Sore after c-section

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Sore after c-section

Postby MorghanW » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:35 am

So, I'm about 5 days post-op with my c-section. It was my first, so I have no experience. The incision is healing very nicely. It's tiny, hasn't had any infections or complications, and I only have a small line of stitches and glue (never needed a dressing of any sort).

I have been getting progressively better, but I am in a wheelchair, so I do a lot of transferring from toilet/wheelchair/bed/etc. I'm either sitting down or laying down (cuddling with Noah or resting). Sitting down and being active is usually fine. I'm not in pain and I am now back to doing all my transfers alone without issue, even if I am a little slower/more careful.

My issue is that whenever I lay down, I feel really stretched. It's extremely helpful at first, but when I go to get up I feel REALLY tight on the sides of my incision and I'm super sore for about 15-20 min until things get moving again.

Is this normal? I had my husband check my incision and he says it still looks great. I felt it and while most of it is squishy and easy to push on, the two sides of the incision are still really tight (as if the sutures dissolved in the middle but are holding tight on the sides). Does it take longer for the sides to get better than the bulk of the middle? I feel like such an idiot here.
Me: 31
DH: 33
:angel: 5/2005
DS: 2
DD: 1/19/2015 7lbs 9oz, 20.5 in @ 37w1d

MorghanW
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Sore after c-section

Postby Cayman4 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 am

First, congrats! Second, don't feel like an idiot. Ask any questions you have. :) Third, yes the sides take longer to feel better. They really had to pull at your incision to get the baby out and stretch you out there. I've had two sections and with both the side of the incision pain is the worst.

When getting out of bed from laying flat can you roll to your side and then slowly sit up? Or stay on your back and have someone slowly pull you up? I did both. I would roll off the bed or wake DH to slowly pull me up from my back.

It sucks but it will get better. For me it took two months to feel back to normal but I didn't take pain meds with both, only Tylenol. Also once the pain wears off your incision and/or stomach might be numb. That takes up to a year to go away.

I hope you feel better soon.
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby MorghanW » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks for responding!

Luckily I have bars on my headboard, so I've been using them to get up and it's better. I'm glad it's normal. I was worried, because I have a spinal cord injury. The scar is basically right at the line where my feeling stops/starts, so I'm not too worried about numbness, since it's practically the norm there anyway. I likely won't notice a difference. I was worried though because I know some sutures don't dissolve well when they're in an area that doesn't have nerve innervation, so I was worried that maybe the sides should go back to normal just as fast but my nerves were messed up there.

I'm just happy to know it's normal. :) I'm only taking Motrin. I'm still a bit sore, but the pain isn't all that bad. So far I'm pleased with my healing considering I'm 6 days post-op and can already do all my wheelchair transfers and normal activities by myself. Only thing I still suck at is getting in and out of the car, because I actually have to jump the gap, and just thinking about landing on the other side is painful. ;)

Thanks again!
Me: 31
DH: 33
:angel: 5/2005
DS: 2
DD: 1/19/2015 7lbs 9oz, 20.5 in @ 37w1d

MorghanW
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 pm

I hope you continue to heal well and getting in and out of the car gets easier and easier. It gets better every day. :)
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby babydust2me » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:09 am

Are you feeling better now?

I did take the percocet they gave me after my C section but I was able to stop taking the pain meds by 2 weeks pp. Unfortunately I think helped me heal faster won't really work for you. I did a lot of walking through the hospital to visit my girls in the NICU.

The main thing to remember is to take it as easy as you can. You just had major surgery and your body needs to recover. Congrats on your new baby!
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Labor & Delivery