eat before hospital

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

eat before hospital

Postby China_do11 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 pm

I went into the hospital at 9:30 in the morning with small leakage. My husband was all dressed to go to work too...we thought it was false labor...lo and behold, test said my water broke and they prepped for labor. I was not aloud to eat. Did not give birth until 3 in the morning. So I 18 hours with no food... scratch that, I ate around 8 the day before. I was hungry and had no energy to push. My husband wanted to sneak some food for me, but I didn't want to mess things up.
-- Tran (China Doll)
Mama to baby Jacob
Born on 1/7/13 @ 3:06 am
7lb 5 oz
19 inches long
China_do11
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: eat before hospital

Postby Vinerunner » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:55 am

First, congrats on your delivery! Second, that sucks! It is a shame they didn't let you eat. Each hospital is different ours told DH and I that I could "snack" nothing big just something to keep up the energy. I hope your DH went and got you a nice meal when you could eat!
Me-38 DH-37
Aug 2008-Began TTC
DD- Eva; 20 Mar 2013; 6lbs 10 oz
Mar 2014-TTC again
BFP-4 Sep 14!
It's a BOY!!!!
Vinerunner
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Can you write a birth plan and specify that you'd like to snack lightly during labor? Some hospitals do have "rules" but if you talk specifically to your doctor about it (and mention what happened last time) they will let you at least sip juice or something.

I had a hospital MW last time and I put in my birth plan that I wanted to eat and drink freely as needed during labor and she didn't have a problem with that. I can't imagine trying to work so hard and not being allowed to eat. It irks me that they make that a rule. I personally would just have hubby sneak you a granola bar or something even if they say no to food... there's no reason why you shouldn't eat, and it can make a big difference in your stamina during labor.

But that's just me :wink:.

ETA: Saw that you already had the baby, so forget what I just wrote, LOL! I'll leave the post in case it helps someone else.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JanuaryMama » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:39 am

My hospital also had this "strong recommendation" I had planned on eating before leaving for the hospital but since I went in to labour at 3:30 in the morning and progressed so quickly I didnt really have time to eat and it wasn't really on my mind. I did have gatorade packed and had made some ice chips with it. I think that helped to give me a lot of energy as I had been sick for like 2 weeks before giving birth with a nasty cold so I really hadnt slept much either for quite some time, I also gave birth on boxing day so after a long two days of Christmas festivities I was exhausted starting labour... I definately recommend eating if you can especially something with a bit of protien in it if you can! And drink lots so you stay hydrated!
JanuaryMama
Star Member
Star Member

Postby KJ511 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 am

I tried to eat dry Cheerios the morning I went into the hospital but didn't because I was throwing up--my contractions were very painful. I actually didn't eat anything from 6:30 pm the night before until about the same time the next day as DD was born around 4:30. But I wasn't hungry or tired. That isn't to say that's the best thing to do. Once I was able to eat, I realized that I was famished! I ate like a horse! Next time I'd definitely try to eat something before going in--at least something light!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby meganmarie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:21 pm

I think it's ridiculous that hospitals don't want you to eat during labor. If ever there was a time that you needed the calories, it's when you are birthing a human! I get the concern about possible aspiration should an emergency arise, but that's the worst case scenario, not the norm.

When I had my daughter, I was determined to buck the system and made my hubby stop at Krispy Kreme on the way to the hospital, but that actually backfired on me b/c the donuts just gave me heartburn and I was hungry about two hours later! I did have some bootleg Gatorade, though! With my son, the hospital (different one) was actually really great. They had a snack room and told me to help myself whenever I got hungry!
Team Green!

DD is 7, DS is 4

meganmarie
Angel
Angel

Postby ashleybrooke » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:26 am

The hospital I delivered at doesn't allow you to eat while in labor and I couldn't until I was settled into the recovery room. I was induced and worried I'd be in labor all day and possibly all night, so I made DH get me food from McDonald's right before my induction. I was only allowed to have ice chips :/ no water or anything. Luckily, my labor was short. My induction started at about 8:40am and my son was born at 11:56am, and I got in the recovery room right around lunch time at 1...and even though it had only been around 6 hours between meals, the hospital food was like the best thing ever to me and I was so hungry lol.
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby casi7787 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:48 am

Yes, I went nearly a day without food with my son. The labor itself was 15.5 hours, but I hadn't had much that day. I ordered food as soon as he was out.
Me-28
DH-38
Married-5/1/15
DD-8/2006 & DS-6/2008 (mine from a previous relationship)
DS-3/1995 & DD 11/2000 (DH's non-biological children he helped raise in a previous relationship)
Have his DD some weekends
MC-1/2006 (DD's wombmate/s-natural multiple pregnancy)
MC-9/21/2013 4-5 weeks
TTC#3-since wedding-DH's 1st

My Ovulation Chart

casi7787
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Labor & Delivery