you are able to push. Right when you feel the "I cant do this any more it hurts too much" it means the baby is SO CLOSE to coming. For me waiting for the baby to come down far enough to push was the hardest part. Pushing oddly enough brought with it some pain relief (something to focus on other than the pain I guess!). Honestly if you can have a good frame of mind and a support person that can encourage you and support you through it, you will do just fine. And it is so true that once they hand you that baby the pain is such a distant memory you would do it all again in a heart beat. Good luck and congrats in advance! P.S you will feel like such a rock star afterwards. There is nothing as cool as bringing a new life into this world!
JanuaryMama
Star Member
Star Member

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 am

Well, we had a natural birth the first time (no induction or pain meds) and we are now pregnant with #2... and I am looking forward to labor! So it can't be THAT bad, LOL. This time we are planning a waterbirth, which I hope will help me through the shortest bu most painful part, pushing. Other than that, I really don't remember much pain. I remember the need to focus, and a LOT of intensity and pressure and overwhelming emotion at times , but I honestly don't remember a lot of true pain.

A few things that helped me were:

--Taking Bradley classes--they really help you prepare your body and mind for labor and the baby's arrival!
--Exercising and keeping my body in shape
--Eating well
--Practicing relaxing my body and mind and prayer
--Writing a birth plan so that my midwife and hospital nurses knew what we planned, and that we wanted freedom of movement and limited intervention, etc, to achieve those goals. This is really necessary in a hospital, IMO.

There is nothing to be afraid of! I know the unknown can be very scary--I was nervous too the first time around, but now I am much less afraid of the pain because I have done it once and I know i can do it again. It is such a short time in the scheme of things, and then the baby comes and it's all over. Natural birth, if possible, is SO worth it!!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 am

JanuaryMama wrote:Pushing oddly enough brought with it some pain relief (something to focus on other than the pain I guess!).

This x 1000. My epidural didn't really work, and I wound up taking breaks during a few contractions towards the end. While I was sort of able to rest, it hurt like hell. Pushing through them really helped the pain.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Txjess4 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 am

Wow thank you guys so much for all the supportive words an for sharing your stories!! You are all amazing inspiring women :). I took the plunge and we've decided to go for the natural birth at our birthing center (water birth tubs too woohoo!). We are so excited, and Ive been reading a lot of natural birth stories and have looked into the Bradley classes in our area and really feel like this is what we're called to do! All of you have definitely inspired and empowered me :)

Second Little one EDD: 7/13/16
Txjess4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Labor & Delivery