going into labor vs. inducing???? thoughts

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

going into labor vs. inducing???? thoughts

Postby jennellis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:28 pm

for those of you who have had both. what are you thoughts/feelings?
This is my third and probaly last pg and I had to be induced with both boys. I really want to experience the surprise of going into labor. I had a great experience with my inductions, nothing went wrong or bad I just want to experience the other side of having everything planned out.
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: going into labor vs. inducing???? thoughts

Postby Alesa83 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 am

My only experience with going into labor on my own was pre-term labor so it wasn't good. My last 2 were inductions, however they were not planned ie I was in the hospital and had to be induced due to medical circumstances. I believe that you and you Dr will make the right choice for you :)
:angel: Lorelai 2-13-07@32wks 5days lived 18minImage
:babyg: Madelynne 5-3-09@ 37wks
:babyb: Elijah 5-20-11@ 37wks 2d
:babyg: Annabelle 8-27-13@ 36wks 5d

ImageImage
Alesa83
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby MommyToOne+2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 pm

My first DS was induced at 40w3d b/c he had no plans of coming out on his own. It was a good experience. I was in labor 19 hours but still I'm ok with how it all went. My twins were born at 35w. My water broke at 1am and my twins arrived 6 hours later. It was an amazing experience. I hope that my next pregnancy is as awesome as my twin pregnancy and delivery. I would definitely try for a natural delivery and only be induced if medically necessary. You'll make the best decision for yourself and baby! Good luck!
Me - 29 DH - 31 DS - 9 (Concieved Naturally) DS2/DD -Almost 2 years!
TTC #2 for 72 months
IVF #1 - Sept 10 - m/c @ 11wks - blighted ovum
FET #1 - Mar 11/11 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS!!!
10/15/11 - Deacon 5lbs 1 oz, Finley 5lbs 10 oz - Vaginal Delivery
Breastfed for 16 months!!!
FET#2 - June 11/13 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS AGAIN!!!
2/8/14 - Piper 6lbs, Harvey 6lbs - Vaginal Delivery
MommyToOne+2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 am

I had my only son naturally, and we are planning a homebirth with this one, so no chance of induction (except in case of emergency) with this one either! I highly recommend natural labor, though I have nothing to compare it to, I suppose. It was very doable, and almost an emotional/hormonal high, despite the pain, that is hard to explain! It does take focus, confidence and preparation, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have heard that Pitocin, which is much stronger than the human hormone Oxytocin, while causing contractions, does not have the feel-good hormones that come along with it, making ctx stronger and more painful. but like I said, I've only had the one labor so I can't say for sure from personal experience! All I can say is, looking back, I really actually enjoyed being in natural labor (which might sound a little weird, LOL)!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Just1more » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 am

I've had both. If you want a med free natural labor then go natural if it's still a safe option for you. If you know you want an epi inductions are EASY :D My induction was my second birth and she was out in 5 hours. They started pit at 7am and by 9am I asked for the epi and smooth sailing :D pushed for only 12 min. She was born on her EDD. I was induced for very low fluid.
Me: 32 DH:32
9w1d :hb: 163 12w :hb: 156 20w1d :hb: 145
It's GIRL Number 5!!
:babyg:16 :babyg:6 :angel: 9w5d :babyg:4 :babyg: 26months
Just1more
Angel
Angel

Postby Just1more » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 am

Now as I re-read your question you want a compare/contrast. So my 3 other births I went into labor naturally. The first was LOONNGGG because it was my first (on my EDD)I'm sure so I won't count that one. The other 2 the only difference between my induction vs going into labor naturally was it was spontaneous and 2 weeks early on top of that so it was like oh crap get the bags, make last minute arrangements for the girls and etc. My last labor was so quick I went natural no drugs. That was pretty scary since I was not expecting to be denied the epi. I want to try to labor naturally again this time and have it be my choice so I would prefer going naturally again but if I changed my mind I wouldn't mind either way.
Me: 32 DH:32
9w1d :hb: 163 12w :hb: 156 20w1d :hb: 145
It's GIRL Number 5!!
:babyg:16 :babyg:6 :angel: 9w5d :babyg:4 :babyg: 26months
Just1more
Angel
Angel

Return to Labor & Delivery