Doula

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Doula

Postby savigny » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:35 pm

(x-posted in April DDC)
anyone going to use a doula for the birth? I am strongly considering it this time around even though I never wanted it with my first, and I was happy with the birth of DS, But, I had a rough recovery, and I am more and more convinced it's because I got the epidural. Anyway I really really really want to try to go natural this time because I think I will bounce back quicker, and I think a doula might be the only way to get through those really difficult moments. My two closest friends both highly recommend getting a doula and they both were able to have natural births (and told me that they never would have been able to do it without the doula).
But I am still a little on the fence cause I feel a little weird about having someone non-family in there with me, and they are expensive!!!
anyway, just wondered if anyone else has thought about this?
33 me
37 DH

savigny
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Doula

Postby azureblue » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Yes, yes, yes. I wanted one so bad with my first birth but hubby was against it. He wanted to be my "birth partner" and "not have a stranger there" but he wouldn't do any of the reading and when it came time to really see me in labor and in pain, he wasn't able to support me the way I needed.

THIS time around he is fully onboard for having a doula. He will, of course, be there supporting me, but the doula and I have talked about all kinds of techniques and things we plan to do and try to have a natural birth. She is experienced at being around women who are laboring (that is their job) and won't be horrified to see my body going natural labor. She'll be supportive, and calm, and help me use different techniques to try to make it through.

azureblue
Star Member
Star Member

Postby lilbwitty02 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 am

We had one and she was great....that being said, DH ended up being the MOST amazing supportive birthing partner everrr and had she not been there we would have been fine. My mom was also there the whole time. It was too many people for me. This time will be just DH and I. But if you have any doubts/worries, a doula is definitely a great investment!! You get prebirth, labor, and post-birth support.
lilbwitty02
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby moondreamer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 pm

I would love to have one, but DH really feels its a waste of money. :( I don't think he has even seen a real birth and all that goes on, nor has he read anything about them. So sadly I think I will just have to pass on it.
-------------------------------
Me -35
DH-32
DS-1
Fur babies- 3
moondreamer
Angel
Angel

Postby KJ511 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:28 am

I didn't have one, but I also wasn't committed to a natural birth. If I had very much wanted a natural birth, I'd have had a doula no question. DH said he could do it, but he totally couldn't stand seeing me in pain so he'd have been no help in keeping me strong, lol! I say if you really really really want a natural birth, get a doula. If you're not super-committed to it, I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, I had an epidural and I recovered amazingly well. I guess it just depends on how easy/rough your actual labor and delivery was.
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Labor & Delivery