How long can you wait after water breaks....

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How long can you wait after water breaks....

Postby jessica0509 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:33 pm

So I was wondering how long you can wait to go to hospital after water breaks if you havent started having contractions yet. With my first My water broke and I immediately went in and after maybe an hour they gave me pitocin because I wasnt having contrations on my own. I really really really dont want pitocin again! TIA!
me 34
DH 35
DS1 17
DS2 3 born cinco de mayo 09
DS#3 due May 21!
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
jessica0509
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: How long can you wait after water breaks....

Postby BeccaM » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:24 pm

OB's are probably more likely to want to rush you in than a midwife would.... I have heard it's completely normal for your body to take 12 - 48 hrs to go into labor after the water breaks. The only difficulty might be if you tested positive for GBS--they like to get you on antibiotics pretty much right away.

If I were YOU (which I am not, LOL) I would try to wait it out at home for a while before going in, considering what happened last time!

BTW, I am not sure how far along you are but I have heard you can help prevent the water breaking before labor starts by taking extra Vitamin C, bioflavenoids and eating a lot of vegetables and good protein while pregnant. Evidently that makes your amniotic sac stronger. I have been trying it this pregnancy--hope it helps!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Answered_Prayers » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:17 pm

My water did not break the first or second time. So, I cant answer your question. However, if you do not want any drugs no one can force you.
Married for 9 years to my DH
DD-5 yrs.
DD2- Newborn born 12/24/12

1 Samuel 1:27
I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.

Answered_Prayers
Star Member
Star Member

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:30 pm

If you're GBS positive, you need to go in right away. Also, if the fluid is green, your baby stops moving as much, or you start develop a fever, you would need to go in. Otherwise, you could probably wait at home for a few hours if everything is going ok. If contractions don't start, it might not be a bad idea to head in to your doctor because the risk of infection starts to increase after your water has been broken for 24 hours. Therefore, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get things moving after a few hours so that you don't go too far beyond the 24 hour mark.
Me: 28 DH: 30
My blog: http://ttcwithpcosrpl.blogspot.com
8w3d :angel: 5w0d :angel: 4w3d :angel:
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

:hb: Our little miracle Mason arrived on February 22, 2012! :hb:

Expecting TWINS June 2014 after just one round of treatments! :shock:

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby momof7 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:19 am

I know the birthing center here where I live an ob or midwife you have to deliver in 24 hrs of your water breaking.
momof7
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ahenderson05 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Barring any complications like GBS+ or meconium in the fluid, my midwife said to wait it out at home. If it gets close to 24 hours with no contractions then go in.
Amanda (33) DH (34) H(13) M(9) K(5) C (2) G (1)

ahenderson05
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby angellady » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:58 pm

My waters broke and I went in 16 hrs later but because I didnt deliver within 24 hrs I had to be monitored as risk of infection goes up. Ended up 29 hrs later having emergency c section :( hoping this time around is better for me
Me - Laura 27
DH - Liam 31

DS - Jack 3

Expecting #2 Oct 15th
angellady
Addicted
Addicted

Postby kaylaxkitten » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:56 am

w/ DD my water broke at 12am and I got to the hospital around 3am...my contractions started at 4am and progressed VERY quickly! As others said, you dont need to take any drugs or do anything you dont want to!!
kaylaxkitten
Addicted
Addicted

Postby KJ511 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:15 am

Did you have your LO yet??? How did it go?
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby bazil323 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Fyi for any stumbling across this thread late like me: Hospitals and some birth centers put you on a 24 hour clock to deliver after membrane break, meaning they will most likely want you on Pitocin within 12 hours of membrane rupture unless you are already progressing well (and some are aggressive and want you on it regardless). However, the risk of infection due to membranes breaking comes mostly from cervical checks. Everything is being pushed out by your fliud unless someone pushes it (and any bacteria from your perineum or vagina or their hand) right up into your cervix. So just making them keep their fingers out of you greatly reduces the infection risk.

Unless the fluid had meconium or was foul smelling, you can just refuse pit and cervical checks, or avoid the issue by laboring at home ss long as you can stand it. Or plan a home birth with a good midwife.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Labor & Delivery