Bowels "cleaning out" before delivery

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Bowels "cleaning out" before delivery

Postby LC810 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:19 am

Sorry for TMI - but seriously, this is an L&D forum. And gross things happen when you talk about labor and delivery.

I've read that bowels can sometimes clean-out (AKA nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) prior to delivery. Did it happen to you? How long did it last? How bad was it? How much time between the clean-out and actual labor?

I only ask because I've been having symptoms for several days. Today is Sunday and I'm 36 weeks today. My stomach has not been right since Wednesday.

Wed - no appetite, loose-ish (but not frequent) stools
Thu - same as Wed with bad cramping, difficulty walking. Went to L&D. Was dilated 1cm and 25% effaced. Sent home
Fri - same as Thu, didn't go to hospital. Slept all day, assumed I had a stomach bug.
Sat - stools became almost all water, 10x per day. Still no appetite. Cramping stayed the same. Called OB, told me to hydrate hydrate hydrate (duh - been doing that). Cramping improved as the day progressed. Diarrhea continued.
Sun - Starting out just like Saturday so far....
LC810

Re: Bowels "cleaning out" before delivery

Postby momof7 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 am

It sounds like maybe you do have a bug. I only had it with my first pregnancy and my bowels cleared out as labor started. It was normal it wasn't loose but I went like 4 times and as the last time I went is when contractions picked up. I have had ten pregnancies now and that's the only time that happened. Good luck.
momof7
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby BeccaM » Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 am

Not sure... my bowels have "cleaned out" with both my babies, but not complete diarrhea. More just loose stools and I have to go constantly all day, but I didn't have an upset stomach or feel sick. With my second, it lasted longer. I also had several days of cramps/BH/mild contractions that came and went, instead of just going into labor suddenly like I did with my 1st. So, yes, I think it does happen, but I'm sure everyone experiences it differently.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessisamommy » Tue May 14, 2013 5:18 pm

I definitely experienced this. The day that I went into labor, I had my bloody show, I threw up my breakfast (peed myself while throwing up due to pressure) and then immediately after throwing up I had diarrhea (tmi). I had my baby that evening. :)

Goodluck!! Kup
Jesswantstobeamommy in the TTC boards

1 dd
1 ds on the way!

jessisamommy

Postby stefanielynn » Thu May 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I didn't have the lose stools until I was already in labor. I was up in the middle of the night after my contractions woke me, and was in the bathroom off and on for a couple of hours. Nothing before the actual onset of labor, though.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LC810 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:48 pm

I wanted to update all of you on how things went. The nausea, decreased appetite, and loose (but not frequent) stools started on a Wednesday while 35 weeks. I started to get bad cramping every 10 minutes on Thursday and went to L&D, but everything was normal. The loose, but not frequent stools continued on Thursday and Friday. On Saturday, the loose stools became frequent and watery. They came every 10 minutes with the bad cramping. That continued into Sunday. On Monday, the cramping was gone and I went back to just loose but infrequent stools. Bottom line? I think it was a stomach bug.

I'm 36 weeks now and my appetite, plus everything else, are back to normal. I'm not even having cramping / BH contractions anymore.
LC810

Postby tylerplus1more » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 am

With my ds the day my water broke and maybe 1/2 the day before I didn't have loose bms but definitely frequent. Every time I had a contraction that day I went bm... I didn't really realize they were contractions until that evening when my water broke and I was like OH! That's why lol I thought they were bh before my water broke but I realize they were real ones...
Christy(me)-28 Doug(DH)-32
DS-6yrs-06/10/07
BFP 5/5/13 - EDD 1/16/14
Having repeat c-section

U/S 7w3d- baby measured perfectly! Heartrate 154!!
U/S 9w0d- baby measured perfect again! Doc says "this one wrote the book on how to grow"
U/S 10w6d- baby measured 11w1d heartrate was 168!!!
13w0d- dr Doppler heartrate 160!!
U/S 17w0d- hr-157 it's a.... BOY!!! Peyton (middle to be decided still)
My BFF is team pink and.....
tylerplus1more
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Labor & Delivery