tearing

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

tearing

Postby jessisamommy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi ladies !

This may be a silly question. But does anyone know if tearing during labor with dd means that I'm doomed to tear during this delivery as well? I had labia tears if that matters.
Thanks!
Jesswantstobeamommy in the TTC boards

1 dd
1 ds on the way!

jessisamommy

Re: tearing

Postby coastieschick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:20 am

I had a tiny tear with DS so I'd like to see what others say for having #2. I would like to think that our body would stretch better this time around but who knows...
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessisamommy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 am

Coastie- I would like to think the same thing as well, but I'm afriad that I will tear in the same places as before. I know I have scar tissue there. :/

1 dd
1 ds on the way!

jessisamommy

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:22 am

I'm an OB nurse and have seen it both ways. Some moms still tear with the second baby, others don't. For those who do, it's usually not as bad as the first time around. A lot of things can affect whether or not you'll tear like the size and position of baby, how fast the come out, etc. HTH and good luck!
Me: 28 DH: 30
My blog: http://ttcwithpcosrpl.blogspot.com
8w3d :angel: 5w0d :angel: 4w3d :angel:
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

:hb: Our little miracle Mason arrived on February 22, 2012! :hb:

Expecting TWINS June 2014 after just one round of treatments! :shock:

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessisamommy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Hawkeye_ what's the best thing I can do to try and avoid it this time around?

1 dd
1 ds on the way!

jessisamommy

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

There are some things you can control and others you can't. The worst tear I saw was because the baby's arm came out before the head. Obviously, that's not something that anyone could have prevented. However, there are some things you can do.

After you're completely dilated, you can ask your doctor or midwife if you can have a chance to "labor down" if you're not feeling like you need to push. You can labor down for at least an hour if baby is doing ok and you're not feeling an urge. This allows your body to slowly move baby down and gives things a chance to stretch out gradually. If you start pushing right away and don't have an urge, that might mean that baby still hasn't made it low enough to trigger the Ferguson reflex (urge to push). If baby is still high up, then you will probably end up pushing for a while and things will start to swell which makes it easier to tear.

When you do start pushing, try changing positions frequently (like every 5 contractions or so) and try to avoid being in the lithotomy position ( on your back) too much. This position can put a lot of pressure on your bottom and increase the chances of tearing, not to mention it narrows the diameter of your pelvis and makes it harder for baby to move down. Pushing on your side, hands and knees, or squatting can help. Once baby starts to crown, listen very closely to your nurse and doctor or midwife. If you can just breathe at that point and let the contractions slowly ease the baby out, you'll be less likely to end up with a bad tear.
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessisamommy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Hawkeye- awesome information,thanks so much! I will definitely pay attention this time when baby crowns and stop pushing. I literally only pushed for like 20 mins with dd. So, I have a feeling that that may be partly why I tore... I also need to talk to the doc about laboring down. I didn't have the urge to push with dd but that's probably because of the epi. Thanks again!

1 dd
1 ds on the way!

jessisamommy

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah, the epidural can get rid of the urge to push. If baby is already down really low, laboring down might not help much. Twenty minutes is awesome for a first baby! But, it also might have contributed to the tear. At the end when you're crowning, sometimes you need to give just a little push, but the more you can let your body slowly ease the head out and maintain control, the better. You'll probably have to do another little push with the shoulders, but listen to your doc and they'll be able to tell you if it's necessary. :)

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessisamommy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:55 am

Yea I woke up at 9am with contractions,by the time I was at the hospital I was 5 cms,got the epi , and dd was born a little before 4 pm. My obgyn said that that I need to go to the hospital asap with this baby bc she doesn't want me to deliver in the car! Haha I guess 2nd babies come quicker? Anyways, you have been so so helpful! Can't thank you enough.
When are you due? I'm on my phone and can't see signatures if you have info there !

1 dd
1 ds on the way!

jessisamommy

Postby BeccaM » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38 pm

I had a 2nd degree tear with DS and I probably wouldn't have except his heartrate suddenly decelerated and my MW told me to get him out ASAP. So no time to breathe him out! I am hoping I can get in a better position with this one so I don't tear as bad (though it really wasn't THAT bad).

My mom had a horrible tear with me and hardly anything with my brother, who was larger and born 2 years later. It was something to do with me having the cord around my neck twice and having to take it off as she was pushing me out? Ouch!!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Jess: you're welcome! I'm not currently pregnant. My DS will be turning one next week. DH and I are thinking about TTC again soon, so hopefully things work out :D

Becca: yeah, there are definitely times when they have to get baby out as quickly as possible, which usually causes worse tears. Hopefully, you'll have an easy delivery this time around!

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessisamommy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:27 am

Hawkeye- oh! How wonderful . My dd just tuurned one on the 3rd. :) such great times ! Are you having a party?

Becca- ouch! I bet that was no fun. I really hope it goes better this time around for you! Are you stressing about it at all? I literally wish everyday that I don't tear this time around. I do kegels ... do you do those?

1 dd
1 ds on the way!

jessisamommy

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:34 am

Jess: We're planning on throwing him a party next Saturday, but the poor little guy has pneumonia right now. Hopefully his antibiotic works and he'll be good to go by then.

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:48 pm

jessisamommy wrote:Hawkeye- oh! How wonderful . My dd just tuurned one on the 3rd. :) such great times ! Are you having a party?

Becca- ouch! I bet that was no fun. I really hope it goes better this time around for you! Are you stressing about it at all? I literally wish everyday that I don't tear this time around. I do kegels ... do you do those?

Honestly, the tearing wasn't so bad. I don't remember being in much pain from it over all. It was definitely worth it, to have our baby out! I did Kegels last time, and am trying to remember to do them regularly this time too.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rcpmelissa » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 pm

This is a huge issue of mine. I had a 4th degree awful tear with DS but we know it was due to large baby and FAST labor. My water broke with only having had a small handful of ctx during that day and i delivered 4 hours later with no pitocin. i pushed once and he (as my bff who was in the room says) "Shot out of me like a canon" and he was 8lbs 4oz. i just think my body had no time to stretch. recovery was horrid and it was 4.5 mo before DH and i could BD. and even then it hurt until almost 8 mo. that was my first baby too, so we're really watching things this time to be sure we can hopefully slow things down a little bit and let my body stretch naturally. my dr has suggested a c-section but we'll see as we get closer if i think that's neccessary. it will depend on how big they think baby is going to be!
me (melissa):31 dh: 29
ds: born 6/7/11
preg with baby #2 due in july 2013
rcpmelissa
Star Member
Star Member

Next

Return to Labor & Delivery