how to stop another disastrous birth?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

how to stop another disastrous birth?

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 am

i had 2 horrific births one labor in total was well over a week long including induction and pre labor and ended in cesarean section. the 2nd was another induction, 1.5 hours long but both kids were posterior and ended up in distress when i got to 8-9 cm. my 2nd i managed to deliver vaginally but with forceps but the whole experience was terrifying i ended up with infections in the stitches with both of them and being very unwell and staying in for 3 days. breastfeeding never took off and i suffered with PPD. the cause for this was the fact both of them were posterior with head flexing backwards instead of chin on the chest. how can i stop this from happening again? i suffer with SPD and some positions for me to stand and sit in are impossible. and sleeping is horrible. i think i had more pain from seperating my legs for birth than the contractions themselves. what is the chance this could happen again? midwives seem to think its unrelated and just chance but im not so sure. any advice would be much appreciated

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: how to stop another disastrous birth?

Postby Txjess4 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 am

Hey Hun! I'm so sorry about your labor experiences, those sound downright awful :-/. I'm a First timer so unfortunately I have no real experience with this but my midwife an out natural birth coach have us a list of exercises to do throughout pregnancy to help keep baby in an anterior position..things like spending time on all fours, doing pelvic tilts/rocks in that position, walking at least some during the day, and trying not to sit in a reclined position or on your back as this encourages baby to be posterior. She said a lot of people nowadays are having posterior babies because we sit and lounge on soft couches and chairs versus sitting upright. Oh she also told me not to stand with my legs crossed as that can move baby in a bad positio too..

HTH some!

Second Little one EDD: 7/13/16
Txjess4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Robbie88 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:36 am

Hey Jess! That is awesome advice! Are those tips you are supposed to use all the time or just in labour? Just wondering because I am a major lounger and loooove being reclined so it would be good to know now if i should stop these habits haha
Robbie88
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Txjess4 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Robbie, they're definitely for pre-labor an I'm sure during labor too :) she said you want to be constantly encouraging baby to stay in a good position! I can vouch they work too! I had to go to the ER a while back for severe back pain, ad turns out baby was posterior so I spent some time on all fours and doing pelvic rocks and he turned! Instant relief! I love lounging too, but I def try and be more mindful of not doing it--especially now when I can feel him and his positions!

Second Little one EDD: 7/13/16
Txjess4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Robbie88 wrote:Are those tips you are supposed to use all the time or just in labour?

All the time towards the end. You want baby head down before labor begins. I got an exercise ball and sat on that constantly for a few months beforehand.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meganmarie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:09 am

I recommended doing prenatal yoga. I don't know if it will help with the baby's position (it seems like it would since many of the moves are similar to what txjess mentioned), but it will definitely help with back pain and keep your joints and muscles stretched. I did it religiously during my last pregnancy...I would hobble in with the worst sciatic pain and leave feeling like a million bucks!
Team Green!

DD is 7, DS is 4

meganmarie
Angel
Angel

Postby litmajor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 am

^ I did prenatal yoga too. I imagine it would help with position, and it just makes you feel better, mentally and physically. Shiva Rea has a fairly cheap DVD that I used that has positions for all three trimesters.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Check out spinningbabies.com for some tips on ideal positions to encourage baby to get in proper position.
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:37 am

I did stretches and yoga all through out my pregnancy (Classical Stretch program by Miranda Esmonde-white is AWESOME!!), walked every day and did pelvic rocks and exercises to flip breech babies--legs up on couch, bum in the air and upper body on floor. I also sat on an exercise ball all the time in the last month. I made a conscious effort to not slouch back hardly ever. I also went to the chiropractor every few weeks, which made my back and hips feel much better. I highly recommend! All of those things really help optimize baby's position and strengthen and stretch your muscles and ligaments properly to prevent pregnancy related pain.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:52 pm

I researched the heck out of posterior babes when DD2 was posterior at 38 weeks. DD1 was posterior, and while her birth wasn't disastrous, it was excruciating. I'm a no-meds gal, so I was willing to do anything to get DD2 to pivot before labor so I wouldn't have to endure another 10-hour transition. Here are the links in my bookmarks:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/postrppr.html
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/position.html

I also recall http://www.spinningbabies.com having a lot of great info. (Don't be turned off by the "natural birthing" websites, if that's not your thing. Good positioning is important no matter how you plan to labor.)

I took all the suggestions, as odd as they sounded (crawling around the house on all fours for hours a day, anyone?) but they worked and DD2 was in perfect position for delivery. Water breaking to babe in my arms was an easy peasy 30 minutes or less. A lot of other factors went into that but I'm a huge believer in the fact that fetal positioning makes a HUGE difference in your labor and delivery. I only wish I knew it when pg with DD1!
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tange86 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:44 am

I know this is forever late but some people may look.

Another thing to do is the Miles circuit:

http://www.milescircuit.com/the-circuit.html
Me:29 Him:33
Our First

March 28th :bfp: @ 9dpo
March 30th: beta 85 @ 11dpo
May 7th: 1st Appt, Measuring 9weeks :hb: 169
May 28th: 12 week, Labs are fantastic, heard the placenta on the left and baby in the middle!
June 3rd: NT Scan, Labs came back great, Expecting a Healthy Baby! 12,6 weeks :hb: 151
June 24th: Elective Ultrasound :future baby girl:
August 3rd: 21,4 :hb: 140

Photo Shoot Preview:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133247983@N02/sets/72157653052901175/with/17820142181/
Tange86
Angel
Angel

Return to Labor & Delivery