Two Week Wait

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.
Post a reply

NO EPIDURAL

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 am

WHO ALL IS PLANNING TO DELIVER W/O EPI?? MY OTHER CHILDREN I HAD ONE BUT THEY CAME OUT WITHIN 10-15MIN OF GETTING IT SO IT WAS PRETTY MUCH POINTLESS. I DONT WANT ONE AT ALL THIS TIME. WHATS EVERYONE ELSES PLAN??

Re: NO EPIDURAL

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:23 pm

I had an all natural birth with DS and plan to do it again this time :)

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:15 am

I'm a FTM and am having our baby at a birth center..so epidural is not an option! We are excited/nervous/scared all at once but I just keep reading natural birth stories and coping techniques an I love hearing other women's experiences who had had a natural birth before..it makes me feel empowered and that I can do it too!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:41 am

The best advice I can give is to not be afraid of it and accept it as a challenge that you can do! Our bodies are equipped to handle it! I used to talk to my baby months in advance saying how we are going to make a great team and do it together. Mentally, I prepared myself to do it! Big deep breaths and the encouragement of others saying you can do it!!

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:14 am

I'm hoping not to have one, but I haven't completely ruled it out. Like some of the other ladies are saying, I think being positive about the situation is the best thing you can do. I'm really tired of all the ladies I know that keep insisting that I HAVE to have one. Yes, I may get one, but i truely don't believe it is necessary.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 am

^^^Exactly! Definitely educate yourself on interventions, but having that positive mind frame will go a long way!

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 am

I made it through 34 hours of labor and pitocin with no Epi with DS. You can do it :) It hurts like hell but it's going to hurt regardless. My recovery was super easy...I was out of bed 30m after he came out and showering :) I'm 3 days overdue right now and praying I don't have to deal with induction because I plan to go epi-free in a birth center again, as well.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 pm

I had no epidural or drugs last time (12 hour labor, 40 min pushing). We are planning a homebirth/water birth this time, so an epi won't be an option! It helps to educate yourself, learn to relax your body, and have confidence in yourself and your birth coach! It was really amazing having a natural birth, and I am looking forward to doing it again!

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am

I had a natural delivery too. I didnt have the option for an epi because I delivered him so fast (4 hr labour) <oh and he came out sunny side up with his hand up by his face :doh: >. My Mom had very fast labours too so I mentally prepared myself for not having the option. The best advice I got was to practice breathing techniques and when you get to the point where you think you can't do it any more you are right around the corner from being able to push and the baby is coming soon! Pushing honestly brings relief to the pain so if you can hang in there long enough to get to the pushing you are good to go! The pain is over as soon as the baby is out! Keep telling yourself you can do it. I also brought gatorade it helped me to have a bit of extra energy I drank 3 bottles in less than 2 hours. I also made ice chips out of the gatorade and brought them with me. good luck!! You can do it!!

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:39 am

I wanted to try not to avoid it if necessary, but I started having regular contractions on a Saturday and DD was born on a Tuesday. By the time I was admitted (after having been sent home twice) I was throwing up and in horrible pain. I had one and loved it. BUT I am going to try next time to avoid it again!

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 am

I do not plan to get one this time. I had one with my first and it was a horrible experience. It made me super nauseated (my least fav feeling) and dropped my blood pressure so low they had to give me something to bring it back up, which was ironic considering I was being induced b/c my BP was starting to creep up. Plus, I just really hated the numb feeling. With #2, I went all natural and it was great. Yah, it hurt (mainly just the pushing part), but I bounced back so much faster and felt a real sense of accomplishment. I try to view labor and delivery as the ultimate workout. You wouldn't take painkillers before running a marathon, so why should this be any different? Actually, I think I'd rather go through childbirth than run a marathon--blech! Our bodies are made to do this, we just have to get our brains on board.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:21 pm

meganmarie wrote:I do not plan to get one this time. I had one with my first and it was a horrible experience. It made me super nauseated (my least fav feeling) and dropped my blood pressure so low they had to give me something to bring it back up, which was ironic considering I was being induced b/c my BP was starting to creep up. Plus, I just really hated the numb feeling. With #2, I went all natural and it was great. Yah, it hurt (mainly just the pushing part), but I bounced back so much faster and felt a real sense of accomplishment. I try to view labor and delivery as the ultimate workout. You wouldn't take painkillers before running a marathon, so why should this be any different? Actually, I think I'd rather go through childbirth than run a marathon--blech! Our bodies are made to do this, we just have to get our brains on board.

Hahahahaha! I would rather run a marathon than go through childbirth--I have run 8 marathons and never felt that much pain! :P

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 am

I had an induction and no time for epi with #1 .. I wanted it cos it hurt like hell but I progressed so fast it was not an option.

My sister had a bub 6 weeks later and Had the epi, must admit I was jealous watching her contract and not feeling it at all, but I was so not jealous of the big urinary cath she had for 24 hrs after!

Also my sis had to push for over an hr, my pushing was 4 mins!

Leaning towards no epi for #2... Think it would be strange and unsettling not to be able to feel what's goin on

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:51 pm

My advice is too look at the pain as a good thing. Each contraction is one step closer to holding the baby. Visual your cervix in your head like a flower opening up. (that sounds looney, but it helped me) Or think of it like a wave, it washes it, reaches the shore (worst part) and it flows back out. And remember that the pain isn't forever, it'll be over eventually. Oh, and don't think of labor as a "on your back only" type of thing. I had my daughter on my knees holding onto the head of the hospital bed for dear life. They couldn't have made me turn around if they wanted too. lol! You can do it!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 pm

With dd (now 19 and due to give birth to her own baby any day now), I was induced and the pain was outrageous. I had an epidural, and while I welcomed the respite from the pain, I didn't appreciate that I couldn't feel my limbs, but I could still feel when I tore open from her shoulders. I couldn't walk afterwards, I couldn't shower, it made her a "sleepy" baby who was groggy and not very responsive, and I needed a catheter to be able to pee for 24 hours.

I am hoping with this pregnancy (I'm due July 24th) that I won't have to be induced and I can tough it out like an Amazon without an epidural.

Jenn
Post a reply
IsoFresh
PregEase
Milkies Milksaver
PeaPodPrenatal
Milkies Milk Trays
DreamBelly Butter
Nursing Blend